Be honest, is this defense good enough to win a Super Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Don't look up stats, what do your eyes tell you?

If not, should Jerry remain patient or be aggressive and make a trade(s)?

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.
At this point in the season, no.

Last year at 3-5, we were dead in the water. Then we played the heavily favored Saints and won via the defense, because our offense sucked!

The Fins are a bad team, but I saw a defense, regardless who was in front of them, regardless of the record, uniform and logo, play well in the second half.

It took us damn near 8 games last year to play at least “playoff defense”.

This Sunday night is a test. The 1st litmus test of the year! Do our Boys wanna a short plane ride home at 3-1, or that undefeated feeling after a big win in a very hostile environment?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
No. The D is currently playing like crap. It's the perfect example of stats not telling the whole story.

They currently can't get reliable pressure on the QB, and can't seem to get INT's. No.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doesn't need to be good enough today, it needs to be good enough in the the post season. Teams aren't scoring much on us so that is a big sign that we are better than some give us credit for.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
This defense looks just like the defenses we’ve had in the past that have gotten us beat in the playoffs. This D bends too much and although we can get around the QB we can’t get them on the ground enough. The lack of sacks/pressure and turnovers will be our undoing unless we get a lot better. We’ve gotten by against bad teams with average QBs. The only positive with the defense is we haven’t given up many points but that will change against playoff teams. Any defense that bends repeatedly will eventually break. We’re 3-0 because of our offense. We’re getting teams down and forcing them to play catch up. We can definitely win a championship with this offense but not with the defense. The defense will catch up with us if we don’t tighten up.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I'm looking for opinions from posters that actually watch football around the league and know what's waiting for us in the playoffs.

Sounds like a guy who has already decided the answer while pretending to ask a question.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for more trades at this point. The 2nd round pick needs to help toughen up the middle of the run defense and Tank needs to get back to where he was two years ago.

johneric8

Reaction score
They had all the opportunities in the offseason in both trades, draft, FA and they almost did nothing. Save for drafting a project in the 2nd round at DT.
But they did quite a bit in the offseason. Got Quinn, Hyder, Hill, ETC.. I think we all need to give respect to the process of the defense gelling.. There are lots of new moving parts, so it's going to take time. each and every year is different, sometimes defenses come out of the gate and they dominate only to falter, yet some pick up late. Lets hope for the best and see what happens. I believe they'll improve as the season goes personally.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
But they did quite a bit in the offseason. Got Quinn, Hyder, Hill, ETC.. I think we all need to give respect to the process of the defense gelling.. There are lots of new moving parts, so it's going to take time. each and every year is different, sometimes defenses come out of the gate and they dominate only to falter, yet some pick up late. Lets hope for the best and see what happens. I believe they'll improve as the season goes personally.

Correct Quinn is the big one. The other dlineman are nothing impressive.

They had the chance to sign a pro bowl safety and didnt, and they had a chance to draft a few quality ones that dropped in the 2nd round.

johneric8

Reaction score
Correct Quinn is the big one. The other dlineman are nothing impressive.

They had the chance to sign a pro bowl safety and didnt, and they had a chance to draft a few quality ones that dropped in the 2nd round.

If Hill ends up playing very well for the cowboys this year, then the narrative changes a bit on whether or not the cowboys made the right move. Lets not forget that we can only play whom is in front of us and Darian did a good job filling in for Woods and whipping boy Heath brought the hammer... All I'm saying is that it's too early to know the full story, don't you remember how everyone talked about all the moves the FO made to the Dline in the off season? There is no way to tell how much of a help Hill is going to end up being this year only one game into his pro career. Personally I see some good things with him that could potentially blossom.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If Hill ends up playing very well for the cowboys this year, then the narrative changes a bit on whether or not the cowboys made the right move. Lets not forget that we can only play whom is in front of us and Darian did a good job filling in for Woods and whipping boy Heath brought the hammer... All I'm saying is that it's too early to know the full story, don't you remember how everyone talked about all the moves the FO made to the Dline in the off season? There is no way to tell how much of a help Hill is going to end up being this year only one game into his pro career. Personally I see some good things with him that could potentially blossom.

Heath did have that great hit. Too bad we dont see more of those. He also had a nice one in the flat.

At this time I dont see anything from Hill. But I didnt expect anything. Strength seems to be his main issue. Its not like Taco where he was slow off the ball, looked lazy and had terrible body language.

johneric8

Reaction score
Heath did have that great hit. Too bad we dont see more of those. He also had a nice one in the flat.

At this time I dont see anything from Hill. But I didnt expect anything. Strength seems to be his main issue. Its not like Taco where he was slow off the ball, looked lazy and had terrible body language.
Hill is no different than Connor Williams. I know CW gets whipped on this board, but he has improved and could eventually be very very good. He isn't a liabilty at this point and he certainly isn't a Chaz Green, but last year CW looked pretty lost and weak. This year he is much improved and looking like a nice pick with potential to get stronger and more potent. Hill can have this same type of jump after an off season of proper diet and training so I'm off the mindset to see how it all plays out before jumping off a cliff.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This defense is progressing just nicely. There is enough trustworthy depth to keep it at the current levels.

Over the 1st three weeks, the difference between points scored and points allowed...is significantly good and top 5 in the NFL.

The offense will carry the Cowboys to where they end up; but for once, the defense will be helping out.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Trade what? The Joneses aren't trading their early draft picks.

fifaguy

Reaction score
No.
Need help on d-line and in secondary.
Any idea what Jets would be asking for Adams?

John813

Reaction score
Still early, but wish they had more impact from the DT spot.

A bit on the see how it goes with the defense as I'm sure they'll see one of the Rams or Packers in the playoffs.
Two teams that have had their number recently.

Can the front 7 not be washed out every run against the Rams? Can they finally shutdown Rodgers?

To be determined.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Defense in the 2019 NFL might not even exist. It's about having an offense that can score prolifically and a D that can force one or two punts every game. You're not going to shut down any team with a functional passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.