Beatles vs Stones

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The old Mods v Rockers debate. I was a Rocker as most of my buds were because Paul was pretty and Jagger and Richard were death eating a cracker ugly. That's why we preferred The Animals to Dave Clark Five and the Kinks to Gerry and the Pacemakers. It was raw and ugly v pretty and styled.

The Beatles will always win the showdown with the gen pop because of the familiarity and the incredible song writing and production of Lennon/McCartney, the most covered song writing duo in history.

I lived through that time as a teenage boy and it was a marvelous time in music and the thing I appreciated the most about the Beatles was that their success opened the door for the invasion and it's never stopped coming. They were also the first ones to offer rebellion for us after Elvis' pelvis got old with that generation. So afraid of them was the establishment that I just combed my hair differently to look more like them and got sent home from school.

The other thing that gives the Beatles the edge, as far as contribution, was their willingness to take us where most of us had never been and for one of them to lead a charge that would end a war. John Lennon is the most influential musical artist since I've been alive and before he came out on social issues, no one had done that, they kept that to themselves. Even guys like Louis Armstrong and Sammy Davis Jr. kept what was burning inside them until Lennon showed them that's alright, you can take the heat.

I will never really be able to choose one over the other as both contributed so much to my life. I can still recall vividly the first time I listened to Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour and had no idea how that would change the way musicians looked at their music or the first time I heard "Satisfaction", "Get Off My Cloud", "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man", anthems in my life, not just songs. "Satisfaction" will live with me for the rest of my days because that was one of the most magical nights of my life.

Ya know, being my age now, it is not unusual to envy the younger with most of their lives ahead of them and most of mine behind me. But, when I get into those songs and flashback to being there when they first came out and just letting that soak in and the greatest time of radio came into being because if you missed a day, you missed another event taking place, I wouldn't trade that for another 30 years.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
The old Mods v Rockers debate. I was a Rocker as most of my buds were because Paul was pretty and Jagger and Richard were death eating a cracker ugly. That's why we preferred The Animals to Dave Clark Five and the Kinks to Gerry and the Pacemakers. It was raw and ugly v pretty and styled.

The Beatles will always win the showdown with the gen pop because of the familiarity and the incredible song writing and production of Lennon/McCartney, the most covered song writing duo in history.

I lived through that time as a teenage boy and it was a marvelous time in music and the thing I appreciated the most about the Beatles was that their success opened the door for the invasion and it's never stopped coming. They were also the first ones to offer rebellion for us after Elvis' pelvis got old with that generation. So afraid of them was the establishment that I just combed my hair differently to look more like them and got sent home from school.

The other thing that gives the Beatles the edge, as far as contribution, was their willingness to take us where most of us had never been and for one of them to lead a charge that would end a war. John Lennon is the most influential musical artist since I've been alive and before he came out on social issues, no one had done that, they kept that to themselves. Even guys like Louis Armstrong and Sammy Davis Jr. kept what was burning inside them until Lennon showed them that's alright, you can take the heat.

I will never really be able to choose one over the other as both contributed so much to my life. I can still recall vividly the first time I listened to Sgt. Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour and had no idea how that would change the way musicians looked at their music or the first time I heard "Satisfaction", "Get Off My Cloud", "Gimme Shelter" and "Street Fighting Man", anthems in my life, not just songs. "Satisfaction" will live with me for the rest of my days because that was one of the most magical nights of my life.

Ya know, being my age now, it is not unusual to envy the younger with most of their lives ahead of them and most of mine behind me. But, when I get into those songs and flashback to being there when they first came out and just letting that soak in and the greatest time of radio came into being because if you missed a day, you missed another event taking place, I wouldn't trade that for another 30 years.
That was a very good read. Thank you. That's the kind of stuff i was looking for when i made this thread.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was a very good read. Thank you. That's the kind of stuff i was looking for when i made this thread.
Sure, the real beauty is that we had both and all that followed their influences. Think about them and all that came with them alongside Soul, Motown and American Rock. It was the magical time of music.

However, I am not one of those codgers that thinks music died in 1970 when the Beatles broke up. I do have friends stuck in that era but I don't consider them as attached to music as I have been or still am. I like a lot of the present day music including Chill, House and Trance and they all hate it. Which makes me like it just a little bit better and louder.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

Tops was written in their prime years but wasn't released until 81 or so the story goes. Had Little T&A in there but those lyrics might not be appropriate:laugh: so i went with hang fire instead.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
A new one from the Stones i actually think is ok, and perfect for the lockdown/shutdown days.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
This is a tough one. I probably like more Rolling Stones' songs individually, but I think the Beatles contributed more to Rock n Roll evolving. Both are HOF bands IMO. Paul and John also did some great stuff individually. This is one of my favorites from Paul, or in this case with Wings.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
My top 5 are Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin, Pearl Jam and U2...

the Beatles are the greatest band of all-time...

too many reasons why

Boy, oh boy...did the 60’s and 70’s produce some of the greatest bands and musicians EVER....
That's the beauty of music. I don't agree with your choices but who am I to tell anyone they are wrong about something so subjective. I would never do that.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This.

It can't be posted often enough in a thread like this.

The Stones are great.

But no one tops the Beatles when it comes to a rock band.

Paul was part of the greatest recording group in both the 60's and 70's.

Can't say that about the Stones.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score

the Beatles are the greatest band of all-time...

too many reasons why

Boy, oh boy...did the 60’s and 70’s produce some of the greatest bands and musicians EVER....
Post of a few of your favorite Beatles songs/youtube links if you want. I'm curious about what makes Beatles fans into Beatles fans. It's all about the learning for me, and i'm still learning indeed. :)

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

the Beatles are the greatest band of all-time

too many reasons why

I take The Doors myself for being more poetic and blues/jazz driven over the Beatles. Jim as a frontman over the Beatles stage presence because of his improvisation. I do like the Beatles. Big fan of Paul McCartney and the late George Harrison.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
This.

It can't be posted often enough in a thread like this.

The Stones are great.

But no one tops the Beatles when it comes to a rock band.

Paul was part of the greatest recording group in both the 60's and 70's.

Can't say that about the Stones.
I'm curious what you feel when you listen to the Beatles, or is it more about memories/history? I was never able to understand why people love the Beatles and i'm trying to fiqure that all out :laugh:

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I'm curious what you feel when you listen to the Beatles, or is it more about memories/history? I was never able to understand why people love the Beatles and i'm trying to fiqure that all out :laugh:

Listen to what was played on radio pre 1963 before the Beatles came on the scene.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
For me i feel like there is no adrenaline or get up and get moving sound in The Beatles music. Maybe i am not a just chill out and relax kind of person and maybe that's why i perfer The Stones.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
I take The Doors myself for being more poetic and blues/jazz driven over the Beatles. Jim as a frontman over the Beatles stage presence because of his improvisation. I do like the Beatles. Big fan of Paul McCartney and the late George Harrison.
The Doors were one of those bands I always wanted to like more than I did. I have to admit, Zeppelin was kind of the same way for me. I knew they were cool and I like a lot of their songs but I could never get totally into them. Like I said in a previous post, no one is really wrong when it comes to music unless you like Bieber or something. Then you are dead to me.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
For instance when i listen to some Elvis songs i can feel that get up and move in the music, but with The Beatles i rarley seem to feel that.