News: Belichick thinks extra points are a waste of time...PFT proposes changes

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 2, 2014, 7:43 AM EST

Asked on Wednesday about the importance of special teams in the playoffs, Belichick veered off into a discussion about how special teams have been de-emphasized in today’s NFL. Specifically, Belichick mentioned that most kickoffs now go for touchbacks, and that extra points are so easy as to be meaningless.

“I personally would love to see the kicking game remain as a very integral part of the game so that the kickoffs are returned and so that extra points are not over 99 percent converted because that’s not what extra points were when they were initially put into the game back 80 years ago, whatever it was,” Belichick said.
I happen to agree with Belichick that the NFL should change its rules in some way so that 99 percent of touchdowns aren’t followed by the most boring play in the sport. Here are a few of the ways the rule could be changed:
  • Eliminate extra point kicks entirely.
  • Follow the lead of the XFL.
  • Move the line of scrimmage on extra point kicks to the 20-yard line.
  • Move the line of scrimmage for all extra points up to the 1-yard line.
  • Require the player who scored the touchdown to kick the extra point.
  • Bring back the drop kick.
Read the rest for the proposal details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/belichick-thinks-extra-points-are-a-waste-of-time/

Aussie Cowboy

Reaction score
Or do as is done in Rugby & Rugby league and make kick from where the TD is scored ie. score under the posts and the conversion is from right in front, score a TD near the sideline and kick the PAT from the sideline from as far out from the uprights as you want - this opens up the angle but also increases the distance. This would for sure make the "most boring play in the sport" more interesting and would have a lot more riding on each attempt by the kicker. I don't think it will ever happen but you never know.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
If you got rid of kickers altogether, this would be a non-issue.

You need the extra points, or to change the value of FGs or TDs, otherwise, there will be a lot more ties. Plus, the almost guaranteed extra point makes a TD far more valuable because it means 2 FGs won't tie it up.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Asked on Wednesday about the importance of special teams in the playoffs, Belichick veered off into a discussion about how special teams have been de-emphasized in today’s NFL. Specifically, Belichick mentioned that most kickoffs now go for touchbacks, and that extra points are so easy as to be meaningless.

“I personally would love to see the kicking game remain as a very integral part of the game so that the kickoffs are returned
I'm guessing Belecheat doesn't agree with Goddell about making the game safer.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
Eliminating the extra point in favor of only 2 point conversions would be incredible but the NFL would never have the balls to do it.

sbark

Reaction score
Eliminating the extra point in favor of only 2 point conversions would be incredible but the NFL would never have the balls to do it.

Instead of just 2 points.........make it enough points so that going for it vrs a 99% 1 point becomes a every touchdown decision in a close nfl game---not sure where that point would be? 3 points enough?

wick

Reaction score

“I personally would love to see the kicking game remain as a very integral part of the game so that the kickoffs are returned and so that extra points are not over 99 percent converted because that’s not what extra points were when they were initially put into the game back 80 years ago, whatever it was,” Belichick said.
I happen to agree with Belichick that the NFL should change its rules in some way so that 99 percent of touchdowns aren’t followed by the most boring play in the sport. Here are a few of the ways the rule could be changed:
Read the rest for the proposal details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/belichick-thinks-extra-points-are-a-waste-of-time/

I would eliminate the PAT kick and make teams run a play from either a short distance for one point or a longer distance for two points. Use statistical analysis to determine the appropriate lengths for each.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I more with Risen on this one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only thing I'd really wouldn't mind seeing if they just absolutely HAVE to change something, is pushing the PAT back 10-15 yards.

Anything else and you're changing the strategy of the game entirely.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I more with Risen on this one. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The only thing I'd really wouldn't mind seeing if they just absolutely HAVE to change something, is pushing the PAT back 10-15 yards.

Anything else and you're changing the strategy of the game entirely.

That, to me, is the worst possible solution, because it takes the 2-pointer completely out of play.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

In todays game, I would assume it helps with advertising profits/commericals, etc. the time we all go to the bathroom, smoke a cig, etc.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I agree though, that the extra point ether needs to be done away with entirely (either with forcing 2 point conversions or making a TD worth 7) or made so it's not automatic. As it is right now, the point after is a complete waste of time.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
On a side note...if the league slowly moves towards wanting to eliminating anything involving the foot, at what point does the sport have to change its name?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If this would happen, then you need to make a rule every time your inside the 20 you must go for a TD, no FG's. Therefore if extra points are for 30 yards, then no FG's less than 30 yards.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
That, to me, is the worst possible solution, because it takes the 2-pointer completely out of play.

I probably should've been more specific, but I kind of meant that the two would be independent.

2pt conversion stays the same, and the EP attempts are tried from farther out so as not to be so automatic.

I wouldn't necessarily want this, but could live with it if it were to happen.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not cool. You do realize that Buehler is probably sprinting to your house through traffic at this very moment to destroy you.
lol

I painted the doorframe yellow, I assume he'll run straight into it.