Benjamin Albright on Rams and 1st pick; Cowboys and Goff

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Maybe. I've seen about a 50-50 split on twitter. ESPN took Schefters report and thats all they've been going on. Everywhere else is pretty split. Maybe Jerry called in a favor with the LA owner and knows something we don't.

Whether this report or the Goff going #1 is true, I have a feeling the Cowboys know who LA is going to pick and competitors may not

UncleOscar

Reaction score
I've just had an early morning epiphany. I'm thinking the Cowboys top interest had been in Wentz, and now that he is off the board, the Cowboys are going to work out Goff just in case he falls to them at 4. I wonder if there is some division in Cowboys management in taking Goff vs trying for Lynch later in draft, or a trying for a tier 2 QB later in draft? It seems to me this workout is to alleviate any doubts some in the Cowboy's management might have on Goff.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I've just had an early morning epiphany. I'm thinking the Cowboys top interest had been in Wentz, and now that he is off the board, the Cowboys are going to work out Goff just in case he falls to them at 4. I wonder if there is some division in Cowboys management in taking Goff vs trying for Lynch later in draft, or a trying for a tier 2 QB later in draft? It seems to me this workout is to alleviate any doubts some in the Cowboy's management might have on Goff.

I agree. Wentz more than likely is/was their guy, if they want to go QB at 4 or sooner.

Fredd

Reaction score
This whole thread is giving me the willies....I still don't believe either of these QBs is top 5 material...they ARE because teams need a QB...but, to say that dallas might trade LEGIT assets to #2 to get Goff? wait, I'll be right back, gotta go vomit.....if Dallas makes a desperation move to #2 to get a QB, then you can be sure that the REAL smokescreen that it being floated out there is that Romo is "ok"

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Are all you guys assuming Cleveland is agreeable to making that trade? Where has that been reported? And what if SF jumped in and offered a Kings ransom to Cleveland? I just think if indeed Cleveland is interested in trading, we'll need to offer more than what the chart says. Jerry has a history of getting careless when he gets desperate as we saw last year when he blinked at the 11th hour and caved in and gave Dez that monster contract. Jerry feels emboldened after his masterful actions in getting the Rams back to LA, and all that talk that Steven, Will, Garrett have him under control goes out the window.

They've been reported even before the Rams trade as not wanting to take a QB. If they do want one or some team is going to blow the trade chart away then the point becomes moot. You don't overpay because you can do that anytime. The Rams trade, while a lot of picks, wasn't a huge overpay based on the charts.

fishspill

Reaction score

I've said all along I doubt the coaches have much interest in using #4 or #34 on a QB. They're hanging on by a thread and want to use every resource there is to keep their jobs. Jerry and Stephen hopefully recognize the natural disconnect between the coaches' interest and the team's long-term interest. But you know how it seems they want to manage by consensus at times and how frustrating it can be.

cds99

Reaction score
They can talk all that crap that they want (front office) but if they are working out qbs this much, they are interested. You don't have numerous meeting and private workouts on more than one occasion and not be interested. They just don't want to show all their cards, however I wouldn't be surprised if jerry moves to 2 and takes either Goff or wentz.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

SJ/scouts not scared of losing their jobs: Goff v JJ 2nd tier probably (Romo will play til he's 50, it's SCIENCE, etc.)

fishspill

Reaction score
They can talk all that crap that they want (front office) but if they are working out qbs this much, they are interested. You don't have numerous meeting and private workouts on more than one occasion and not be interested. They just don't want to show all their cards, however I wouldn't be surprised if jerry moves to 2 and takes either Goff or wentz.

The #4 pick means you come out of the draft with Goff, Wentz, Bosa, or Ramsey. It's a can't-lose position from a choice perspective. Anyone can bust.

Reaction score

Agreed. Actions speak louder than words. To me, our complete failure to look at QBs in free agency speaks volumes about how serious they are about picking one in the draft. If the plan is to move up to 2 to pick one and give away next year's #1, I'll take it to stabilize the franchise for the next decade and not have to pay as much as the Rams did in the future. It is better to pick a QB now when you don't NEED one, than get desperate when you DO need one and have to give up the farm.

cds99

Reaction score
Agreed. Actions speak louder than words. To me, our complete failure to look at QBs in free agency speaks volumes about how serious they are about picking one in the draft. If the plan is to move up to 2 to pick one and give away next year's #1, I'll take it to stabilize the franchise for the next decade and not have to pay as much as the Rams did in the future. It is better to pick a QB now when you don't NEED one, than get desperate when you DO need one and have to give up the farm.

Couldn't have quoted a more accurate spot on post. Amen by man.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Maybe. I've seen about a 50-50 split on twitter. ESPN took Schefters report and thats all they've been going on. Everywhere else is pretty split. Maybe Jerry called in a favor with the LA owner and knows something we don't.

Right, the Rams will pass on a guy they just traded a ton for to do us a favor.

A favor is voting for something Jerry supports in a league meeting. No owner, coach, or GM is going to do a favor involving a pick like this

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Right, the Rams will pass on a guy they just traded a ton for to do us a favor.

A favor is voting for something Jerry supports in a league meeting. No owner, coach, or GM is going to do a favor involving a pick like this

A favor as in telling them who they are picking... Facts are key to a good smart*** comment.

cds99

Reaction score
I know we have a lot of CZ individuals who feel we need to go defense and even more who are on the QB wagon. I am on both but more so on wanting a QB. Everyone has watched Romo play and get hurt for the past 3 season to a certain degree. That isn't going to change only get worse. Why wait and get a scrub backup later in the draft, or some no name free agency backup who is a camp body to push the depth and hope for a miracle. Stand your ground, if the front office and scouts believe that Wentz, Goff or Lynch is a franchise guy, go to 2 and get him or take Lynch at 4. If they could have to chance to sit like Aaron Rodgers did behind a legend the chances of them learning everything they need to know, and failing is cut back greatly and will be worth while. Not to mention, Jerry slobbered at the mouth wanting that geek Manziel, he is in a better position to draft a better candidate for that position now that he was before, I just don't think he is going to pass for another position.

Let Romo get hurt this year and everyone who is saying we don't need/want to take a qb, will be eating crow.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If we do this it'll be worse than the Galloway.

I don't know if it will be worse than Galloway but it would be 2 #1s spent on a player you hope never takes a snap for 3-4 years. That's the problem with taking the QB at #4 this year. If things go like you hope for Romo, the new QB won't have played enough to justify a big second contract by the time he will be due to get one and you will have wasted huge draft capital on a 2nd string player. If a QB is in the cards this season, it should be a later pick that can be developed for a few years. The problem with that is they have no legitimate veteran backup at the moment. It would be nice to get a legit vet backup with a draft day trade as well as a promising rookie in the mid rounds. Then simply spend the rest of the draft improving the defense at all three levels and getting a WR and RB along the way.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
A favor as in telling them who they are picking... Facts are key to a good smart*** comment.

Why would we need to know that? Most trades happen on the clock and most teams have trade parameters for a number of scenarios. That information would be of little advantage

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Why would we need to know that? Most trades happen on the clock and most teams have trade parameters for a number of scenarios. That information would be of little advantage

I think he means they tell Dallas their choice is Wentz so that The Cowboys know to focus on Goff as the only QB that might be available. Thus the trip to work out Goff.

I could be wrong though. That is how I took it.