Be honest, is this defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWOK11

Reaction score
Absolutely

This unit is better than the 2016 Falcons (who should have won the SB) and 2018 Rams, and no worse than the 2014 Patriots, 2016 Patriots and 2017 Eagles.

pansophy

Reaction score
It's early so it's hard to tell. Quinn is going to help a lot. The next two weeks will be very telling on both sides of the ball. I have more faith in the offense than defense by a big stretch, which is some amazing news in itself.

kskboys

Reaction score
Generally, to have a super bowl D you have to be strong up the middle. We're not. So, no, I doubt if we have a super bowl D at this point, though we definitely aren't far off.

Falcons had Grady Jarrett and and stalwart Jon Babineaux at the DT positions. They were very strong up the middle. Their D got trashed at the end due to being gassed which was due to ATL's quick strike O. This has been a common theme throughout NFL history. Quick strike O's gas your D.

Silly

Reaction score
You bet it is. All we need is for Heath to knock out Edelman and Gordon.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.

On paper, absolutely. This team has got pass rushers, a good DT, sold cover corners, depth, average S play, and great LBs. It has all the elements you would want. Can't be perfect at every position. I hate that Rod has them playing too passive and they DO NOT cause turnovers but I am not ready to kill them until they get thumped on. Hasn't happened yet. It hasn't been spectacular but the defense has been decent so far. If they were going to trade what would put them over the top??? A quality DT - not going to find that right now. A quality safety - they didn't go all in for Fitzpatrick. The roster is fine. The biggest issue is lack of splash plays. Optics are not great.

johneric8

Reaction score
Right now our dline has a ways to go and linebackers need to improve, but some of it is scheme and soft zone. I think you guys need to realize that this defense potentially will be a work in progress and won't hit all cylinders until later in the year. There is no way that we're going to stand pat and not improve with some trades and scheme changes if needed. No way Jerrah lets this defense slip on his watch if we continue to win. I really believe it's a work in progress and good enough to keep us in most games, especially with our offense getting better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.

Offense is much better with Moore. However, I dont see this defense being good enough the way it stands today.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Right now our dline has a ways to go and linebackers need to improve, but some of it is scheme and soft zone. I think you guys need to realize that this defense potentially will be a work in progress and won't hit all cylinders until later in the year. There is no way that we're going to stand pat and not improve with some trades and scheme changes if needed. No way Jerrah lets this defense slip on his watch if we continue to win. I really believe it's a work in progress and good enough to keep us in most games, especially with our offense getting better.

They had all the opportunities in the offseason in both trades, draft, FA and they almost did nothing. Save for drafting a project in the 2nd round at DT.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
On any given day.....

Exactly. On any given day the offense may need to score 38 points because the defense gave up 35. Likewise, the defense may need to hold a team to 14 points because the offense only scores 17.

There isn't a magical number. Get into the playoffs and the team needs to do whatever it needs to do that day to win. And I think the team is good enough to do that, so it's possible to win a Super Bowl.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
We keep trying to create a 1 tech, but we really don't how to draft a 1 or a 3.
Until we make some changes on the evaluation process, or change the value of the position, the problem will remain the same.

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Yes. Yesterday we finally got both of our bookend edge rushers on the field at the same time. If we can get Randy Gregory back some time to add to what Tank and Quinn provide, my answer is absolutely yes.

With Zeke and Pollard, we still have the ability to ball control teams to death. That also "protects" our defense.

jday

Reaction score

Your probably not going to like this answer but here goes anyway:

If you were to poll all 32 teams defensive players and coaching staff, I doubt any of them would say they are where they need to be to win a Super Bowl. And, of course, their offenses would likely parrot the same.

So, no, the Cowboys defense isn't where it needs to be but I do think they have all the pieces they need to be competitive. One, they are dealing with injuries and two this defense will get better as the season progresses.

How much better depends completely on them but I honestly don't think they need to add anyone to win a Super Bowl this year.

JayFord

Reaction score
17 - 7 scored in garbage time
21 - 7 scored in garbage time

they good enough

Wood

Reaction score

not yet but there is time. Two things need to happen: 1) DT play needs to get better 2) DB need to come up with some Ints.

Status
Not open for further replies.