Best American Rock Band

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
New Brunswick. She is French, smart, and a true smart ***. Couldn't care less about American football but don't get in her way when it comes to hockey. She even watches the classic NHL channel. She's a Leaf fan.

Our first was born in Bangor, Maine as we moved up there when her mom had a protracted illness. (we are RN's so jobs were easy to get) 3 hour drive from Bangor to her home if the border crossing went smooth. We go up yearly.

We spent quite a bit of time in Halifax, NS too (family). I go for the lobster and beer (my FIL is pretty cool too).

That's cool i'm from Saint John, tell her i said hello, eh. :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Eagles
Kiss
Aerosmith
Alice In Chains

Fleetwood Mac and Foreigner in the conversation as they were mixed.
Had AIC been more prolific while Layne Staley was alive, or had he lived longer, I definitely would have put them in my top 5.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
From Minto . Been here full time since 1998. She 1st moved to Texas though in 1994 (when we met).

I've been to Minto many times, it's nice to hear from someone back home, i live in Nevada now after many years in California.

All the best.

pete026

Reaction score

I gave this a like for the "American Band" thought but this was the band's transition to pop rock. The early stuff was much better.

GFR Trivia:
  1. Sold out Shea Stadium quicker than the Beatles.
  2. Played Madison Square Garden and ticket sales at the box office was so crazy one of the only ways to get out after getting tickets was being lifted overhead by the crowd waiting to get tickets.
  3. Band was lambasted by the media but made it based strictly on support of their fanbase.
  4. First 3 albums were released and went gold in about one year, again without media support.
  5. Their break out was the Atlanta Pop Festival where they stole the show. Mark Farner asked for quiet between songs while a women delivered a baby.
  6. I bought my first GFR album from my older brother when I was in 2nd grade.

Last edited:

pete026

Reaction score
If Fleetwood Mac is in with their British part, I would include CSNY also but I could see the argument that they aren't truly an American band.

pete026

Reaction score
Rock Band? As mentioned, defining "Rock Band" would be a chore on it's own.

Big Misses so far:
Elvis
Jimi
When you only have to use the first name, it's an automatic

Others:
Pearl Jam - Grunge
Heart - first female led hard rock band
Steve Miller Band
Chicago - love the brass
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Doobie Brothers
The Byrds
Janis Joplin
REM alternative rock??? But great anyway
Three Dog Night
Ted Nugent

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am appalled at myself for leaving ZZ Top out and if you want to watch a great doc, catch the one on Netflix. One thing will ring out loudly is that they really didn't get the credit all 3 deserve for being remarkable musicians. MTV, while an incredible boost to their popularity, portrayed them more as the first MTV video stars band. They were all 3 at the top with their respective instruments.

I've seen them a dozen times but the most memorable was the Tres Hombres tour at The Warehouse in New Orleans. Frank Beard became my favorite drummer that night as he did not stop for a full 45 minutes to start the show, they used him to transition from song to song and he was flawless and not in a mechanical way. Some people were just born to do something. I think he was keeping the beat in his Mom's womb.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Being a sellout or even synthesizing music like people hate Nickleback, and Iron Maiden's Seveth Son album, or even Creed / Greta Van Fleet because they sound like someone else.

That doesn't bother me one bit. I listen to music if it's good. If it's good, no matter how it's made or what they did / change. I doesn't bother me one bit. Metallica's Black album is a great album even if it doesn't sound like Master of Puppets or Ride the Lightning.

Lifes too short to stress bull****. Enjoy what's there to be enjoyed. Bleep drama
Uhh for it is more than small stuff with them for me. Yes, they cut their hair. Yes, they wear makeup. And yes, they tour with glorified boy bands. Yes Trujillo is the only plus musician. However, the real reason Metallica sucks is that they grew tired of metal and hungry for money. And I don't mean now at 50, I mean at 30.

