Believe Surtain is their 1 Target

garyv

Reaction score
So hoping Surtain and Horn are both taken before 10! lol

Me personally what I am hoping is at #10 there are a couple of good QB's setting there and someone calls us to trade up.
We pickup maybe another 3rd Rounder and still get a Horn or a Moehrig at Safety or whomever. I like the fact that between
rounds 3 to 5 there are plenty of solid LB's and we need a couple. I want to come out of the first 5 rounds with the following:

1-CB
1-Safety
1-DT
1-OL
2-LB

We have 7 picks in these 5 rounds and this is exactly what we need and its everyones different opinion the order.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Me personally what I am hoping is at #10 there are a couple of good QB's setting there and someone calls us to trade up.
We pickup maybe another 3rd Rounder and still get a Horn or a Moehrig at Safety or whomever. I like the fact that between
rounds 3 to 5 there are plenty of solid LB's and we need a couple. I want to come out of the first 5 rounds with the following:

1-CB
1-Safety
1-DT
1-OL
2-LB

We have 7 picks in these 5 rounds and this is exactly what we need and its everyones different opinion the order.

If the top talents are wiped out this would be ideal for me as well. I’d feel much better about taking this years crop of CBs around 20 than I would at 10. And you could likely add another 3rd.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he's the 1 target of other teams as well and some of them picking ahead of Dallas.

That said, I'd grab him if he's there and double down with taking Farley in the 2nd if he falls. Booger likes banged up players in the 2nd round.

817Gill

Reaction score
Many media scouts, believe Horn is the #1 corner in the class. With the news of Farley, I don't think he gets out of the top 15. I would be surprised if Barmore gets drafted in the teens, he is more of a fringe 1st rounder.
People have this trumped up image of Barmore and it’s super shallow (just from the CFB Playoffs). Dude is a 25-40 guy, that’s not worth bringing him in to the 3T room.

We need to let go of the idea that a 3T will be drafted high. We’ve invested two top 100 picks on 3T’s in back to back years. No matter how y’all feel about Hill and Gallimore, no FO is tripling down on 3T like that; especially when both guys have shown some measure of progress and/or potential.

Also, DT isn’t an easy transition. No rookie in this class is going to be a day 1 difference maker, at best they’ll give us what Gallimore or Hill would this year.

Again, no matter how y’all feel, all signs point to no more high investment additions to the 3T’s.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Or maybe you send all your scouting department because Alabama is a football factory and they have many players you would consider drafting at various points in the draft.
I wonder how many Alabama Pro Days will McClay hasn't gone too

I think the size of their presence at Louisiana Tech's pro day is more telling

Reactions: JPM

Cowboyny

Reaction score
People have this trumped up image of Barmore and it’s super shallow (just from the CFB Playoffs). Dude is a 25-40 guy, that’s not worth bringing him in to the 3T room.

We need to let go of the idea that a 3T will be drafted high. We’ve invested two top 100 picks on 3T’s in back to back years. No matter how y’all feel about Hill and Gallimore, no FO is tripling down on 3T like that; especially when both guys have shown some measure of progress and/or potential.

Also, DT isn’t an easy transition. No rookie in this class is going to be a day 1 difference maker, at best they’ll give us what Gallimore or Hill would this year.

Again, no matter how y’all feel, all signs point to no more high investment additions to the 3T’s.
Couldn't agree more. Need is more for the future at the 1 at the position.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Sorry but don't agree with these scouts. Surtain is hands down the best corner in the draft. Playing at the highest level of competition in college football and going against Devonta Smith everyday in practice. These reps matter if I'm a scout. Not to mention he's played with Trevon Diggs. It makes wayyy too much sense for Dallas to take him at 10. Horn is a good player but not a top 10.
I am a Farley guy, but I agree like Surtain far more then Horn. I think Horn is going to be a flag machine on the next level.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
If Horne blows up his pro day his floor is 12 and he might get picked before Surtain. Please let him perform well. I want choices.
Fish recently mentioned there is a tie between Horn and the coaching staff. Can't rule him out at 10, but still believe Surtain will be ahead of him on the Cowboys Final Board.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I totally agree with your premise but lets see how the Cowboys react to Hornes pro day today. I think cornerback is what they believe their number 1 need is at this time. It is important that another cornerback steps up because of Farley’s injury. I don’t want a team taking advantage of the Joneses and forcing us to use draft capital to move up to draft Surtain. Hopefully Horne is a true 6’1 and runs a 4.3 forty.
That would be a terrible mistake in a deep corner class. Personally, I am still hoping they take Slater if he is available.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Jaycee Horn with a 4.39 40 at his pro day...these pro day 40 times are becoming laughable.

Preparing myself for the "now he totally deserves consideration at 10" comments.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jaycee Horn with a 4.39 40 at his pro day...these pro day 40 times are becoming laughable.

Preparing myself for the "now he totally deserves consideration at 10" comments.
Hand times. If you want to compare to electronic combine times it looks like you add around .06 which makes him 4.45 which is still good.

MrPhil

Reaction score
I can absolutely see this happening and if Fields does fall to 10, there may or may not be any trade offers to come get him. New England could want to get ahead of SF and maybe Chicago would make a move, but other than them I don't see any suitors.

1.Lawrence 2.Sewell 3.Chase 4.Wilson 5.Waddle 6.Smith 7.Pitts 8.Slater 9.Surtain
10. No trade offer worth moving for comes in so who ya taken? Farley? Parsons? Horn? Collins? JOK? Barmore? Darrisaw? Vera-Tucker?
I personally would lean towards Horn or Collins, maybe JOK.

I think there is a decent chance that both Fields and Jones end up in the Top 10.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hand times. If you want to compare to electronic combine times it looks like you add around .06 which makes him 4.45 which is still good.

Hand times are kind of a joke...I've seen them be be as different as .05-.15 seconds faster than combine times.

That's why the 40 times don't change much for me on Surtain or Horn...it also doesn't help that they elected not to do the short area drills which I think are big for CBs.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I am a Farley guy, but I agree like Surtain far more then Horn. I think Horn is going to be a flag machine on the next level.
overall CB comments.
Before the medical & parental issues were publicly known, Farley was the type player whose "potential" made it tempting to bypass the far more accomplished player. for me that ship has sailed as far as first round is concerned.
Horn seems to be a hybrid of Farley & Surtain but the grabbiness is a big concern for me as well. I don't think I could take before .... 15?
With the rising buzz on guys like Newsome, it might not be the end of the world if we did some wheeling & dealing and got one later in the first or even the second.

rambo2

Reaction score
They could very well take Surtain at 10. They probably like Horn also. I think they will either take Surtain or Horn or one of the offensive tackles at 10 or they will trade back. They might trade back to between 12 and 15 and still get one of the corners or they could even go back farther and get Newsome.

rambo2

Reaction score
When you look at the tea leaves, everything points to them taking a corner at 10.
Yes, and looks like a good spot for it. One of Surtain or Horn should be available and they both might be and they look to have good value at 10. They could also trade back a few spots and still might get one of those two players.

rambo2

Reaction score
Hard to be a Farley guy when he has a back issue and there are players like Surtain, Horn, and Newman available.