FEATURED Be a Cowboys fan (within the rules) the way you want

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
Realest thing right here Bob! Basically if you don't agree or align with what my feelings are, you're not a good Cowboys fan. It's good to have different opinions when it comes to this team, but the one common thing at the end of the day, we want this team to win and be successful. Every season isn't going to be great, but man, there's so many small things that can improve to make this team so much better

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Realest thing right here Bob! Basically if you don't agree or align with what my feelings are, you're not a good Cowboys fan. It's good to have different opinions when it comes to this team, but the one common thing at the end of the day, we want this team to win and be successful. Every season isn't going to be great, but man, there's so many small things that can improve to make this team so much better
Well said Coogs!

rambo2

Reaction score

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Here’s my bigger point…

It's not the Cowboys front office, it's all front offices that lack ability in drafting a 1st round qb. More than 80% of them are not going to be as good as Dak.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Here’s my bigger point…

Well, I agree.
I just can't believe they've had trey lance all this time and they haven't figured out that he needs to be in a different system then a pocket quarterback.
For heaven's sake, get Scott Linehan in here to run the 2016 offense and watch Trey look like a world beater.
This is why so many players fail in the national football league. Teams insist on putting a square peg in a round hole when it comes to skillsets.
I can promise you it's gonna be a while before Trey fits in your standard NFL pocket.
a long while, so hopefully they'll make an adjustment and move him around a lot. Otherwise, we will be drafting a quarterback in the early first round next year

That will be Jerry's last chance to get it right before I rent a large Billboard outside of AT&T stadium.
Putting a very inappropriate saying on it including the words "go and yourself "

nalam

The realist
Reaction score

Here’s my bigger point…

:star::star::flagwave::hammer::bow:

Well said Bob , I guess the frustration has got better of lot of longtime fans and that boils out and goes on misdirected to some difference of opinions. But people need to chill and remember we are all Cowboys fans and looking for the common goal for the success of the team at highest level.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What I see is the biggest problem with drafting QBs is not realizing that outside of some basic physical traits such as decent size and a good arm, its all about what is between the ears.

Look at how many teams fall in love with the physical freaks who have ten cent heads (Jumongous being the most obvious of many)

The QBs that make it all make it with their brains not their arms or legs

Knowing what you need and not reaching is the key to drafting a QB well

but way too many teams do not follow that rule

gtb1943

Reaction score
:star::star::flagwave::hammer::bow:

Well said Bob , I guess the frustration has got better of lot of longtime fans and that boils out and goes on misdirected to some difference of opinions. But people need to chill and remember we are all Cowboys fans and looking for the common goal for the success of the team at highest level.
well that is not true. bluntly speaking you have fans of certain players who are not really cowboy fans
and some who claim to be cowboys fans who are simply here to get attention
while I have not been a Cowboys fan as long as Bobhaze (watching the SB we lost to Baltimore is what got me started) I grew up as a Landry guy and at first I did resent JJ but saw how dedicated he was to winning and I was then fine with him. I even tolerated Barry to an extent; and Chan Gailey as well. My nadir was campo. Loved it when BP was brought in. Wade I was willing to give a chance to but saw his lack of discipline would in the end doom us. Ginger I thought might be good after his interim year but it only took me two more years to see he was not it. Jethro of course disagreed.
MM is kind of meh to me; but I have long since realized the big problem is and always has been Big and Little Enos.
I will never not be a fan of the Boys but my tolerance for mediocrity and relevancy is minimal at best

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Well, I agree.
I just can't believe they've had trey lance all this time and they haven't figured out that he needs to be in a different system then a pocket quarterback.
For heaven's sake, get Scott Linehan in here to run the 2016 offense and watch Trey look like a world beater.
This is why so many players fail in the national football league. Teams insist on putting a square peg in a round hole when it comes to skillsets.
I can promise you it's gonna be a while before Trey fits in your standard NFL pocket.
a long while, so hopefully they'll make an adjustment and move him around a lot. Otherwise, we will be drafting a quarterback in the early first round next year

That will be Jerry's last chance to get it right before I rent a large Billboard outside of AT&T stadium.
Putting a very inappropriate saying on it including the words "go and yourself "
This offense is clearly the wrong offense for Lance's skill set, I'm not even sure if it's the right offense for Dak?

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Well said Coogs!
Just for the record, when I turn it around on the people who yell at us for "wrongfan" I do so for purposes of exposing how absurd they are behaving. I don't do so because I want them to change how they cheer for Dallas. I don't care if they are a homer. I care when I or others get attacked, and the thread hijacked away from being about the Dallas to Cowboys to being about how I choose to support or criticize the team.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just for the record, when I turn it around on the people who yell at us for "wrongfan" I do so for purposes of exposing how absurd they are behaving. I don't do so because I want them to change how they cheer for Dallas. I don't care if they are a homer. I care when I or others get attacked, and the thread hijacked away from being about the Dallas to Cowboys to being about how I choose to support or criticize the team.
I understand how you feel about that. A lot of my opinions get excoriated here. But thats ok. It’s an opinion forum. Just because someone says if you criticize a player or management that you aren’t “a real fan” doesn’t make it true.

Creeper

Reaction score
Good post. We are all Cowboys fans or we wouldn't care about the Cowboys, and we wouldn't be spending our time in a Cowboys forum. I've been a Cowboys fan since I was a kid and I am 71 now. I am not going anywhere as far as this team is concerned. But over the years I have adjusted the way I root for the team or follow the team. I fought in the Packers wars of the 1990s when Cowboys and Packers fans battled it out in the text based NFL Newsgroups. I fought Swami, slaneman, Mikey Wilson and Heimer! Those were battles for the ages. But now, I don't engage with other fans. They do their thing, I do mine. It's all good.

But back then the Cowboys were perennial winners. Not so much today. It is harder being a Cowboys fan. We have all had to adapt to a different era.