Beasley should have been retained

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol they literally were the only team in the league that believed in him. he quit, was out of football, and they called him back. gave him a career, and rewarded him with a couple contracts. he just outgrew his usefulness after being exposed as a primary target.
True. And the other thing most fans forget in this fantasy football driven world we live in is this- the talents of great role players like Cole Beasley are lost on bad teams like ours.

Role players have a much greater impact on teams that already have a great nucleus- like Buffalo. Beas would not have the same impact here.When you’re ahead on the scoreboard, your offense has so many more options than when your down 14 in the first qtr. On a bad team, role players values shrink.

MikeB80

Reaction score
this is a very weird stance. Sure, Josh is physically more gifted than Dak, that’s not really an argument. He’s bigger, faster and has a stronger arm. Those aren’t skills though, they’re traits. You started off by saying Josh was BETTER AT EVERYTHING than Dak, and that’s just .... laughable.

in fact, in a much larger sample size Dak beats him in literally every category aside from rushing

QBR, completion pct, ypa, ypg, td ratio, Int ratio, td to Int ratio, air yards, big plays I mean what? Lol. Are you a Buffalo fan ?

Except now that Allen is an improving player by the week and Dak is what he is and will not be any better. Also Allen has no running game and Dak has played with one of the best offensive lines and running games for 4 years.

Dak started in the sec for 3 years and has been starting for 5 years in the nfl, he should be much better statistically at this point than a kid who played at wyoming and is learning the nfl game in his third year. In three years get back to me on those stats and accomplishments. It will be fun to compare the two. Take for instance, Completion %...Allen's is currently 69, higher than Dak's highest of 2016 67.8 when he had the best running game and offensive line in the league.

I would say I am enjoying rooting for Buffalo to win this year than I am this horrendous organization which I have grown beyond tired of. The Dallas cowboys are a part time football team, part time marketing company and part time Real Estate development company. The cowboys have no direction and no one to fix the problems.

Proof

Reaction score
Except now that Allen is an improving player by the week and Dak is what he is and will not be any better. Also Allen has no running game and Dak has played with one of the best offensive lines and running games for 4 years.

Dak started in the sec for 3 years and has been starting for 5 years in the nfl, he should be much better statistically at this point than a kid who played at wyoming and is learning the nfl game in his third year. In three years get back to me on those stats and accomplishments. It will be fun to compare the two. Take for instance, Completion %...Allen's is currently 69, higher than Dak's highest of 2016 67.8 when he had the best running game and offensive line in the league.

I would say I am enjoying rooting for Buffalo to win this year than I am this horrendous organization which I have grown beyond tired of. The Dallas cowboys are a part time football team, part time marketing company and part time Real Estate development company. The cowboys have no direction and no one to fix the problems.

Not how it works my guy. You don’t get to project what someone’s going to do and say get back to me lol. If you think he will be better than Dak moving forward, hey something fun to discuss over the next few years. He’s having a pretty damn impressive season for sure and I’m a fan of the kid, but you just can’t say better than everything across the board (emphatically at that) when literally nothing supports that.

and saying Allen is improving and Dak hit his ceiling years ago is completely disingenuous when Dak has had one of the more dramatic leaps in the league over the past season and a half.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Beasley is very good on short routs the problem is DC know that the Cowboys can't protect due to OL issues so they defend those shorter routs very aggressively. Face it if a fan knows we need to get the ball out quickly because of the OL I can promise every DC out there knows it as well. Dallas issue is not WR and having Beasley would not make a difference, the problem is protection and until we can protect the QB and open up running lanes nothing will change. Cowboys have the weapons what we do not have is consistent protection

It's very difficult to stop a quick slant, out, etc. if the receiver can get open. The defense simply can't react quickly enough, either the pass rush can't get there in two seconds or less, and after the receiver makes his break, the defender has about a half second before his body can react to what his eyes see, that's just the way the body works. Beasley can make the break, if the ball is thrown as soon as he makes the break or even slightly before, and Beasley catches it, it's a reception. Quick slants, etc are what you do with a poor o-line, or blitzes. That's just basic football, and Beasley was/is good at that...

