BE HONEST NOW: Who would you rather have at out-side linebacker?

Sinister

Reaction score
Weak-side or strong-side:

Obviously Arrington in the only proven player on the list, and I think he's probably a better weak-side linebacker. He can rush the passer and won't have to worry about the tight-end. The problem with Arrington is that he often is out of position and tends to freelance.

Manny Lawson, having seen him play only once, I really can't make a very good evaluation. I have read though that he would also probably make a better weak-side linebacker.

Kamerion Wimbely, I have no idea, I have never seen him play and honestly haven't read that much about him.

Carpenter, who knows, I do know that the Cowboys already have Ware as the Will. Is Carpenter fast enough to keep up with the tight ends? I do know that he had 8 sacks last year so he can rush the passer, but at this point it's all a guessing game. Ask again in three years, then I'll have the correct answer.

If I had to make a choice right now I'd take Arrington over the rookies.

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
honestly, probably Lavar Arrington.. dont get me wrong, I am very excited about Carpenter, but you never know what you are gonna get with a rookie.. love him or hate him, Arrington is a proven star.. he would no doubt help us get to the Super Bowl this year.. I believe Carp will as well, but you never know..

superpunk

Reaction score
Wimbley.

LaVar is garbage, although he MIGHT still make a decent weakside, already covered in Dallas.

Lawson is raw, but a freak. Just needs some more weight.

Carp I'm more than happy with, perfect Sam LB.

But Wimbley seems to take the better parts of Lawson and Carpenter. I think he's gonna be real good.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I've made no bones about wanting Carpenter for a long time.

I wouldn't have minded Wimbley and I think Dallas actually probably had him higher on their board.

I wasn't real enthused about Lawson playing the strong side and the team's comments after the draft kind of reaffirmed that.

LaVar? No way.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Sinister said:
Weak-side or strong-side:

Obviously Arrington in the only proven player on the list, and I think he's probably a better weak-side linebacker. He can rush the passer and won't have to worry about the tight-end. The problem with Arrington is that he often is out of position and tends to freelance.

yeah Arrington is proven alright...proven to be an overrated, injury plagued player who makes tons of knuckleheaded penalties

we're better off with Carpenter...he is alot younger, he is more sound fundamentally, he plays inside the team concept and he has alot of upside...Arrington offers none of that

oh, and Carp wont cost 50 million either

David

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Lawson if he can get up to the right weight and stay there. Otherwise Wimbley.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
junk said:
LaVar? No way.

Not on the strongside. That is asking for mental errors left and right in coverage. That is why Coughlin putting him there was rather surprising.

superpunk

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Not on the strongside. That is asking for mental errors left and right in coverage. That is why Coughlin putting him there was rather surprising.

:confused: Is he really playing him strong side? I hadn't heard that. I thought maybe we'd see a little of Kiwi there, but LaVar? That makes about zero sense to me.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Alexander said:

I'm just not a fan of the guy period. Not a guy I'd want on my team.

Statistically, he has only had a couple of years that I'd even call above average. Considering his rep for not being able to play within in a system, I just don't think I'd want him.

I think he is one of these "Sportcenter" stars who everyone thinks is a little better than he actually is.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm happy with the selection of Carpenter and I think once people watch Carpenter this season he will remove all doubt about Dallas selecting him.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
superpunk said:
:confused: Is he really playing him strong side? I hadn't heard that. I thought maybe we'd see a little of Kiwi there, but LaVar? That makes about zero sense to me.

Kiwi at LB? :confused:

superpunk

Reaction score
junk said:
Kiwi at LB? :confused:

He's a little big, I know...but I thought maybe they'd trot him out there in running situations, or as kind of an additional end.

They drafted him in round 1 - gotta get him on the field somehow, and it shouldn't be at DE, IMO.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
strong side? Carpenter. weakside Ware. because if you posted this to talk about lawson, then it means you would have to move ware to the strong side.

I don't know much about wimbley, but his measurables are similar to carpenter and he played DE. I wouldn't want arrington, since he would miss half the games.

Alexander

Reaction score
junk said:
I think he is one of these "Sportcenter" stars who everyone thinks is a little better than he actually is.

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Two things:

1) He high hurdled that other player at Penn State. That is worthy of a Canton induction right there.

2) He is the man who single-handedly drove Troy Aikman into retirement.

This is all true.

Commanders fans have educated me over the years.

You would be best served to learn it too.

Alexander

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I'm happy with the selection of Carpenter and I think once people watch Carpenter this season he will remove all doubt about Dallas selecting him.

I believe we will get what we expected, a solid rugged and technically sound player, but not flashy player.

That is what you want at that position. Not some glitzy undersized pass rusher like Lawson. Not some overrated athletic buffoon like Arrington.

Glamour on one side, guts on the other. It works.