Beasley to the Bills

conner01

Reaction score
Run or catch, Austin was hugely productive per touch. If he could stay on the field, or if we protect ourselves against injury, I'd want him back.
At the right price I like the possibilities but like with Irvin, Lee or Gregory
When a player has proven you can’t depend on him being in the lineup you have to have a really good plan B
In this case we have a draft with good slot receivers and many have return skills, Wilson also has returned punts though he doesn’t have super speed he may be better than Beasley

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Well.....bye. Does anyone who thinks we had to have/keep the rap star truly believe he is worth what the Bills signed him for? Does anyone for a minute think we should have ponied up that amount for this guy? WHO BTW quit on this team last season, and most likely the one before? Not me, I say good luck playing in the NFL grave yard of career's.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Well.....bye. Does anyone who thinks we had to have/keep the rap star truly believe he is worth what the Bills signed him for? Does anyone for a minute think we should have ponied up that amount for this guy? WHO BTW quit on this team last season, and most likely the one before? Not me, I say good luck playing in the NFL grave yard of career's.

Jason Witten quit the team.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When a player has proven you can’t depend on him being in the lineup you have to have a really good plan B
In this case we have a draft with good slot receivers and many have return skills, Wilson also has returned punts though he doesn’t have super speed he may be better than Beasley

There's a lot of "Beasley was lousy at punt returns" views, both here and on other sites. But let's be realistic about that.

Last year the Cowboys returned 24 punts. That's just over ONE per game. Just what do people expect from the punt return game? Touchdowns? Well let's see, who was arguably one of the best punt returners ever? Deion, for example. He returned 212 punts, got SIX touchdowns. That's 2.83%. Meaning if Deion returned all punts last year he'd have, statistically, he'd have had no tds.
Even if Beasley had a couple of tds, is that going to make the team a SB contender?

No.

The return game is important, mostly though by not fumbling the ball, not getting touchdowns and big returns. And Beasley didn't have a problem with that. But the returns are mostly due to good blocking, and how long the hang time is on the punt. The ball hangs up in the air for 5 seconds, given the speed of the players, the vast majority of the time the coverage is right on the returner and NO returner, even a Deion, is going to do anything except fair catch the ball.

It's a minor point of the game, as long as the guy doesn't fumble, the punt return game is good enough. Having a better punt returner isn't making this team a top contender...

conner01

Reaction score
There's a lot of "Beasley was lousy at punt returns" views, both here and on other sites. But let's be realistic about that.

Last year the Cowboys returned 24 punts. That's just over ONE per game. Just what do people expect from the punt return game? Touchdowns? Well let's see, who was arguably one of the best punt returners ever? Deion, for example. He returned 212 punts, got SIX touchdowns. That's 2.83%. Meaning if Deion returned all punts last year he'd have, statistically, he'd have had no tds.
Even if Beasley had a couple of tds, is that going to make the team a SB contender?

No.

The return game is important, mostly though by not fumbling the ball, not getting touchdowns and big returns. And Beasley didn't have a problem with that. But the returns are mostly due to good blocking, and how long the hang time is on the punt. The ball hangs up in the air for 5 seconds, given the speed of the players, the vast majority of the time the coverage is right on the returner and NO returner, even a Deion, is going to do anything except fair catch the ball.

It's a minor point of the game, as long as the guy doesn't fumble, the punt return game is good enough. Having a better punt returner isn't making this team a top contender...
Beasley was the returner because he was good at one thing. And that one thing is the most important. He didn’t turn it over. But as a returner he was really not a threat because he is just too easy to take down. The best returners can break an arm tackle or make a guy miss
It’s not his fault, that’s just who he is. He is an awesome receiver in small spaces because he is quick and smart
We are gonna miss him but moving on was the right thing

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Glad he’s out due to attitude! Don’t see him doing much there BUT I do think he will be missed with the way this O is run. I think he got Ds attention to open he outside at times!

