Benjamin Albright on Rams and 1st pick; Cowboys and Goff

fishspill

Reaction score
I really don't follow. If you agree that Rivers is a better QB than Eli, the Giants would have done even better with Rivers than with Eli. The two Super Bowl rings Eli has are because he had a superior defense and supporting cast around him. I can make the argument that because Eli had three first round losses in the playoffs, they would have won more than 2 Super Bowls with Rivers.

"Trent Dilfer has a Super Bowl Ring" is one of the laziest posts around, but if the Giants had traded Rivers and a Top 15 pick for Trent Dilfer, would they still get credit for the move?

Well Eli has been a better playoff QB so I don't see how I'd expect Rivers to have more titles.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Well Eli has been a better playoff QB so I don't see how I'd expect Rivers to have more titles.

No, Eli has more Super Bowl wins than Rivers because he had elite talent around him. The two years he got a ring the Giants had an elite defense with JPP and Umenyiora dominating, a strong running game and a very good WR like Plaxico and Victor Cruz. Eli didn't win those games, he just didn't choke.

And there were two years with first round losses where Eli did choke.

In 2005 Eli had 3 INTS, 0 TDs and 113 yards passing. First round loss.

In 2008 Eli had 2 INTs, 0 TDs and 169 yards passing. First round loss.

If you look at Rivers and his postseason record, he was on teams with much less talent and never choked.

fishspill

Reaction score
No, Eli has more Super Bowl wins than Rivers because he had elite talent around him. The two years he got a ring the Giants had an elite defense with JPP and Umenyiora dominating, a strong running game and a very good WR like Plaxico and Victor Cruz. Eli didn't win those games, he just didn't choke.

And there were two years with first round losses where Eli did choke.

In 2005 Eli had 3 INTS, 0 TDs and 113 yards passing. First round loss.

In 2008 Eli had 2 INTs, 0 TDs and 169 yards passing. First round loss.

If you look at Rivers and his postseason record, he was on teams with much less talent and never choked.

I disagree as does their respective QB ratings, TD totals, and INT totals.
I'm afraid we're just not going to see eye to eye on this issue.

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
All I know is that if there is an under/over for Romo playing say 4 full seasons I am going on the under, in fact if he makes 4 games here major surprise.The NFL knows exactly which vertebrae and they all put a helmet into it on every deep ball.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If Goff weren't going to be sitting for three/four/five years, I'd say go get him. But because he's going to be sitting so long, I would not be in favor of giving a first next year to get him. Sorry.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
If Goff weren't going to be sitting for three/four/five years, I'd say go get him. But because he's going to be sitting so long, I would not be in favor of giving a first next year to get him. Sorry.

What about two? Because I think thats a far more reasonable time table to expect him to play. If he suffers another major injury this year, I honestly would not be surprised to see them move on all together(if they draft Goff, Wentz or Lynch).

If one of those are picked I would expect him to be on what amounts to a two year deal at that point. If he performs at an elite level AND stays healthy, which is a huge if to me, then and only then does he get beyond 2 years.

That 2 year plan puts only the Frederick extension on the books with Romo here. That would give them 2 years of a relatively cheap QB cap hit of between 7-8 million, down from 24 million. This nets an extra 11-12 million in space, which when combined with the 10 million from when Witten leaves, could prove vital for the next wave of extensions.

That 2 year Romo/Witten window lines up perfectly with when Martin, Collins and Lawrence would be in line for raises, while also allowing the Dez deal to expire before said QB needs to have their 5th year option picked up. All the while the cap goes up and you have room for the QBs next deal.

If they do indeed take a QB, be it at 4 or a trade up to 2, I think its a 2 year window for Romo. Thats just my opinion though.

Last edited:

pjtoadie

Well known member
Reaction score

Don't drink the Jerry Kool-Aid about Romo playing another 5 years...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
What about two? Because I think thats a far more reasonable time table to expect him to play. If he suffers another major injury this year, I honestly would not be surprised to see them move on all together(if they draft Goff, Wentz or Lynch).

If one of those are picked I would expect him to be on what amounts to a two year deal at that point. If he performs at an elite level AND stays healthy, which is a huge if to me, then and only then does he get beyond 2 years.

That 2 year plan puts only the Frederick extension on the books with Romo here. That would give them 2 years of a relatively cheap QB cap hit of between 7-8 million, down from 24 million. This nets an extra 11-12 million in space, which when combined with the 10 million from when Witten leaves, could prove vital for the next wave of extensions.

That 2 year Romo/Witten window lines up perfectly with when Martin, Collins and Lawrence would be in line for raises, while also allowing the Dez deal to expire before said QB needs to have their 5th year option picked up. All the while the cap goes up and you have room for the QBs next deal.

If they do indeed take a QB, be it at 4 or a trade up to 2, I think its a 2 year window for Romo. Thats just my opinion though.

I would be in favor of it if after two years, Goff assumed the starting quarterback position. But this has to be the case even if Romo is healthy.

We don't need to draft Goff is he's sitting for three or four years. It would be a waste of his youth and his learning experience under fire.