FEATURED Be a Cowboys fan (within the rules) the way you want

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I'm not going to feign respect for people who claim to be fans but a) do not think the team can win and b) do not want them to win so that they can be right.

Nope.

starfan1

Reaction score
show me a lombardi this century
show me a championship game this century
those happy with relevancy are not true cowboys fans
el torro poo poo!! that stance is no better than the pom pom waving stance. Just because the cowboys haven't performed as well in the salary cap era and people still love them and are a year in and year out fan, And dont jump off the ledge because they didn't get to the championship game doesn't make them any less of a fan than you

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
you really think the posters whose first response to anything that isn't 100% in line with their view is "hater" or "troll" are going to change?
No. That particular point-of-view is unfortunate in my opinion.

That said, there has been a recent conversational shift, combining narrow-minded morality along with labeling another member as a hater, troll, etc. What has slowly crept into forum discussion is the categorization of fellow fans being either good or evil depending on their stance on any particular topic.

Hopefully, that particular turn-for-the-worst is a twisted temporary fad. It is one thing to disagree with others in a conversation. It is a far different thing believing other members are less important as a person than the actual person doing the labeling. It is a disturbing beginning that should be voluntarily halted--before it evolves into something quite ugly.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
Coming here every day 24x7x365 and crapping on a player or a coach or ownership is not being a good fan. There’s fans here who do nothing but that. You know who they are. Don’t try and tell me thats ok. It isn’t.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
To a certain degree, I respectfully disagree, BH. You believe the great Coaches Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson would be okay with constant berating of their teams, coaches and players? I highly doubt it. Pretty sure they would tell those certain fans to go seek their happiness elsewhere or to come give it a try themselves if they thought they could do better.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Thank you! I want to add that just because a fan, like myself, doesn't think the current QB is the one that can lead us to a SB, doesn't mean I am not rooting for him to do so. I have zero faith that this team, with this QB and this HC, can win a championship.. but I have never and I would never ever even think about rooting for them to not be successful.

I am also well aware that if I got my wish and Dak was released tomorrow, that the times ahead would be dark and we wouldn't win as many games over the next couple of years. But sometimes you need the hard times to get to the good times. There would not have any been the dynasty of the 90's without 88 and 89 tough years.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To a certain degree, I respectfully disagree, BH. You believe the great Coaches Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson would be okay with constant berating of their teams, coaches and players? I highly doubt it. Pretty sure they would tell those certain fans to go seek their happiness elsewhere or to come give it a try themselves if they thought they could do better.
Tom and Jimmy didn't HAVE to listen to it. They won.

So that's all you have to do...it's what we expect from the legacies of Tom and Jimmy.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thank you! I want to add that just because a fan, like myself, doesn't think the current QB is the one that can lead us to a SB, doesn't mean I am not rooting for him to do so. I have zero faith that this team, with this QB and this HC, can win a championship.. but I have never and I would never ever even think about rooting for them to not be successful.

I am also well aware that if I got my wish and Dak was released tomorrow, that the times ahead would be dark and we wouldn't win as many games over the next couple of years. But sometimes you need the hard times to get to the good times. There would not have any been the dynasty of the 90's without 88 and 89 tough years.
That's right! When you remodel kitchen or bath...it gets WAY worse than what you didn't like to begin with. But the end result is something to be proud of.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This offense is clearly the wrong offense for Lance's skill set, I'm not even sure if it's the right offense for Dak?
it's not, Dak needs to be in the same offense as 2016 except he can no longer scramble. that's why he's pretty much done in the NFL

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They didn't always win. They had their share of some rough years. Regardless, I know they wouldn't have put up with such unruly, tasteless and constant bickering fans we see today.
And the couple "rough years"...followed by championships. Dude...come on.

You think there weren't "nasty" people and comments back then? Dude...come on!

I'm kinda curious how old you are.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
I support the team....that's why I don't agree with the way some fans are, just like they don't agree with me. I don't respect some, laugh at others....but, I also know some troll on purpose to have some fun and stoke the embers. It's all good.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Realest thing right here Bob! Basically if you don't agree or align with what my feelings are, you're not a good Cowboys fan. It's good to have different opinions when it comes to this team, but the one common thing at the end of the day, we want this team to win and be successful. Every season isn't going to be great, but man, there's so many small things that can improve to make this team so much better
What are those small things and how would you implement them? Please share your thoughts.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

If one says it's fair for some fans to ridicule and chastise the team, it's also fair to expect backlash from those who fully support the team through good and bad. Fair is fair. It can't be a one way street.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If one says it's fair for some fans to ridicule and chastise the team, it's also fair to expect backlash from those who fully support the team through good and bad. Fair is fair. It can't be a one way street.
Depends on your definition of "backlash".

mrmojo

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I lived through all those years and great teams and not-so great teams. They all got critcized, Landry for being next years champions and not bein able to get them over the hump and the game passing him bu in his later years, Johnson for that 1-15 year fans/media were ready to run him out of town, even Roger was criticized in the year they didnt make the playoffs and Longley is waht people wanted.

They probably put up with it more back in the day from local media and radio outlets becuse they did win, and were always in the news.