CFZ Being a “choir boy” isn’t required in the NFL. But you can’t be stupid

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone following the NFL for a long time knows you don’t have to be a sweet little choir boy with perfect manners to be successful in the NFL. But one thing is required: YOU CANNOT BE STUPID.

The second big questionable decision and legal snafu in less than a year made by talented DE Sam Williams raises some questions about not only his character but his commitment to the team, his teammates and his family. Last year he was cited with a misdemeanor for driving his Corvette at a high rate of speed sideswiping another car and eventually wrecking his car. And while he was at Ole Miss in his college days he was suspended from the team for allegedly assaulting a woman, but was reinstated when charges were dropped.

Now, Williams’ Sunday arrest for possession of a controlled substance and unlawful carrying of a weapon is another chapter in this young man’s struggle to keep his off field behavior between the lines. And there’s little room for excuses when the Cowboys organization provides tons of off field support including counseling, ride services if impaired, even legal advice.

There are plenty of examples of great NFL players- some even Cowboys- who had some questionable off field behavior, that were somehow able to stay focused during the season or just be smart enough to pick their spots to avoid missing suspensions during the season.

Sam Williams has big time football talent. He had a really good rookie year with 4.5 sacks last year as a part time player. He was expected to have an even bigger role this year. And maybe he still can, although I would be surprised if he isn’t suspended a couple of games.

I believe in being patient with young players. You can usually fix some on-field mistakes that many young players make. But off the field? You can’t fix stupid. Williams better get serious about growing up if he wants his NFL career to be what it could be. I hope he does.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not certain what additional support can be afforded to Sam Williams or other players. Perhaps Jerry Jones should provide him the level of one-on-one assistance he made available for Adam Jones years ago.

Williams is a special talent. I hope he does not waste his opportunity.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not certain what additional support can be afforded to Sam Williams or other players. Perhaps Jerry Jones should provide him the level of one-on-one assistance he made available for Adam Jones years ago.

Williams is a special talent. I hope he does not waste his opportunity.
I have had my disappointments with the Cowboys front office for on-field results. But one thing this FO is the best in business about is player support. There is zero excuse for this kind of behavior from a player.
Hard for me to be in a uproar over THC and a gun when I know why the 90s Cowboys did.
I know what you’re saying brother but those were different times. Things could be swept under the rug much easier than today.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What’s he realistically looking at when Roger tells him to show up in NY with his lawyer?

Any precedent that anyone can recall?

Does he not start the year active?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What’s he realistically looking at when Roger tells him to show up in NY with his lawyer?

That’s a good question. Not sure where he sits with the league before this incident. I don’t think the pot possession will be as big a deal to the league as the gun issue.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There were reasons why this guy was off teams draft boards, sometimes you just can't fix stupid!
Since he’s our now, I have to hope we can fix him. I do wish this organization would stop throwing away 2nd round picks on high risk players. Either character or injury risks. Look at the risks we’ve taken over the years:
  • Sam Williams 2022
  • Kelvin Joseph 2021 (very questionable off field)
  • Jaylon Smith 2016 (major injury risk)
  • Randy Gregory 2015 (off field mental health issues)
  • Gavin Escobar 2013 (was a major reach for round 2)
  • Sean Lee 2010 (injury risk that kinda, sorta worked out but still missed a ton of games)

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
fposter,medium,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

He's a clown, but he was right about this. If you are a professional athlete then stay off the weed even if it is legal in your state. Save it for retirement then smoke up all you want.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s a good question. Not sure where he sits with the league before this incident. I don’t think the pot possession will be as big a deal to the league as the gun issue.
I didn’t read where it said what substance it was? Just a low level felony which made me think it was more than pot.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn’t read where it said what substance it was? Just a low level felony which made me think it was more than pot.
To my knowledge Marijuana isn’t a low level Felony. It’s a misdemeanor unless it’s a major quantity.

Some counties in Texas possession of a couple ounces or less isnt even an arrestable offense.

I’d assume “ controlled substance “ is something more serious .

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Anyone following the NFL for a long time knows you don’t have to be a sweet little choir boy with perfect manners to be successful in the NFL. But one thing is required: YOU CANNOT BE STUPID.

The second big questionable decision and legal snafu in less than a year made by talented DE Sam Williams raises some questions about not only his character but his commitment to the team, his teammates and his family. Last year he was cited with a misdemeanor for driving his Corvette at a high rate of speed sideswiping another car and eventually wrecking his car. And while he was at Ole Miss in his college days he was suspended from the team for allegedly assaulting a woman, but was reinstated when charges were dropped.

Now, Williams’ Sunday arrest for possession of a controlled substance and unlawful carrying of a weapon is another chapter in this young man’s struggle to keep his off field behavior between the lines. And there’s little room for excuses when the Cowboys organization provides tons of off field support including counseling, ride services if impaired, even legal advice.

There are plenty of examples of great NFL players- some even Cowboys- who had some questionable off field behavior, that were somehow able to stay focused during the season or just be smart enough to pick their spots to avoid missing suspensions during the season.

Sam Williams has big time football talent. He had a really good rookie year with 4.5 sacks last year as a part time player. He was expected to have an even bigger role this year. And maybe he still can, although I would be surprised if he isn’t suspended a couple of games.

I believe in being patient with young players. You can usually fix some on-field mistakes that many young players make. But off the field? You can’t fix stupid. Williams better get serious about growing up if he wants his NFL career to be what it could be. I hope he does.
Exactly, I was going to write something to that effect. I'm not going to get political about where I stand on the actual charges. Suffice it to say, he has to be aware of the repercussions, not only to himself, but the entire team.

The Cowboys will lose his services for 2 to 4 weeks, against teams like the Giants, Jets, and even Patriots. In a very close loss, I have to consider what his presence might have meant.

The trickle down effect could be devastating. Suppose the Cowboys don't get a playoff bye because of one loss too many. What if another DE goes down for a few weeks? Luckily, this squad has depth.

Sam Williams actions could jeopardize the success of this team this season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think 3 or 4 ounces is the threshhold, but I'm not a lawyer so I'm just speculating.
And I’m fairly certain the NFL no longer tests for marijuana as they used to. They were the last of the major sports to use weed in their drug testing

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

A potentially good precedent could be the Frank Clark case in 2022. He got two counts of misdemeanor possession of an assault weapon in LA County and pled no contest. He only got suspended 2 games. Add on the drug charge, and Williams could be looking at more like 4-6 games. He should be able to play this season.

The fact these dudes run around strapped without the proper licensing is mind blowing to me given what they stand to lose.

Rumors are coming out that there may have been another controlled substance involved, so the outcome depends on what it was. Coke possession for a first time offender is 4 games.

He should play this season, but I do worry about his long term future here if this stuff keeps happening.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

We had doubts about Dez, early in his career, to the point of giving him a babysitter. Maybe Sam needs to go that route until he can prove he's grown up.