Benjamin Albright on Rams and 1st pick; Cowboys and Goff

TonyS

Reaction score
If the reports are true that the Eagles were close to getting the no. 1 pick in a trade with Tennessee, then what will stop them from jumping in front of the Boys at 2 or 3 to get Goff if he is their target?

If the Boys had to move to 2 to get Goff does everyone think he is still worth it?

Gaede

Reaction score
If the reports are true that the Eagles were close to getting the no. 1 pick in a trade with Tennessee, then what will stop them from jumping in front of the Boys at 2 or 3 to get Goff if he is their target?

If the Boys had to move to 2 to get Goff does everyone think he is still worth it?

No. Trading away the future rarely works. I don't like the idea.

JBS

Reaction score

What will stop philly ? How about the rams taking their guy

AzorAhai

Reaction score

If they think he's a franchise QB then absolutely. I have since before last season. If all it takes is next years 1st(hopefully a pick in the 20-32 range), get it done yesterday.

It's not going to be popular, but you have to trust the grade. If they have them graded high enough to take at 4, they have a franchise grade on him.

Now if it gets into the extreme cost like our 2nd, a future 1st and a couple of extra picks, my opinion changes on it. At that point you can just about pick the year you want to make a move and do it then.

I'm sure my alerts will be full about even mentioning trading up now.:laugh:

Killerinstinct

Reaction score
If they think he's a franchise QB then absolutely. I have since before last season. If all it takes is next years 1st(hopefully a pick in the 20-32 range), get it done yesterday.

It's not going to be popular, but you have to trust the grade. If they have them graded high enough to take at 4, they have a franchise grade on him.

Now if it gets into the extreme cost like our 2nd, a future 1st and a couple of extra picks, my opinion changes on it. At that point you can just about pick the year you want to make a move and do it then.

I'm sure my alerts will be full about even mentioning trading up now.:laugh:

Just to understand. You want to use not only this years first(the highest draft pick we have had in a long time) but next years first as well to draft the 2nd QB with an eye towards sitting him for a few years?

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont know about this,others reports say the Rams are going with Goff.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Kroenke had Jerry give the presentation to the league owners to get approval for them to move. I imagine if Jerry called him up and asked him who they are taking, he is not going to BS Jerry.

We also know that Jerry is going out to Cali to work out Goff in person, so why would Jerry do this if he calls the Rams and knows they are taking Goff? Its pretty much a wasted trip at that point. Ergo, I think Wentz is the QB the Rams are looking at and that leaves Goff to possibly drop to us at 4 or set up a possible trade with Cleveand.

Word is we can flip 4 for 2 and only have to give Cleveland our 1 next year (which probably will be in the 20s)........so you get a franchise QB and compared to what the Rams just had to pay, you are getting your franchise QB dirt cheap with a single pick in the 20 range next year.

Makes a ton of sense, especially if they know something about Romo that we don't...........and trust me fellas, if they actually believed Romo had 5 years left in him, they would not be wasting their time bringing in and working out all of these QBs.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Kroenke had Jerry give the presentation to the league owners to get approval for them to move. I imagine if Jerry called him up and asked him who they are taking, he is not going to BS Jerry.

We also know that Jerry is going out to Cali to work out Goff in person, so why would Jerry do this if he calls the Rams and knows they are taking Goff? Its pretty much a wasted trip at that point. Ergo, I think Wentz is the QB the Rams are looking at and that leaves Goff to possibly drop to us at 4 or set up a possible trade with Cleveand.

Word is we can flip 4 for 2 and only have to give Cleveland our 1 next year (which probably will be in the 20s)........so you get a franchise QB and compared to what the Rams just had to pay, you are getting your franchise QB dirt cheap with a single pick in the 20 range next year.

Makes a ton of sense, especially if they know something about Romo that we don't...........and trust me fellas, if they actually believed Romo had 5 years left in him, they would not be wasting their time bringing in and working out all of these QBs.

Smart, reasonable post. That pick next year could easily fall within a dozen picks of our 2nd this year. That would give them the opportunity to still fill the roster out with some immediate help for Romo to try to make a run this year for a late 1st. You've also set yourself up with a b/u QB for now and jump started the process of filling Romo's position for the future.

By the time Romo is done most of the other upper tier players we have will still be in their prime or just starting to approach their decline years. If at all possible it would be nice to avoid having to tank for a QB, start them immediately and give them 2-3 years to learn NFL football. Failing to do that would put them at the tail end of a lot of our best players careers. That's even assuming a franchise caliber QB is in the draft the year we need one.

Even worse would be having to trade a kings ransom later to move up. Then we end up still pushing a QB right into the starting spot and giving them time to learn while also not having any picks to replace the best players on our team as they start their decline. If Goff is there and Cleveland is willing to move for our 1st next year I jump at the opportunity.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Smart, reasonable post. That pick next year could easily fall within a dozen picks of our 2nd this year. That would give them the opportunity to still fill the roster out with some immediate help for Romo to try to make a run this year for a late 1st. You've also set yourself up with a b/u QB for now and jump started the process of filling Romo's position for the future.

By the time Romo is done most of the other upper tier players we have will still be in their prime or just starting to approach their decline years. If at all possible it would be nice to avoid having to tank for a QB, start them immediately and give them 2-3 years to learn NFL football. Failing to do that would put them at the tail end of a lot of our best players careers. That's even assuming a franchise caliber QB is in the draft the year we need one.

Even worse would be having to trade a kings ransom later to move up. Then we end up still pushing a QB right into the starting spot and giving them time to learn while also not having any picks to replace the best players on our team as they start their decline. If Goff is there and Cleveland is willing to move for our 1st next year I jump at the opportunity.

I do the trade as well........otherwise we will be the Rams in a couple of seasons and have to trade the farm for a QB

UncleOscar

Reaction score
Are all you guys assuming Cleveland is agreeable to making that trade? Where has that been reported? And what if SF jumped in and offered a Kings ransom to Cleveland? I just think if indeed Cleveland is interested in trading, we'll need to offer more than what the chart says. Jerry has a history of getting careless when he gets desperate as we saw last year when he blinked at the 11th hour and caved in and gave Dez that monster contract. Jerry feels emboldened after his masterful actions in getting the Rams back to LA, and all that talk that Steven, Will, Garrett have him under control goes out the window.

Gaede

Reaction score
Are all you guys assuming Cleveland is agreeable to making that trade? Where has that been reported? And what if SF jumped in and offered a Kings ransom to Cleveland? I just think if indeed Cleveland is interested in trading, we'll need to offer more than what the chart says. Jerry has a history of getting careless when he gets desperate as we saw last year when he blinked at the 11th hour and caved in and gave Dez that monster contract. Jerry feels emboldened after his masterful actions in getting the Rams back to LA, and all that talk that Steven, Will, Garrett have him under control goes out the window.

Good point.

Perhaps there's a player they want but will go top 5.