MikeB80

Reaction score
Not how it works my guy. You don’t get to project what someone’s going to do and say get back to me lol. If you think he will be better than Dak moving forward, hey something fun to discuss over the next few years. He’s having a pretty damn impressive season for sure and I’m a fan of the kid, but you just can’t say better than everything across the board (emphatically at that) when literally nothing supports that.

and saying Allen is improving and Dak hit his ceiling years ago is completely disingenuous when Dak has had one of the more dramatic leaps in the league over the past season and a half.

I just did say he is better at everything than Dak. Its obvious every week.

Clinging to stats from four years ago to point out how Dak is better right now is disingenuous, my guy.

Asklesko

Reaction score
lol they literally were the only team in the league that believed in him. he quit, was out of football, and they called him back. gave him a career, and rewarded him with a couple contracts. he just outgrew his usefulness after being exposed as a primary target.

A serviceable ace. I rather have Beasley and defense than Cooper and Lamb.

Sydla

Reaction score
If you knew then what we know now, it's a no-brainer, that's not even debatable. Based on college stats if nothing else.

I understand what you are saying, but that's not what I was commenting on.

Put it this way. It's summer 2019. Beasley's contract is up. You can resign him or not. There is no "we would have...." or "good we didn't because Lamb is better..." , etc. Because that's in the future.

Based only on what you know, in 2019, is re-signing him something that would benefit the Cowboys? Simple question, yes or no answer?

But that's my point. Trying to argue that we made a mistake in not bringing back Beasley, like some have alleged, wasn't a mistake because as we sit now, we are in a better position than we would have been if we had signed Beasley.

Summer of 2019 I don't resign Beasley. $7MM for a slot guy isn't a smart contract IMO, especially when you had Cooper (and also staring at an extension in the short term) and Gallup had shown something in his rookie year to slot him in as your #2 WR.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's very difficult to stop a quick slant, out, etc. if the receiver can get open. The defense simply can't react quickly enough, either the pass rush can't get there in two seconds or less, and after the receiver makes his break, the defender has about a half second before his body can react to what his eyes see, that's just the way the body works. Beasley can make the break, if the ball is thrown as soon as he makes the break or even slightly before, and Beasley catches it, it's a reception. Quick slants, etc are what you do with a poor o-line, or blitzes. That's just basic football, and Beasley was/is good at that...

You can't run an offense on short slants all game defense knows all you can do is throw short LB and safety move up and play the short rout very aggressive. Again DC know this, they know our situation in protections. You throw a 3 to 5 yard pass and get 3 to 5 yard if you can get the ball in there. There is nothing Beasley can do that Ceedee can't do. I like Beasley but he is not the solution nor keeping him would have change anything

Proof

Reaction score
A serviceable ace. I rather have Beasley and defense than Cooper and Lamb.

that’s just really misguided imo, and “and defense” isn’t really tangible or quantifiable. Like you can’t just plug in a difference maker in the equation. But no. Even still, that’s a bad trade off. Beasley as a dud as the main option, and youd need a tj watt to come close to offsetting the disparity. And we could’ve had him without sticking with Cole.

Asklesko

Reaction score
Yeah. No.
that’s just really misguided imo, and “and defense” isn’t really tangible or quantifiable. Like you can’t just plug in a difference maker in the equation. But no. Even still, that’s a bad trade off. Beasley as a dud as the main option, and youd need a tj watt to come close to offsetting the disparity. And we could’ve had him without sticking with Cole.

Why is it misguided? I'd much rather be the Bills right now than the cowboys

Proof

Reaction score
But that's my point. Trying to argue that we made a mistake in not bringing back Beasley, like some have alleged, wasn't a mistake because as we sit now, we are in a better position than we would have been if we had signed Beasley.

