Bears Want Williams!

dirt

Reaction score
Roy Williams could be absolutely scary if he had a QB that would throw down field over 4 yards!!!! Did you see the frustration leaking out at the end of the season with Joey?
Is he injury prone though?

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
dirt said:
Roy Williams could be absolutely scary if he had a QB that would throw down field over 4 yards!!!! Did you see the frustration leaking out at the end of the season with Joey?
Is he injury prone though?
he's already set lions rookie receiveing record for TDs, receptions, and yards. he's plenty tough and has a good head on his shoulders.

DaBoyz73

Reaction score
Hostile said:
He has had several "issues" during his time at Michigan. Most (not all) Michigan fans do not like him. I have met several who are pleased he is leaving and wish he had gone last year. He has the label of "disruptive force." When his scouting reports come out you look at the negatives. The top negative on all of them will be his attitude.

That's not necessarily true. But I understand what you are trying to say. I think that Edwards will do well in the NFL.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
DaBoyz73 said:
That's not necessarily true. But I understand what you are trying to say. I think that Edwards will do well in the NFL.
I have never said he won't do well. I have said that Mike Williams has more potential and will be the better WR.

I love how there is an admission that there were some issues but they are completely in the past never to arise again. Forgive me if I don't buy that Pollyanna spin.

He's a good WR but unless we have a shot at Mike Williams I hope we don't bother with offense on Day 1 of the draft. Let someone else have him. Let's fix the defense and make it hard to deal with.

Mike Williams is the only offensive player I have any interest in on Day 1 and that is solely because his ceiling is so high. No one is even close. The only other player in college football on the offensive side of the ball that I would be even close to being as high on is Adrian Peterson and he is not eligible.

This is entirely about potential and ceiling. Nothing more. Not a bias against Michigan, or Edwards.

I say yet again, Williams did as a Freshman and Sophomore what Edwards did as a Junior and Senior. Without having to overcome any "issues."

That matters to me.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
What did the Edwards fans think of David Terrell when he came out?:p David Terrell had good speed running in March workouts in the 4.45 range according to Kiper at 6-3 213.(2001 Draft Guide)

Koren Robinson came out in that same draft running a 4.38 and considered a better WR coming out than former teammate Tory Holt.

WR order in 2001

8. David Terrell
9. Koren Robinson
15. Rod Gardner
16. Santana Moss
30. Reggie Wayne
33. Quincy Morgan
36. Chad Johnson
41. Robert Ferguson
52. Chris Chambers

The top can't miss guys aren't always the best players in the NFL.;)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
speedkilz88 said:
What did the Edwards fans think of David Terrell when he came out?:p David Terrell had good speed running in March workouts in the 4.45 range according to Kiper at 6-3 213.(2001 Draft Guide)

Koren Robinson came out in that same draft running a 4.38 and considered a better WR coming out than former teammate Tory Holt.

WR order in 2001

8. David Terrell
9. Koren Robinson
15. Rod Gardner
16. Santana Moss
30. Reggie Wayne
33. Quincy Morgan
36. Chad Johnson
41. Robert Ferguson
52. Chris Chambers

The top can't miss guys aren't always the best players in the NFL.;)
I'll be honest here, I thought Terrell would be a good pro WR. He's a journeyman so far. Is it his QB or him? That we don't know. I don't dislike Edwards I just prefer we not take him.

dirt

Reaction score
Hostile said:
There were questions about Jerry Rice's and Michael Irvin's speed too. They're only 2 of the greatest WRs ever to strap on helmets. Speed in a WR is way over rated. Other than Randy Moss, who has other amazing attributes, tell me one WR who dominated based solely on his speed.

As anyone who follows the draft knows, about March everyone starts to nit pick and speed is probably one of the top measureables to differentiate players. Guys running a 4.55 will drop and guys running a 4.45 will jump. Can anyone quantify exactly what a .1 of a second translates to on the field? This is why guys like the immortal Mike Mamula suddenly become top 10 draft picks.
As for domination with speed-Bob Hayes may have revolutionized the Wr position with respect to speed and "track guys"
Now if Williams comes out and runs a 4.6- watch the red flags come up. On the other hand, give me a guy that can get separation and create space any day.
Players know that running the 40 is one of the most important draft measureables and that is why they go to these predraft speed camps

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
If it happens you will regret ever wishing that. Mark my words.

Doubtful, even on the off chance he becomes great, I have no fear of the next Keyshawn Johnson, making 5-10 yard catches. I fear guys like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison, you know, guys who actually MAKE plays downfield.

