Being Cheap may Backfire into a trade?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Unfortunately, it could, and you're not even mentioning the worst area on the team, DT. We have zero starters there.
But we desperately needed that 2nd round TE!

RB may be worse than DT, but at least we didn't spend a 1st to be this bad.

The best Steel Man I can make of their failure to do anything at DT is that they *know* they completely suck at drafting DTs even when they try, so are just kicking the can down the road to next year when they bring in a new coach who *surely* has got to be better at picking DTs than they are.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade Parsons and build around Trance?

Hahaha.......dumbest thing I have heard in a long time.
Well, you should talk to yourself more often.
If Lance doesn't work you'll be in prime position to draft a QB.
Unless Dak is your man!

Creeper

Reaction score
If the Cowboys make the playoffs the Jones will see it as a success. We did nothing to improve the team and we have a much more difficult schedule.
If we make the playoffs it will reinforce their thinking and we will continue to see the inactivity in the off-seasons the way we saw it this year.

kskboys

Reaction score
But we desperately needed that 2nd round TE!

RB may be worse than DT, but at least we didn't spend a 1st to be this bad.

The best Steel Man I can make of their failure to do anything at DT is that they *know* they completely suck at drafting DTs even when they try, so are just kicking the can down the road to next year when they bring in a new coach who *surely* has got to be better at picking DTs than they are.

In the 7th round!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Agree here but it would likely be a low draft pick.

Example.......we start of 5-1 and lose Rico or Zeke to a season-ending injury. The Ravens get off to a slow start 1-5 and Derrick Henry isn't what they expected.......I can see offering them a conditional 6th or 7th-round draft pick.

But I agree 100% a Cooper-type trade isn't happening
Yeah I agree. And that Ravens schedule…..rough.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Agree here but it would likely be a low draft pick.

Example.......we start of 5-1 and lose Rico or Zeke to a season-ending injury. The Ravens get off to a slow start 1-5 and Derrick Henry isn't what they expected.......I can see offering them a conditional 6th or 7th-round draft pick.

But I agree 100% a Cooper-type trade isn't happening
It’s more likely Dallas starts 1-5 than the Ravens. I agree. We aren’t giving up high picks or big salary for a RB. I think our analytics team is heavily involved in this decision to stay cheap at RB.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Guess we will continue to argue about what we need, what we don't have, what we should do, etc. Simple fact, not until training camp are we going to know what we have and what we need.

Appearance is that we are relying heavily on analytics in free agency as well as the draft when projected to what players are expected to do.

We got people that fit Zimmer's style of defense and even replaced offense players with new younger players that from 1st take are very dedicated to working to be starters right away. Can they be good? We will know by late August.

Will the Jones extend Dak and Lamb? Will we be a playoff team? Will Lance show to be a decent QB? Many questions, no answers for at least a couple of months.

Predictions are great but never ever spot on. Analysts all have varying answers, click bait, and Las Vegas odds makers have their own crystal balls and God knows ever fan has their own take but until the Cowboys take the field with real contact and real scrimmage will be start to see anything.

As a fan from their very first game, I will hope that it turns out great for them and hopefully go further than last year.

shabazz

Reaction score
See but usually when we're 5-1 as you stated, those wins mask all the bad spots on the team. When we face a series of teams and they run through us, and we end up in a streak of being 1-5 THEN we'll do something!!!. I hear ya though!!
5-1 is ridiculous for the roster we currently have....6-0 is more logical

kskboys

Reaction score
Wasn't Jay Ratliff drafted in the 7th round?

Never say never.
Along w/ Jordan Carroll, Joey Ivie, Sean Lissmore, Josh Brent, and a few others!!! Yup, great place to address a position!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
Guess we will continue to argue about what we need, what we don't have, what we should do, etc. Simple fact, not until training camp are we going to know what we have and what we need.

Appearance is that we are relying heavily on analytics in free agency as well as the draft when projected to what players are expected to do.

We got people that fit Zimmer's style of defense and even replaced offense players with new younger players that from 1st take are very dedicated to working to be starters right away. Can they be good? We will know by late August.

Will the Jones extend Dak and Lamb? Will we be a playoff team? Will Lance show to be a decent QB? Many questions, no answers for at least a couple of months.

Predictions are great but never ever spot on. Analysts all have varying answers, click bait, and Las Vegas odds makers have their own crystal balls and God knows ever fan has their own take but until the Cowboys take the field with real contact and real scrimmage will be start to see anything.

As a fan from their very first game, I will hope that it turns out great for them and hopefully go further than last year.
Seriously? How have you missed the entire draft and FA period? I mean, there's a few questions, absolutely, but it's not hard to get an idea of where we are at each position.

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
With multiple 5th round picks in next year's draft, I'd be surprised if they didn't make a trade for either a DT or RB during TC or early part if the season.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can see them trading a late round pick for a position of need.(rotational player). No way Jerry is trading a first or second day pick, nor do we have the Cap space to do so.
Yes but not for a RB on an expiring contract. I think they devalue the RB position too much.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
See but usually when we're 5-1 as you stated, those wins mask all the bad spots on the team. When we face a series of teams and they run through us, and we end up in a streak of being 1-5 THEN we'll do something!!!. I hear ya though!!
Donr worry bud, the teams slated to run through us are all on the front end of the schedule.

kskboys

Reaction score
With multiple 5th round picks in next year's draft, I'd be surprised if they didn't make a trade for either a DT or RB during TC or early part if the season.
W/ a 5th round pick, you're not getting much. And we don't have the salary cap room for a salary dump.