Best Album of All Time

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it's swell of us to let them talk football on our music site and from what I've seen there are a hell of a lot that know more about music than football.........present company included.

You may or may not know (isn't that clever, narrowing it down to only two options?) how Album Oriented Rock aka AOR which morphed into Classic Rock came into being and accelerated the growth of bands and music but also helped the record labels in spite of their own myopic point of view.

Radio was really at the mercy of record labels and it was a single song world and the number of 45's sold versus 33's was really top heavy with the real record buyers, 12-24's back then. Radio stations faced the wrath of the labels if they jumped the gun on a release date and faced service being cut off. It really was more of a tail wagging the dog back then.

FM was still the stepchild of AM in the 60's and early 70's and there were few format holes on the AM side and with the better audio quality on the FM side, it was a natural progression. There is really no evidence of the first architect of the format but many feel it was KSAN is SF and idea was considered really experimental and radical at the time. Radio was song driven, not artist driven and the format formula went completely against the grain of playing the hits in tight rotation.

What actually started this idea was the British Invasion. So many singles were being released off albums from the Beatles and the Stones, it was an awakening to radio, the labels and the artists. The artists were trying to get songs released to sell singles and didn't realize the kids would get smart and figure out it's cheaper to buy the album instead of the singles, if it was a super band.

So, program directors at AOR stations didn't just listen to songs, they listened to albums and projected the "singles" off the album and began playing them faster and some times 3 songs at once off the same album. They were previewing entire albums for their audience at 11 or 12 at night. It was the birth of something entirely new for radio and was the instigator of album sales for the labels. These maverick program directors actually helped the labels and once they realized it, changed how A&R guys and producers approached building an album.

Sorry for the length of this but until birth was given to the AOR format,, I could have cared less for Top 40 radio because AOR wasn't about radio, it was about the music.

Picking the best album of all time is tricky indeed as there are so many to choose from and there is no real criteria, it is your opinion,. Doesn't matter how many hits were on it but there is one rule, no greatest hits or compilations, it must be an album constructed by one artist or band so Saturday Night Fever would not qualify or a compilation of British Invasion or Motown artists on an album would not qualify.

So, what say you, you little resident musicologists?

Note: I only bring up AOR because that really is what mushroomed album sales but jazz listeners had been buying albums for years, there just weren't many of them. Your BAOAT might be Classical, Country or Jazz.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Excellent foreword, CC. Thanks for the history lesson! No, really, I mean it, that was interesting!

Anyway, my choice for GOAT is
XJvLiEhl.jpg
3S8FAzSl.jpg

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys.

Hugely influential in the music scene for years to come.

From Wikipedia...

"Paul McCartney has frequently spoken of his affinity with the album, citing "God Only Knows" as his favorite song of all time, and crediting his melodic bass-playing style to the album.[258][259] He acknowledged that Pet Sounds was the primary impetus for the Beatles' 1967 album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Trying to think on any modern music that had the influence, but nothing comes close to the 60's/70's

Nirvana?

For Pet Sounds?

Dude, Panda Bear, Animal Collecitce, Daft Punk, Arctic Monkeys, Fleet Foxes, Grizzly Bear... basically any band that employs baroque/psychedelic pop. Brian Wilson is considered a God amongst his peers, 2/3 less his age.

If you’re asking about The Beatles (White Album), I
may have to unfollow you :) jk

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
oh no just 60's/70's rock in general., compared to now.
Got ya, dude! Yes, Nirvana.

Radiohead. My Bloody Valentine all changed music in the 90s. Lots of others in the 80s and before.

To answer your question, yes, Nirvana killed glam hair metal. The most influential artist (maybe tied with Radiohead) in the last 2 1/2 decades.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
"Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys.

Hugely influential in the music scene for years to come.

From Wikipedia...

"Paul McCartney has frequently spoken of his affinity with the album, citing "God Only Knows" as his favorite song of all time, and crediting his melodic bass-playing style to the album.[258][259] He acknowledged that Pet Sounds was the primary impetus for the Beatles' 1967 album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band."
It’s even more than that, Win. Bands today are still trying to capture Wilson’s sound. It’s insane. From Arcade Fire to LCD Soundsystem.

Still, bands like Tame Impala emulate Lennon.

The Beatles
is a masterpiece never ever replicated. In their wettest dreams, never touched.

Still, different than OP — most influential, Pet Sounds

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Sgt Peppers is an all time album, but it didn’t sway music the way Wilson’s masterpiece did.

And it isn’t the best Beatles album. It may be their most influential, as they graduated to Spector’s “wall of sound” but The Beatles is their GOAT AND THE GOAT album. I’d even put Revolver above Sgt Peppers (not in influence, mind you).

The achievement the Beatles met with Sgt Peppers is amazing. Never to be denied. And it threw everyone back then in puckered cheeksville for a loop and steered main stream music into a new direction

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I think the answer depends on who you ask. Anyway, since I was asked, here's my answer.:p

Ya,this is the ONE I was going to post up,,it's,no wonder I refer to her as 'girlfriend',,,o_O

* I think I'd bought the cassette tape of that album*

*edit*
on a musical side note, I'd love to hear that bluegrass style band "IRON HORSE" do a cover rendition of the "GAP BAND'S ,,,you dropped a bomb on me",,,:thumbup:

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
Sgt Peppers by the Beatles, I think, is probably the most important, with its impact on music as a whole.

I think that Dark Side of the Moon and Pet Sounds are both super important and influential too. Also London Calling by the Clash and Ziggy Stardust by Bowie. What’s Going On by Marvin Gaye is there too.

But if we’re talking quality, songwriting, concept, storytelling, experimentalism... my overall best album? An album that makes you go “holy ****?” And album that makes you feel like it’s more than just a piece of good music? Because best and most important are very different things.

My best are -

The Wall - Pink Floyd - 1979

Kid A - Radiohead - 2000

The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground - 1969

The White Album - The Beatles - 1968

Really, I couldn’t rank any of those albums over each other. They’re all tied for #1 for me.