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
Yeah, he talked too much & maybe did some goofy off field nonsense but I liked Beasley as a player. Not overly thrilled that he's gone but that's how things go. Good luck to him, cos he'll need it where he's headed.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Before us, Austin averaged 15 games a season. He'd get dinged but not for long. And he had a lot more touches to get dinged and didn't. I want him as an offensive weapon more than a returner anyway. The mix of running and stretching the field is perfect to complement Zeke for our base offense.

As for return guys, we've gotten pretty fussy about it. We used to just take a bunch of fast with decent hands and let the best man take it. Sometimes guys who weren't that fast. And they did ok.

Cedrick is ok. Maybe he can be the next Crayton.

I'm always pulling for Darius The Great. Speed, power, and thickness. I don't tiny guys. They tend to fumble. That Commander RB was a great return guy for years. Myles was good for us. Herschel was good. I'd like to bring the chunky guys back.

conner01

Reaction score
Before us, Austin averaged 15 games a season. He'd get dinged but not for long. And he had a lot more touches to get dinged and didn't. I want him as an offensive weapon more than a returner anyway. The mix of running and stretching the field is perfect to complement Zeke for our base offense.

As for return guys, we've gotten pretty fussy about it. We used to just take a bunch of fast with decent hands and let the best man take it. Sometimes guys who weren't that fast. And they did ok.

Cedrick is ok. Maybe he can be the next Crayton.

I'm always pulling for Darius The Great. Speed, power, and thickness. I don't tiny guys. They tend to fumble. That Commander RB was a great return guy for years. Myles was good for us. Herschel was good. I'd like to bring the chunky guys back.
Thicker guys tend to be able to break a tackle and on a punt that’s huge
Wilson has returned punts so he is an option
As a receiver he is a good route runner so he can help. Though he’s not gonna get a ton of targets because he would only be in the field in 4 wide or if cooper was in the slot
Cooper in the slot if Wilson can be good could change what we’ve done with the slot under Beasley
Austin is a dangerous guy because of his speed but he has fumbled some though I believe mostly on KO
Walker was amazing because he was big and fast

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I think he just wanted his money, he had his share of the circus.

Plus, he voiced his frustration with the FO and his playing time, he needed a fresh start somewhere else.

I guarantee anyone in a circus would rather be in the circus then play for the Bills. It was all about the money..period.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Beasley tweeted that he never won anything with the Cowboys so he'll be okay in Buffalo. :laugh:

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I know he only wanted the money because he knows his career is nearing. He only cried "ball" here just to get away.

Allen does more running than Dak while throwing to the WR twice as less. Even beas knows he is on some BS and wont get the ball.

In fact I'm willing to bet beas doesnt get half the stats next season he got in his last year here.
Hey Soup, it will be interesting to keep an eye on.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yeah, he talked too much & maybe did some goofy off field nonsense but I liked Beasley as a player. Not overly thrilled that he's gone but that's how things go. Good luck to him, cos he'll need it where he's headed.

Yep, no hard feelings Beas. We'll miss ya on 3rd and 5...

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
now we know why they brought witten back to take the place of beasley's check down bombs.

Oh well this give dak a new excuse.
Apples and oranges there with the Witten comparison.

Beasley's value -- and the thing that the team now has to find a way to replace -- was on intermediate targets (10-19 yards), where Beasley was almost automatic in 2018.

Catch Rate
Target 10-19 yards
Beasley 16 of 19 (84%)
Cooper 13 of 20 (65%)
others 38 of 76 (50%)

Targets resulting in first down, 2016-18
Beasley 44%
Witten 34%

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Apples and oranges there with the Witten comparison.

Beasley's value -- and the thing that the team now has to find a way to replace -- was on intermediate targets (10-19 yards), where Beasley was almost automatic in 2018.

Catch Rate
Target 10-19 yards
Beasley 16 of 19 (84%)
Cooper 13 of 20 (65%)
others 38 of 76 (50%)

Targets resulting in first down, 2016-18
Beasley 44%
Witten 34%
we'll wait on the excuses. "we don't have a slot receiver"..*wipes tears from eyes*