Be honest, is this defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.
yes, need to tighten up in some areas, but they have given up some garbage time yards and points. DT is a little bit of concern....

erod

Reaction score
Speaking of defense, the Patriots defense hasn't given up a touchdown since last year against the Chiefs.

Amazing.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Be honest

Remember how different our defense looked at the end of last season, compared to the early stages?

Number1

Reaction score
there is massive talent in the back 7, they'll make enough big plays

especially if they stop dropping INTs

up front we have top notch talent in Lawrence and Collins, and maybe Covington, that's just 3 of 8, the rest are kinda just there

dckid

Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.

Can the Chiefs win the SB with their defense?

Dre11

Reaction score
The things folks aren't seeing is they're good in the important areas, 3rd downs and points allowed. What will make them elite is turnovers

Batman1980

Reaction score
The things folks aren't seeing is they're good in the important areas, 3rd downs and points allowed. What will make them elite is turnovers

What I want is sacks, pocket collapsing and forced fumbles. All of that would lead to interceptions, even with our guys who are allergic to catching.

Dre11

Reaction score
What I want is sacks, pocket collapsing and forced fumbles. All of that would lead to interceptions, even with our guys who are allergic to catching.

We had sacks and pressures last season, still no ints. We get pressure , we make and move and get rid of the ball quick.

starfan1

Reaction score

Rod M defenses are pretty famous for being effective in scoring defense and not yardage allowed. It goes to the whole bend but don,t break 20 to 20 defense that he loves. I dont care for it because i feel when you play the more talented teams that philosophy can bite you in the you know what.

That said its early and Im not overly concerned yet. I would like to see some sacks and definitely more picks and t/o with that said those stone hands and ball awareness skills must improve

Dre11

Reaction score
Rod M defenses are pretty famous for being effective in scoring defense and not yardage allowed. It goes to the whole bend but don,t break 20 to 20 defense that he loves. I dont care for it because i feel when you play the more talented teams that philosophy can bite you in the you know what.

That said its early and Im not overly concerned yet. I would like to see some sacks and definitely more picks and t/o with that said those stone hands and ball awareness skills must improve

His defenses usually get turnovers though. Peanut Tillman has the peanut punch named after him. They got ints too. One thing I do know we play a lot of man coverage and it's harder for picks because you're not facing the qb on most occasions. Whereas in zone you're able to see the qb and can react to the ball.

pupulehaole

Reaction score
What year was it guys when we last saw our corners or safeties making a play on a ball?

starfan1

Reaction score
His defenses usually get turnovers though. Peanut Tillman has the peanut punch named after him. They got ints too. One thing I do know we play a lot of man coverage and it's harder for picks because you're not facing the qb on most occasions. Whereas in zone you're able to see the qb and can react to the ball.

DE Julius Peppers*
DT Henry Melton*
NT Stephen Paea
MLB Brian Urlacher
LB Lance Briggs
LB Nick Roach
LCB Tim Jennings*
RCB Charles Tillman*
SS Major Wright
FS Chris Conte

here's your difference they had a better roster and I agree with zone vs man but even at that we need to improve ball awareness Awuzi has had passes completed on him on a regular basis if he'd just learn to turn and find the ball.

Dre11

Reaction score
DE Julius Peppers*
DT Henry Melton*
NT Stephen Paea
MLB Brian Urlacher
LB Lance Briggs
LB Nick Roach
LCB Tim Jennings*
RCB Charles Tillman*
SS Major Wright
FS Chris Conte

here's your difference they had a better roster and I agree with zone vs man but even at that we need to improve ball awareness Awuzi has had passes completed on him on a regular basis if he'd just learn to turn and find the ball.

In man when he's in phase, he taught to read the Wr eyes, if he's out of phase he can't turn because He's trying to stay with the receiver therefore can't turn and look he just rips through the arms. But a good Wr is taught to look at the last minute,which is too late for the defender. They just have to keep working they'll come

fredp22

Reaction score
defense is good enough
the head coach may not be. A good coach would win with this team as it is

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Pretty much everyone agrees that Kellen Moore has sections of his playbook on offense that haven't been used yet.

Has anyone considered that the same thing is true for the defense? For the most part, it looks vanilla as hell. I know Marinelli likes a simplistic defense but this seems like most of the defensive plays so far this year have been absolute base defense or prevent. I'm not seeing any zone blitzes, few blitzes of any type, no complicated coverages, etc.

I seriously wonder if the scores and the opponents have kept the defensive playbook mostly under wraps.

starfan1

Reaction score
In man when he's in phase, he taught to read the Wr eyes, if he's out of phase he can't turn because He's trying to stay with the receiver therefore can't turn and look he just rips through the arms. But a good Wr is taught to look at the last minute,which is too late for the defender. They just have to keep working they'll come
that's fair but Byron don't have same issue and hes in man is he not?I'm not terribly concerned yet but would like for him to turn his head

Dre11

Reaction score
that's fair but Byron don't have same issue and hes in man is he not?I'm not terribly concerned yet but would like for him to turn his head

Well he has no ints either, Awuzie has more. Bit I do think Jones plays the technique better.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Yes. Can they carry a team, no, but they can compliment a good offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.