Been a fan since 1974

lukin2006

Reaction score
Long time fan … late 70s. These last couple decades have not been great, but there is no better team to be a fanbase of. No matter where I have ventured off to in this world I always have my Cowboy hat and always run into fellow Cowboy fans…and we always end up in a good conversation on the current team. And as always I’m optimistic for the upcoming season…Go Cowboys.

mrmojo

Reaction score
Fan since Jan 71 when saw that Colts kick go through the uprights an Bob Lilly throw his helmet, my dad was so pissed....fortunate to barely remember the SB win the next year..

Love the blue unis and the star, but didn't know I was a real fan until 1972 when the Football team kicked our butt in the NFC championship game and I cried like a baby....was only 6 but been loyal ever since...

Motorola

Reaction score
Fan since Jan 71 when saw that Colts kick go through the uprights an Bob Lilly throw his helmet, my dad was so pissed....fortunate to barely remember the SB win the next year..

Love the blue unis and the star, but didn't know I was a real fan until 1972 when the Football team kicked our butt in the NFC championship game and I cried like a baby....was only 6 but been loyal ever since...
That was by far the worst performance by a Cowboys team in a championship game.
I felt so miserable watching it...and so dejected afterwards.

links18

Reaction score
I can't remember the exact year, because I was too young, but it was in the Roger and Drew Pearson days, I remember that. Grew up around nothing but Redstinks fans, so I was conditioned for torment from an early age.

plymkr

Reaction score
Haven't missed a game since. I'm the youngest in my family and no one else follows the sport. Roger, Drew, Too Tall and Randy sold me on this game....then I found out Tom Landry was born and raised 30 miles from me....I was hooked!
Football became my life and eventually, my livelihood....I can't wait for the season to start! Haters and homers, Salud! Let's get this party started!
Tom Landry was born 30 miles from you. That's cool. Tom Landry, Staubach, Dorsett, Hill and Pearson got me. Watching those guys play was awesome. Been a fan ever since.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Haven't missed a game since. I'm the youngest in my family and no one else follows the sport. Roger, Drew, Too Tall and Randy sold me on this game....then I found out Tom Landry was born and raised 30 miles from me....I was hooked!
Football became my life and eventually, my livelihood....I can't wait for the season to start! Haters and homers, Salud! Let's get this party started!
That’s a great streak not missing a game since 1974. As far back as I can recall not missing a game is 1965. For some reason that’s the first season that sticks out in my memory watching Dandy to Bullet . But I’m sure I was watching games before that . Just probably not all of them.

57 years without missing a game. Something I don’t even discuss anymore with my family and friends as it could paint a different picture than I’d intend . But a few of my very close friends and family are aware how crazed I was for most of my life. And of course anyone who visits my house and sees the Man Cave my wife so beautifully decorated with mostly Cowboys, some Baylor and sports memorabilia I’d saved throughout the years.

I still follow and watch every game but more at a distance now since I stopped attending games. We were season tickets holders for most of 4 decades. And we traveled to some road games . I’ve attended playoff, championship games and Super Bowl. In 2008 I surrendered my seats at Texas Stadium which was the last year at that venue in rebellion against the PSL and ridiculous prices at new stadium. Much like most of the ole diehards from that era.

Last edited:

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s a great streak not missing a game since 1974. As far back as I can recall not missing a game is 1965. For some reason that’s the first season that sticks out in my memory watching Dandy to Bullet . But I’m sure I was watching games before that . Just probably not all of them.

57 years without missing a game. Something I don’t even discuss anymore with my family and friends as it could paint a different picture than I’d intend . But a few of my very close friends and family are aware how crazed I was for most of my life. And of course anyone who visits my house and sees the Man Cave my wife so beautifully decorated with mostly Cowboys, some Baylor and sports memorabilia I’d saved throughout the years.

I still follow and watch every game but more at a distance now since I stopped attending games. We were season tickets holders for most of 4 decades. And we traveled to some road games . I’ve attended playoff, championship games and Super Bowl. In 2008 I surrendered my seats at Texas Stadium which was the last year at that venue in rebellion against the PSL and ridiculous prices at new stadium. Much like most of the ole diehards from that era.

