FEATURED Be a Cowboys fan (within the rules) the way you want

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
Great post. Ultimately the end goal is to win. Guys praying for 4 win seasons? Can’t be me but that’s ok.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't backpeddle. You know what it means. If you can give heat, make sure you can take it.
It's not a backpedal at all...what is wrong with you? You can't have a civil adult conversation. This is exactly the problem here.....you just automatically go on the offensive.

Being critical of Dallas Cowboys failure isn't "giving heat". Insulting one for it...is.

Still need a definition

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
I see it this way:

I want to express whatever opinion I have about this team. And no matter how negative others see it, it's my opinion. So I'll enjoy a good back and forth with any other Cowboys fan and can totally accept his/her fandom.

But when someone tells me, I'm not a real fan or should go look for another team I will not let that stand. And we have at least three of these jokers here on the boards. And these three can go **** themselves.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It's not a backpedal at all...what is wrong with you? You can't have a civil adult conversation. This is exactly the problem here.....you just automatically go on the offensive.

Being critical of Dallas Cowboys failure isn't "giving heat". Insulting one for it...is.
I literally watched you guys go back and forth with each other and you asked him how old he was to insinuate he’s a child. You can’t keep trying to dissect the problem while ignoring your contributions.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
One of the ways Webster defines the term pragmatic is “practical as opposed to idealistic”. When it comes to my Cowboys fandom - that‘s me. Practical. Do “whatever it takes to win.” I’m not stuck on any particular player being the answer. Winning is more important to me than having a pet cat. I want to win and anyone who gives us a better shot to win is who I want. From the Front office to the punter. But…no one else has to agree with that, lol.

Let me also clarify my position on who should be the starting QB for Cowboys. The QB I want is whoever can give us the best shot to win that we currently have on the roster or have a realistic shot to get now or in the near future. I would not mind at all if this team moves on from Dak…IF…If we have someone better or we find someone who has the realistic potential to be better. As of today, I don’t see that QB on this roster. If I did, I would happily say so. Sadly, I also have zero confidence in this front office‘s ability to draft a first round QB of the future.(And anyone is free to disagree with me!)

Watching Trey Lance, a guy in his 4th NFL season, look like a Day 3 drafted rookie instead of the third pick in the 2021 draft did not encourage me at all. Sure he has two more PS games against backups and future Home Depot guys to show us something more. There’s a reason he was available last summer in that trade. But if he wows us somehow in some amazing turnaround maybe. Count me skeptical. But I could also always be happily wrong.

Here’s my bigger point…
I have followed this team for 60 years now starting at age six when my Dad took me to a Cowboys game at the Cotton Bowl. I have literally seen every Cowboys playoff game in their entire history. (All on TV by the way) I love the Dallas Cowboys. Which also means I don’t always agree with what they do. Kinda like my wife, lol. Love her dearly, but we certainly don’t agree on everything. Doesn’t mean we don’t love and support each other.

So when anyone says Cowboys fans should meet some definition of what it means to be a good Cowboys fan, I find that humorous. Lord knows I want to win or I wouldn’t be here. I support any way a Cowboys fan wants to express their good or bad feelings (within the rules), who they like or dislike, etc. The one thing I don’t support is any of us telling a fellow Cowboys fan how to be ”a good Cowboys fan”.

Let‘s support our favorite team - and our fellow fans - the way we all choose to. It’s what makes this forum great.
I think the thing with Lance that a lot of people ignore is that he hadn't played in an NFL game in years. It takes time to knock off rust. Look at Watson. He was really good, then didn't play for however long and looked terrible in what little time he played last year. Give the guy more than one PS game. Dak has had 9 years now and still isn't getting it.

plasticman

Reaction score

Here’s my bigger point…

Another great post with a common sense perspective. I have been a fan for 55 years myself and the way I approach being a fan has only changed through age and maturity.....but not much, lol.

My passion for this team appears ambiguous to those unfamiliar with being a "diehard" fan. After so many seasons, both exciting and disappointing, I have certainly come to understand what is meant by the term "diehard". I think you have to live it to understand it.

I certainly agree that I am not obligated to love every aspect of my team. In fact, it is my deep affection for this team and all the memories that I am such a profound critic of it's present owner.

There are times when it feels like my loyalty has been used against me, as if it has been taken prisoner. My emotional investment in the team has been captured by someone that does not share the total commitment to continuing this team's legacy. Instead, he is leveraging the team's history for both wealth and unearned prestige.

It is so frustrating, especially since I cannot escape the impact that the Cowboys have on my life. I can cite different periods of my life by referencing the Cowboys games that were played at the time.

My high school years coincided with the success of the early 70's, their first two SB's. My mother passed away the day after Roger Staubach separated his shoulder during a preseason game prior to the 1972 season.

My military service in Alaska and my time in Denver occurred during the late 70's and the Super Bowl runs in 1977 and 1978.

I was rebuilding my life after divorce at the same time Jimmy Johnson was rebuilding the Cowboys. Super Bowl 27 was played on my 36th birthday. My father passed away 5 minutes after the Cowboys drafted Mike Jenkins in 2008.