Summer of 2019 I don't resign Beasley. $7MM for a slot guy isn't a smart contract IMO, especially when you had Cooper (and also staring at an extension in the short term) and Gallup had shown something in his rookie year to slot him in as your #2 WR.

for real. And it’s really only even an issue being discussed because of hindsight because of his performance in Buffalo lol. Which coincidentally is pretty on par with what he did here and for 20 mil less. In short, no. No need to keep him.

jrumann59

Reaction score
In this offense Beasley is a 3rd or 4th option. He like Tavon were one trick ponies. Too small and slow to be downfield threat. His bread and butter is short area quickness he basically was a receiving TE that lines up in the slot. If I was a GM I pay him on what he has done and is expected to do. He is not worth what he makes because the saem people that said Dez was one dimensional so was Beasley. The main reason I wanted him gone was so the offense could be more flexible with personnel. I think the WR in this offense have to be able to play inside and outside and players like Tavon and Beasley have such a specific skill set they telegraph what everyone is doing.

Proof

Reaction score
I just did say he is better at everything than Dak. Its obvious every week.

Clinging to stats from four years ago to point out how Dak is better right now is disingenuous, my guy.

Lol. “Obvious every week” because Dak isn’t playing. Definitely a prisoner of the moment, but it happens to all of us.

how am I “clinging to stats from four years ago” when I’m talking about how good Daks been playing over the past season and a half?

I didn’t mention anything about four years ago, just included whole body of work to buoy Daks numbers so as to not make it even more lopsided.

This season is difficult to compete since Dak isn’t playing, but when he was their numbers were very comparable. How about last season? Close? At all? Remotely? But sure, champ, I’ll just take your word for it instead of every single available metric and my own eyes (which include an appreciation for Josh’s gene.)
:thumbup:

Proof

Reaction score

because Cole can’t hold amari or lambs jock, and “and defense” is empty. Cole and Chaisson? Hard pass. Cole and who specifically?

And sure, the bills look great right now. That’s not because of Cole. And you see they also traded a first for a #1 receiver, correct?

Sydla

Reaction score

Because you are making an assumption that the #1 pick you gave up for Cooper and the #1 pick spent on Lamb would have resulted in defensive players that would make our defense significantly better. That's just a guess. I mean look at the defenders available to us last year when we took Lamb. We apparently wanted Chaisson, who right now, is struggling a bit to find his footing in the NFL. Can you assume he'll be a difference making defensive player down the road?

Oh and let's note.......... the Bills traded their first round pick for Diggs this offseason because they knew they needed to get better at WR. So they basically did what we did. So it's not Beasley and a defense that has the Bills at 9-3. The addition of Diggs has been a HUGE factor in their play this year. He's sitting there with 90 catches and over 1,000 yards receiving. To ignore that would be a bit silly IMO.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Still time for you to think deeper............ Beasley was arguably the Bills 1a option in the passing game. Cobb was the Cowboys third or fourth, depending on how you viewed Witten.

So it should surprise no one that Beasley caught more balls, even with a worse QB, than Cobb would have in 2019.

You posted their stat lines originally and you're proposing I need to think deeper? Lmao. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

50 more yards and half the TDs with a QB that threw for nearly 2k more yards and 10 more touchdowns.

Being the 2nd option instead of the 3rd isn't that big of a difference compared to the difference in volume each offense had that season.

Proof

Reaction score
There are so many surface level thinkers on here. It's insane.

surface level would be comparing what Beasley and Cobb did last year on different teams with different circumstances. Should focus on THIS team. Coles last season. Here, 672 yds 3 tds. Cobb replacing him and upgrading him the following year, 828 yds and 3 tds in one less game. 5 yards per catch higher. Just an easy to call, less expensive upgrade.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
surface level would be comparing what Beasley and Cobb did last year on different teams with different circumstances. Should focus on THIS team. Coles last season. Here, 672 yds 3 tds. Cobb replacing him and upgrading him the following year, 828 yds and 3 tds in one less game. 5 yards per catch higher. Just an easy to call, less expensive upgrade.

Lol

Yes, because you should compare the output of a Linehan slot to a Moore slot. Jesus.

Cobb did almost lead the league in drops last season, I'll give him that.