My uncle played with Lilly at TCU and became a family friend and later business associate. Uncle was offered a FA contract in 1961 from Lombardi in Green Bay but turned down offers for it wasn’t enough to uproot his family and leave his Insurance job which paid more. Lombardi’s offer was 10 grand a year and 1,000 signing bonus . My Uncle said if Dallas had called he would have played since it was close to home in Ft Worth. Lilly provided my father and I his SB XIII 35 yard line seats at the Orange Bowl in Miami.
Wow! That's pretty damn cool.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Wow! That's pretty damn cool.
I still have a ticket stub from Cotton Bowl for regular general admission in the stands for $5. It was the 1st Thanksgiving game I attended in 1969 vs 49ers. And it was the Cowboys last tie in franchise history . Mike Clark missed a FG as time expired on a cold rainy late afternoon 24-24.

Earlier games I attended I sat in the endzone . It was only 1$. That’s right one dollar. Moving to Texas Stadium in 1971 was awesome . It was only a 15 minute drive from the house. That first year Cowboys hosted the Pro Bowl which was Jan 1972. I still have that stub as well. Only Pro Bowl we have ever hosted.

In 1973 the NFL begun lifting Black Outs for home game games if they were sold out 72 hours in advance. Before 1973 all home NFL games were blacked out in a 75 mile radius . And why we had season tickets . I recall occasionally when it was bad weather and or didn’t want to attend , sometimes my Dad gave tickets to clients , we’d drive to Waco and stay with family to watch the game.

Last edited:

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score

Meh, not impressed - try growing up a Cowboy fan in the middle of Brooklyn. :cool::p:D

BTW - Fan since the Ice Bowl.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Lol. I hear ya.

I probably would have been a Jets fan. Loved me some Namath. One of my early idols. Must have been before your time.
Funny but my older brother got me a Jets uniform with the number 12 after the Jets won the SB in '69 - lucky for me I was already a Boys fan.
Imagine the pain if I would have growing up a Jets fan...got enough pain with the Knicks, Mets and Rangers.

But 1969 was a great year for NY sports - Jets, Mets and Knicks all won their respective championships.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Grew up in Washington, D.C.-Maryland suburbs.
Formerly a Washington R*@#&!^$ fan.
If memory serves me correctly, met Mike Bass at a backyard party.
Hated the Cowboys and Roger Staubach.
Used to think, "Can't wait to get to the NFL and knock Staubach out of the game."
But loved me some Tony Dorsett. He was my favorite college player at the time.
Then the Dallas Cowboys finagled the Seattle Seahawks into trading the right to select Tony Dorsett.
And like a spiritual conversion (which I would experience about two years later) I was a Dallas Cowboys fan.
Just ... like ... that.
It was that drastic and dramatic a transformation.
My friends were stunned. I once was loved, now I became hated.
I was considered a traitor, a turncoat. They told me I loss my mind.
But, for me, whereas once I was blind, now I see.
And I've never looked back since.
I may be a bit more cynical and pessimistic, but I'm still a believer. :)

Canada180

bannedontherun88
Reaction score

Huge respect man. Ive also been a fan since early 70's.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Funny but my older brother got me a Jets uniform with the number 12 after the Jets won the SB in '69 - lucky for me I was already a Boys fan.
Imagine the pain if I would have growing up a Jets fan...got enough pain with the Knicks, Mets and Rangers.

But 1969 was a great year for NY sports - Jets, Mets and Knicks all won their respective championships.
Hard for me to understand how a Brooklyn guy ended up being a fan of all of the local or area teams but the NFL. Especially when the Jets were great then.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I have been a Dallas Cowboys fan since 1966. I know the Dallas Cowboys when I see the Dallas Cowboys and they have not seen the Dallas Cowboys since 1995.

I followed the Arlington Jonesboys in honor of all the real Dallas Cowboys that made the Dallas Cowboys America's Team. It was not Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and Stephen VP of playing with Personnel Jones that made the Cowboys America's Team. However Jerry knows how to profit from the past. He is a master at selling mediocrity as Dallas Cowboys Football.