Some say that my fandom has evolved into a love/hate relationship with the team but, hey, those are just both sides of the same coin and that coin is passion.

I don't judge the nature and intensity of other fan's feelings towards the team and only get upset when others try to critique mine. We all have different and diverse lifestyles that few can understand. Mutual respect is the key.

rambo2

Reaction score
They Cowboys have accomplished less than 27 other teams in the 21st Century, and 3 of them have a shot to change that soon.
They have done better than 30 teams in the last 3 years. Fans of other teams would like that.

rambo2

Reaction score
Good post. We are all Cowboys fans or we wouldn't care about the Cowboys, and we wouldn't be spending our time in a Cowboys forum. I've been a Cowboys fan since I was a kid and I am 71 now. I am not going anywhere as far as this team is concerned. But over the years I have adjusted the way I root for the team or follow the team. I fought in the Packers wars of the 1990s when Cowboys and Packers fans battled it out in the text based NFL Newsgroups. I fought Swami, slaneman, Mikey Wilson and Heimer! Those were battles for the ages. But now, I don't engage with other fans. They do their thing, I do mine. It's all good.

But back then the Cowboys were perennial winners. Not so much today. It is harder being a Cowboys fan. We have all had to adapt to a different era.
The record of the current Cowboys is just like Landry's Cowboys of the late 60's.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
To a certain degree, I respectfully disagree, BH. You believe the great Coaches Tom Landry or Jimmy Johnson would be okay with constant berating of their teams, coaches and players? I highly doubt it. Pretty sure they would tell those certain fans to go seek their happiness elsewhere or to come give it a try themselves if they thought they could do better.
The organization would of course prefer all fans be more cheerleaders than critics .

That’s just not reality though and they know it. It’s why they tell players to ignore or block out the noise. Much like fans who can’t handle should do here as well.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Coming here every day 24x7x365 and crapping on a player or a coach or ownership is not being a good fan. There’s fans here who do nothing but that. You know who they are. Don’t try and tell me thats ok. It isn’t.
But again, that’s your take or view. Which is fine if it works for you.

Whatever works for you within the law in public or within the rules is ok. Regardless whether it turns us off or not .

If fans have ever attended a game it’s a great example .

btgboys41

Reaction score

Here’s my bigger point…

Great post sir!

Almost every post is a hamster wheel where a poster breaks from commenting on the topic, and instead zeroes in on the poster(s) and away we go. The fan police.

I don’t really understand that much insecurity or vulnerability but no doubt this forum would be greater, the more the topics are debated and commented on. I also think there’s a ton more posters who would engage more if the threads weren’t devolved into poster criticism so quickly and regularly.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Here’s my bigger point…

I agree with most of your points. The only caveat with our team is it run as a business first that prioritizes profits and revenue projections as its main objectives. Which should be the goal but risk and opportunities is also valuable in business.

It's funny if a team doesn't spend because their revenue is not as robust as Dallas they are called cheap by media and fans.

Dallas has more incoming revenue but safe decisions are prioritize so the revenue projections are met year ove year. So we draft well and then pay a select few high end compensation. Chances to uplift the team are negated because annual value can be disrupted. This is not a franchise chasing titles any longer.

We are chasing solid annual revenues. IMO, it is evident the players understand this (agent driven likely) and they react accordingly. Why not?

Knowing the true direction of the team makes the fan in me question the whole team.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The record of the current Cowboys is just like Landry's Cowboys of the late 60's.
The 60’s team reached the NFL title game twice with much less playoff games to get there. And were basically a play away in each game from making Super Bowl.

It also was an up and coming team surging upwards which the 70’s was the culmination of.

What was more similar was how that 60’s team choked in playoffs in 68 and 69 with high hopes after great regular season . That’s really about it.

rambo2

Reaction score
The 60’s team reached the NFL title game twice with much less playoff games to get there. And were basically a play away in each game from making Super Bowl.

It also was an up and coming team surging upwards which the 70’s was the culmination of.

What was more similar was how that 60’s team choked in playoffs in 68 and 69 with high hopes after great regular season . That’s really about it.
They were very similar record wise from 1968 through the 1st 9 games of 1970. The fans were very upset.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I understand how you feel about that. A lot of my opinions get excoriated here. But thats ok. It’s an opinion forum. Just because someone says if you criticize a player or management that you aren’t “a real fan” doesn’t make it true.
It all comes down to these fans who are frustrated with the opinion and instead of attempting to argue their stance simply attack and or attempt to discredit their fandom cause their argument is weak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They were very similar record wise from 1968 through the 1st 9 games of 1970. The fans were very upset.
If the results turn in these next couple years turn into Super Bowls, then they are similar.

And remember the frustration and criticism from those late 60’s arguably forced our Ring of Honor QB to retire early.

rambo2

Reaction score
If the results turn in these next couple years turn into Super Bowls, then they are similar.

And remember the frustration and criticism from those late 60’s arguably forced our Ring of Honor QB to retire early.
That's right, and he was a bloody mess after that last Brown's game.