Reaction score
dirt said:
these comments about Edwards' character issues have me baffled. As a lifelong Wolverines fan, I can say he is without a doubt the best receiver to ever come out of Ann Arbor. Physically he is unmatched--this year he was the Terrell Owens of college football. In the past, UM receivers have had speed issues when making the transition to the NFL, but this guy can truly fly.
As for character, Braylon has matured incredibly over the past year. Early last year Carr called him out publicly and that seemed to do the trick. We are talking 17/18 year olds here. In 2004, with a freshman quarterback, Edwards took on the leadership mantle. I was amazed at the support in the press that Edwards gave Henne. Not once was anything uttered that could be construed as whining or criticizing. He was a large part in the development of the young QB. You should have seen him on the sidelines!
He has come light years from when he came in as a freshman with an attitude.
Comparisons to Williams are tough as Williams did not play this year and that could become a negative when scouting reports come out. You know how these scouts are. There will be questions about his speed translating to the NFL--there was talk last year if he was eligible for the draft would he eventually become a TE
AS for Buckeye fan--you got to remember what Terell Owens seems to forget all the time--some one has to throw the ball, 5-6 guys have to block for the QB, so that a WR can be successful--1 guy isnt responsible for a 1-3 mark against OSU. Besides quite a few Buckeyes went on to be successful in the NFL during the 90's--how many in a row did OSU lose to UM? and it didnt affect there drafting status or careers--see Orlando Pace

Finally somebody that knows what they are talking about. About David Terrell I would love to have him on this team I mean do you really expect him to shine in Chicago just take a look at there QBs since he has been there. I'm not saying he is worth getting drafted as high as he did but I think he is still a solid WR if he had someone to throw him the ball. Hos, you always say speed is overrated yes it is but the point is WE NEED SPEED!!!!!!

speedkilz88

Reaction score
D41lasCowboys31 said:
Finally somebody that knows what they are talking about. About David Terrell I would love to have him on this team I mean do you really expect him to shine in Chicago just take a look at there QBs since he has been there. I'm not saying he is worth getting drafted as high as he did but I think he is still a solid WR if he had someone to throw him the ball. Hos, you always say speed is overrated yes it is but the point is WE NEED SPEED!!!!!!
But if you had a choice of those wrs, would Terrell even make your top three or four?

Buckeye

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31 said:
Doubtful, even on the off chance he becomes great, I have no fear of the next Keyshawn Johnson, making 5-10 yard catches. I fear guys like Randy Moss, Terrell Owens and Marvin Harrison, you know, guys who actually MAKE plays downfield.
Wow, I actually laughed out loud at that. Comparing Mike Williams to Keyshawn Johnson is like comparing Peyton Manning to my little brother. Williams is tall, fast, agile, athletic, and he's a balanced WR. Meaning that he's a tremendous deep threat when he has to be, but he's also a possession reciever that can get us a 1st down and more, unlike Keyshawn.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Buckeye said:
Wow, I actually laughed out loud at that. Comparing Mike Williams to Keyshawn Johnson is like comparing Peyton Manning to my little brother. Williams is tall, fast, agile, athletic, and he's a balanced WR. Meaning that he's a tremendous deep threat when he has to be, but he's also a possession reciever that can get us a 1st down and more, unlike Keyshawn.

Keyshawn: 6'4'', 225

Mike Williams: 6'4'', 230

40 yad dash coming out of college: Keyshawn- 4.68 Williams- 4.72

Both are big, physical possesion receivers who catch balls in traffic but dont get 40 yard passes and make big plays downfield. MW is actually slower than Key. Face it, MW is a clone of Keyshawn. MW had ONE catch of over 50 yards in college, and only 2 longer than 40, at the same time in just his last 2 years, Braylon Edwards had 14 of over 40 and 5 over 50. MW average TD catch is less than 14 yards, Edwards is over 26. Whos the big play threat?

dirt

Reaction score
well said--now throw NFL quality corner backs into the mix at the next level--"Toto, we aint in the Pac 10 any more!!!!!!" these guys can cover and are fast

ghst187

Reaction score
The thing that that makes me like Williams so much and over Braylon is the redzone work that Mike Williams does. He is a red zone terror (also a 3rd down terror). He has the most amazing hands, athleticism, and concentration in addition to his 6'5 230 size. Being able to score TDs in the redzone is something we have struggled with ever since Irvin left. Now with Julius and Witten emerging we have a chance to be a real redzone threat. Williams really becomes hard to cover down there. The other thing is that Key is 6'4, but where the heck is he when we get in the redzone? Key isn't a guy that you can line up and throw fade routes to from the 5 yard line. Why I don't know but he's not.
Granted Morgan sucks but he's fast, maybe he can drag his DB and the FS over with him to stretch the field. If he gets open, Henson can stick the ball in his facemask so he doesn't drop it. Maybe Copper or Crayton emerge as the longball threat, how fast are they anyone?
Bottomline, I just like Mike Williams and the added dimension he could bring to our team. I think he'd make our offense pretty deadly and harder to stop than Braylon would.

Reaction score
Buckeye said:

Please tell me you have had some drinks, if not I'll look at your avatar and that will excuse you.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
It seems like everyone is googoo over the "big play WR", the guy with top end speed that can haul in the long bomb. What we need is a guy that can help us in an area that we are pitiful in.....thats the redzone. We had little trouble moving the ball from 20 to 20...we just settle for FGs too often inside the redzone.

We need a WR that can help us in the redzone...imo, Mike Williams is that guy.

lkelly

Reaction score
D41lasCowboys31 said:
Finally somebody that knows what they are talking about. About David Terrell I would love to have him on this team I mean do you really expect him to shine in Chicago just take a look at there QBs since he has been there. I'm not saying he is worth getting drafted as high as he did but I think he is still a solid WR if he had someone to throw him the ball.

During the time David Terrell has been with the Bears, Marty Booker put up seasons with 100 and 97 catches.

David Terrell is not good. He wouldn't help Dallas one bit.