Being Cheap may Backfire into a trade?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
The running back by committee and not addressing the WR/DL depth could hurt us if we let this linger into the season. Could anyone see a situation where we get desperate and use draft picks to make a trade before the deadline as we did for Amari Cooper years ago??? Please give your thoughts

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The running back by committee and not addressing the WR/DL depth could hurt us if we let this linger into the season. Could anyone see a situation where we get desperate and use draft picks to make a trade before the deadline as we did for Amari Cooper years ago??? Please give your thoughts
Nope. The only thing I could possibly see is if this team is 5-1 and struggling in the run game? Yeah I see them trading for someone.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Nope. The only thing I could possibly see is if this team is 5-1 and struggling in the run game? Yeah I see them trading for someone.
See but usually when we're 5-1 as you stated, those wins mask all the bad spots on the team. When we face a series of teams and they run through us, and we end up in a streak of being 1-5 THEN we'll do something!!!. I hear ya though!!

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don't see that as desperate at all. I would be very surprised if we don't make a trade between now and week 1 and probably again during the year. RB, WR, DT, something else? Not sure where but I expect we will make at least one trade. This team likes cap bargains and trading is one way to get them.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't think they'll make that level of a trade. Maybe a 5 for a vet RB or DT. Only because I think this is a lame duck throw away season and they won't want to take premium picks away from next years coach

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We trade Dak, get cap relief, and we might sign guys to give whoever our QB is a better evaluation.

Right now our RB rotation is just sad and will make the QB carry the offense. (Ready for a trade yet, Dak?)

A 50+ mil QB might be expected to carry an offense.

Trey Lance ain't that guy and ain't paid like it. Guys you're just trying out should be given a legitimate shot, and Jerry may not be willing to put a wholly inept offense on the field for a year. That's the way to lose eyeballs, and Jerry is all about the eyeballs. Bring in the best RB available after final cuts, focus on the run game *including* Lance, and the year would be entertaining.

I'm very big on the extra value a team can get out of a running QB that you can afford to run. Do that with Lance this year, then draft another next year. And keep em coming on the cheap until you hit on a guy. That's the Davis GM strategy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I don't think they'll make that level of a trade. Maybe a 5 for a vet RB or DT. Only because I think this is a lame duck throw away season and they won't want to take premium picks away from next years coach
Trade Dak, get cap relief, and maybe Jerry goes shopping to improve the product he's putting on the field.

But we're not going into hock to make Dak's contract year easier for him.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Trade Dak, get cap relief, and maybe Jerry goes shopping to improve the product he's putting on the field.

But we're not going into hock to make Dak's contract year easier for him.
The contest is with other football teams. It’s not with Dak. Teams build rosters to increase their chances of defeating the teams they play. Are you suggesting the Cowboys less than aggressive approach to improving the roster this off season is so they can defeat Dak Prescott in contract negotiations?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The contest is with other football teams. It’s not with Dak. Teams build rosters to increase their chances of defeating the teams they play. Are you suggesting the Cowboys less than aggressive approach to improving the roster this off season is so they can defeat Dak Prescott in contract negotiations?
Doing nothing in the offseason to improve only makes sense if they don't want to move forward with Dak. If they thought he was the guy, they wouldn't waste this season with him under contract.

They waved goodbye to two starters on the oline, drafted two projects, guaranteeing problems this year, and didn't get an improvement at RB, which was very low hanging fruit to begin with.

They're making Dak's contract year in Dalls into a bad year for Dak. A possible outcome of that should be Dak agreeing to pursue a trade. It's a win-win at this point.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I believe you stold this from me good sir! :)

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
See but usually when we're 5-1 as you stated, those wins mask all the bad spots on the team. When we face a series of teams and they run through us, and we end up in a streak of being 1-5 THEN we'll do something!!!. I hear ya though!!
I don’t disagree but I don’t think Jerry thinks this way.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doubt it. Remember the cowboys had everything in place except a #1 WR. Jerry was still running the show. It would have to be the perfect situation for Stephen to pull the trigger. Dude wouldn't resign last year's starting DT who cost pennies, missed out on signing moss over pennies, refused to sign Wagner over pennies. Him being too reliant on the draft tells me he is unlikely to trade any pick for a RB. This isn't a win now year.

kskboys

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it could, and you're not even mentioning the worst area on the team, DT. We have zero starters there.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves! There is no scenario where Dallas could of brought in another RB or WR and have the season be a success while Dak is the QB.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Doing nothing in the offseason to improve only makes sense if they don't want to move forward with Dak. If they thought he was the guy, they wouldn't waste this season with him under contract.

They waved goodbye to two starters on the oline, drafted two projects, guaranteeing problems this year, and didn't get an improvement at RB, which was very low hanging fruit to begin with.

They're making Dak's contract year in Dalls into a bad year for Dak. A possible outcome of that should be Dak agreeing to pursue a trade. It's a win-win at this point.
More likely it only means when he leaves the Cowboys next March he’ll wave goodbye with his middle finger. When does Jerry concern himself with the players he wants to keep? Are there any?

Creeper

Reaction score
As low as my opinion is of Jerry and Stephen, I cannot believe that they think this year will be anything but a down season. Having lost so many players, and not replacing anyone of them, except maybe LVE, it is hard to imagine the Joneses being so delusional to think this team will be as good as or better than last years.

The expectation has to be they will struggled against better teams and even struggle to win the division. No matter what they say, the fact that they are depending on players like Mazi Smith to make a major leap in performance reveals what they are really thinking. They will need major luck to have a winning season. That's why if the season starts to go south early, they won't make any moves. There is no point to it. Why give away draft picks for a team that is a long shot to begin with. Remember, a team that relies on the draft puts a higher value on picks than a team willing to part with cash for free agent players. The Cowboys had 8 picks this year and still couldn't fill all their holes in the roster. They need draft picks to reload. If they were missing one player to make a run it might be different. But they are full of holes. Trading away draft picks for a RB would be one of the more foolish things they could do.