Belicheat, Brady claim ignorance; NFL Statement Post #434

Staubacher

Reaction score
That's not even a deterrent. You think a team is going to even blink at a fine of 275k if it helps them get to the Super Bowl? To NFL tycoons that kind of money is a night on the town.

750,000 and losing draft picks didn't stop them from cheating. A few hundred thousand won't either.

But I have zero faith the corrupt NFL will handle this ethically.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Money isn't going to be that much of a deterrent. I wonder if the league can take away draft picks.

I'm pretty sure that draft picks and/or suspensions are in play.

joseephuss

Reaction score
That's not even a deterrent. You think a team is going to even blink at a fine of 275k if it helps them get to the Super Bowl? To NFL tycoons that kind of money is a night on the town.

I make no claims of it being a deterrent. I'm just trying to predict the league's response.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Money isn't going to be that much of a deterrent. I wonder if the league can take away draft picks.

Considering past transgressions I think that draft picks almost have to be in the fold. Cheating in the past (and accusations of such for other instances) has to be taken into consideration just as it is for a repeat offender of PEDs, or DUI, or domestic violence rules. A pattern has been established, at this point, and must be taken into consideration (IMHO).

Many people are looking at this as an isolated incident and that's a mistake. Others are taking the "everybody does it" stance and that's also a mistake. It's a clear violation of the rule. It was an intended violation of the rule (if it wasn't the Colt's balls would have been at a similar PSI. The weather excuse is as flawed as it could possibly be). The killer there is intent. It doesn't matter if it was a wink wink deal between Brady and the equipment manager or if Bill was a knowing accomplice (I believe he was and he has been in the past on this exact same issue, they were just never called on it until now). The fact of the matter is there was an intended manipulation of the ball just as a pitcher in baseball would do (for which he would be subsequently be ejected, fined, and possibly suspended).

The ONLY deterrent to the PATS organization to stop stomping their foot across the line of league rules is to start increasing the punishment for continuing to thumb their nose at the NFL and the other 31 teams through manipulating and flat out breaking league rules to gain a competitive advantage. That's exactly what this "minor infraction" (as some have defended it) is all about. A competitive advantage that was a clear violation of stated NFL rules, conceived and implemented by the New England Patriots. Monetary fines are not a deterrent to a billion dollar football organization. When an organization cheats to gain a competitive advantage the punishment must mitigate (to an extent) their ability to compete either through suspensions, draft picks, or both, IMHO.

Craig

Reaction score
if they win the super bowl, i'm sure they'd be fine with not being allowed to have any picks at all next year. Also, I think it would be funny if they got caught using deflated balls again in the super bowl after they won. I don't care if they commit a dozen infractions of this magnitude every season. It still adds up to nothing. Who cares?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Considering past transgressions I think that draft picks almost have to be in the fold. Cheating in the past (and accusations of such for other instances) has to be taken into consideration just as it is for a repeat offender of PEDs, or DUI, or domestic violence rules. A pattern has been established, at this point, and must be taken into consideration (IMHO).

Many people are looking at this as an isolated incident and that's a mistake. Others are taking the "everybody does it" stance and that's also a mistake. It's a clear violation of the rule. It was an intended violation of the rule (if it wasn't the Colt's balls would have been at a similar PSI. The weather excuse is as flawed as it could possibly be). The killer there is intent. It doesn't matter if it was a wink wink deal between Brady and the equipment manager or if Bill was a knowing accomplice (I believe he was and he has been in the past on this exact same issue, they were just never called on it until now). The fact of the matter is there was an intended manipulation of the ball just as a pitcher in baseball would do (for which he would be subsequently be ejected, fined, and possibly suspended).

The ONLY deterrent to the PATS organization to stop stomping their foot across the line of league rules is to start increasing the punishment for continuing to thumb their nose at the NFL and the other 31 teams through manipulating and flat out breaking league rules to gain a competitive advantage. That's exactly what this "minor infraction" (as some have defended it) is all about. A competitive advantage that was a clear violation of stated NFL rules, conceived and implemented by the New England Patriots. Monetary fines are not a deterrent to a billion dollar football organization. When an organization cheats to gain a competitive advantage the punishment must mitigate (to an extent) their ability to compete either through suspensions, draft picks, or both, IMHO.

People are only pointing to the Colts game and saying it was a blowout. But what about the Ravens game that the Pats had to come from behind twice to win. The Pats ran ZERO runs in the second half, save for a QB sneak. Do you think Tom handled the ball enough to notice against BALT??

T-RO

Reaction score
I make no claims of it being a deterrent. I'm just trying to predict the league's response.

Then we agree. The league isn't remotely interested in cleaning this up since they are in the middle of the mud themselves.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
People are only pointing to the Colts game and saying it was a blowout. But what about the Ravens game that the Pats had to come from behind twice to win. The Pats ran ZERO runs in the second half, save for a QB sneak. Do you think Tom handled the ball enough to notice against BALT??

Agreed. The whole ignorance angle being played by the entire organization is a joke. Which is why, in my post, I inferred that Belicheck has been in on this whole thing for a lot longer than the Colts game. This has been going on for a while and Bill has known about it the whole time. They ain't ********ting me.

dfan32

Reaction score
Interesting points about Brady, he had to know the whole time,,, just imagine. two future Hall of Famers are known cheating bastids. Pete Rose is probably glued to the television right now!

I do have a hard time believing a CB would notice the ball being low pressure and Brady would not notice it. A QB is more aware of the condition of those balls than anyone. Most of them could squeese it and damn near tell you the exact air pressure in it.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Agreed. The whole ignorance angle being played by the entire organization is a joke. Which is why, in my post, I inferred that Belicheck has been in on this whole thing for a lot longer than the Colts game. This has been going on for a while and Bill has known about it the whole time. They ain't bull****ting me.

attachment.php

Staubacher

Reaction score
If anyone is deluded that the NFL will come down harshly on the Patriots, just go to NFL.com or watch their network. They present only the side of the Patriots and do not highlight all the criticism and disbelief.

They have no intention of honestly investigating this and punishing NE. They can claim as did Belichick and Brady that they have no way of knowing what happened.

A relatively small fine at worst.

T-RO

Reaction score
Arizona deserves a refund on what it paid to host the Super Bowl. The air is still out of this football.

The credibility or satisfaction surrounding a Patriot win will be gone for anyone save the blind New England homers. And that in a way this also muffles the zeal of a Seattle win. The questions with a Seahawks win would be...is the league compensating like it did when robbing Dallas and the Dez catch?

I can say this much: I won't be watching.

DFWJC

Reaction score
So, let me get this straight:

1. Belicheck and Brady have been in eachothers hip pocket for roughly a decade and a half.

2. Belicheck is notorious for being meticulous about every detail of his team and it's game preparation.

3. The Pats organization has been found guilty once and suspected of cheating several times up to and including manipulating radio signals on both their own and opponents sidelines.

Yet, considering all of that, Belicheck has no idea how Tom Brady likes the condition of the football he uses and has no idea how the team prepares those footballs pre-game or during the game? That's not naive, bro. That's ostrich level sticking your head in the sand. No offense intended.

Well, I did say I wouldn't take offense. All I was doing was being honest about how I feel.
Sounds like you actually have an issue with honesty?
No need to be a complete and total awesome person about it.......bro.
Oh wait, I do sound offended.
Lol

DFWJC

Reaction score
I was with you until the conspiracy theories.

And the bs about being able to throw a freaking deflated ball 10 yards further. What?
If anything, it is the exact opposite.
Rodgers,for example, greatly prefers a max inflated ball.
But in the rain....that does change things.