News: Belichick thinks extra points are a waste of time...PFT proposes changes

theSHOW

Reaction score

rcaldw

Reaction score
Oh please I give up, stop throwing my clothes out the window. lol I clicked on the rules changes you sent us and how about that...they even talk about helmets. Ok please stop You win I give up.

lol... I can't grant comprehension. It must be fun to live a life without the presence of nuance.

"So... I am talking about RULES that have to do with game play.... you are talking about rules or standards that have to do with EQUIPMENT."

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Well if the almighty Belichick says it's not necessary then by all means eliminate the extra point.

sbark

Reaction score
You can't make the extra point worth more than a FG unless you change the value of FGs from 3 pts to 1 or 2 pts to up to 4 pts for over say 50 yards. You could also escalate the value of non-kicking extra points to up to 3 points from the 10-12 yd line or 2 points from the 2.5 yd line.

Would add a lot of game mngt strategy and possibilities to the game................Garrett with his Ivy league smarts would shine.......:)

Deep_South

Reaction score
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 2, 2014, 7:43 AM EST

Asked on Wednesday about the importance of special teams in the playoffs, Belichick veered off into a discussion about how special teams have been de-emphasized in today’s NFL. Specifically, Belichick mentioned that most kickoffs now go for touchbacks, and that extra points are so easy as to be meaningless.

“I personally would love to see the kicking game remain as a very integral part of the game so that the kickoffs are returned and so that extra points are not over 99 percent converted because that’s not what extra points were when they were initially put into the game back 80 years ago, whatever it was,” Belichick said.
I happen to agree with Belichick that the NFL should change its rules in some way so that 99 percent of touchdowns aren’t followed by the most boring play in the sport. Here are a few of the ways the rule could be changed:
  • Eliminate extra point kicks entirely.
  • Follow the lead of the XFL.
  • Move the line of scrimmage on extra point kicks to the 20-yard line.
  • Move the line of scrimmage for all extra points up to the 1-yard line.
  • Require the player who scored the touchdown to kick the extra point.
  • Bring back the drop kick.
Read the rest for the proposal details: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/02/belichick-thinks-extra-points-are-a-waste-of-time/

Hey, thanks for the link. It's great to hear Belichick talk about football in detail. I had no idea it used to be SOP to punt on first down inside your own 10.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
OK it would be hilarious to see the last two possibilities.

The player scoring the TD required to complete the extra point or a drop kick by the player scoring the TD.

Combine this with the two point conversion scrimmage line from the 15 to make a two more difficult and now the play after the TD would become much more interesting and truly contested points.

As much as people want to complain about this change I agree with either getting rid of what are essentially automatic points or increasing the degree of difficulty so the entertainment value of each play in the game is maximized.

As a football fan why would you support plays that are largely proven to be statistically irrelevant.

The first few years of transition I could see great humour and load of blooper highlights from ill advised attempts to place kick or drop kick. The foot would truly play a role in football.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
That's my favorite one. Could be comical.

Could you imagine someone like this scoring a TD on defense and having to kick the PAT?

http://********.com/5937248/is-this...pennsylvania-the-largest-football-player-ever

cml750

Reaction score
You can't make the extra point worth more than a FG unless you change the value of FGs from 3 pts to 1 or 2 pts to up to 4 pts for over say 50 yards. You could also escalate the value of non-kicking extra points to up to 3 points from the 10-12 yd line or 2 points from the 2.5 yd line.

We would be in trouble. Garrett already can't manage a simple game clock. Just imagine if he had to think through all those point scenarios. His head might explode.;)

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In other news, the intentional walk is almost automatic, so why have the pitcher throw 4 pitches, just wave them on to first base....
"Why use four pitches to put someone on base intentionally when I can do it with one?" --Don Drysdale

This discussion comes up all the time in baseball circles. Wouldn't bother me at all if they changed it.

Venger

Reaction score
I actually thought about this earlier this year as I mused about what a waste of time and effort the PAT is. If it is automatic, then let's make it so. It would not change anything strategy wise about the game - the PAT is an afterthought. Leave the team the option to go for 2 - which of course means losing the automatic 1. We eliminate a boring, pointless PAT, while leaving the game unchanged for all practical purposes.

I wonder how many people are injured on PATs. It might be insignificant, but that'd be eliminated as well.

Of course, the kickers will ***** ***** *****... no more easy point accumulations anymore. Whoever is the all time scoring leader is going to remain so for the rest of time...

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
I'd be fine with just giving a team an automatic "extra point" after a TD that you would have the option to either take or risk losing if you want to go for 2.

if any change MUST be made, this one would be best I think.take the automatic 1 or give up the 1 to go for 2

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We would be in trouble. Garrett already can't manage a simple game clock. Just imagine if he had to think through all those point scenarios. His head might explode.;)

I doubt he has much to worry about as far as my thoughts. I was just throwing stuff out there. :)

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I'd be fine with just giving a team an automatic "extra point" after a TD that you would have the option to either take or risk losing if you want to go for 2.

Thats good. How do we get an idea to the mainstream?

Ashwynn

Reaction score
If we did that and just gave the ball to the offense at the 20 or 35 to start games and after TDs we could do away with kickers, LS and holders. Thats 3 extra roster spots for D linemen or TE's though the NFL would probably just eliminate the positions.