Lars might be the least likable rock star there is. Most are self-indulgent scum but only Lars is self-indulgent scum pointing to his bank account as the decision maker in all things. It's all very anti-rock n roll. Dude is sipping lattes.. so very metal.

If someone made a parody of Metal now they would(and some have) base it almost entirely on Metallica.

Give me Pantera any day. RIP DBD.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Big Misses so far:
Elvis
Jimi

Others:
Pearl Jam - Grunge
Steve Miller Band
Chicago - love the brass
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Doobie Brothers
The Byrds
Janis Joplin
Three Dog Night
Ted Nugent
Interesting selection there with The Byrds, they got labelled erroneously as a Dylan cover band but if you follow the path of alternative rock, it leads from Roger McQuinn and that jangly guitar that infected so many musicians. He still gets the nod from the pioneers of alternative rock.

And as far as semantics, and I agree about artist v band, what constitutes rock? To me, it really didn't start until 1965 and the change brought about by Sgt. Pepper and the beginning of the move to the FM band that followed and the birth of the Album Oriented Rock format, now known as Classic Rock. I give the Beach Boys credit but they were actually part of rock & roll, which should have been called pop & roll.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Big Misses so far:
Elvis
Jimi

Others:
Pearl Jam - Grunge
Steve Miller Band
Chicago - love the brass
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Doobie Brothers
The Byrds
Janis Joplin
Three Dog Night
Ted Nugent
For it basically includes anyone that isn't a solo act that makes music generally defined as Rock.
So no Jimi tho he is amazing or Janis who has been in the long line of truly great Texas singer/songwriters.
Elvis was a solo act with various backing musicians so no dice.

But yup after you remove the solo artists it is wide open and fun to discuss yay or nay takes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Interesting selection there with The Byrds, they got labelled erroneously as a Dylan cover band but if you follow the path of alternative rock, it leads from Roger McQuinn and that jangly guitar that infected so many musicians. He still gets the nod from the pioneers of alternative rock.

And as far as semantics, and I agree about artist v band, what constitutes rock? To me, it really didn't start until 1965 and the change brought about by Sgt. Pepper and the beginning of the move to the FM band that followed and the birth of the Album Oriented Rock format, now known as Classic Rock. I give the Beach Boys credit but they were actually part of rock & roll, which should have been called pop & roll.
Do you know how many women I have made mad by declaring Journey isn't classic rock.
I am no longer allowed in Bed, Bath and Beyond. lol

pete026

Reaction score
For it basically includes anyone that isn't a solo act that makes music generally defined as Rock.
So no Jimi tho he is amazing or Janis who has been in the long line of truly great Texas singer/songwriters.
Elvis was a solo act with various backing musicians so no dice.

But yup after you remove the solo artists it is wide open and fun to discuss yay or nay takes.
I get what you are saying and to me, it's all about sharing music and stories. But Jimi Hendrix would never have been without bands behind him whether it was The Blue Flames, The Experience, The Band of Gypsys or some other musicians. I did think of using the Jimi Hendrix Experience in the list as that band is the most well known of his.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Uhh for it is more than small stuff with them for me. Yes, they cut their hair. Yes, they wear makeup. And yes, they tour with glorified boy bands. Yes Trujillo is the only plus musician. However, the real reason Metallica sucks is that they grew tired of metal and hungry for money. And I don't mean now at 50, I mean at 30.

Lars might be the least likable rock star there is. Most are self-indulgent scum but only Lars is self-indulgent scum pointing to his bank account as the decision maker in all things. It's all very anti-rock n roll. Dude is sipping lattes.. so very metal.

If someone made a parody of Metal now they would(and some have) base it almost entirely on Metallica.

Give me Pantera any day. RIP DBD.
I agree, I can't stand Lars.

As for the rest. If the music is good, I don't care.

I cut my hair too. I had to get a job and long hair limited my possibilities. Yes, I cut my hair for money. Doesn't bother me one bit. I'm still as metal as anyone else walking the face of this Earth. The difference is, I've made a much better living than a lot of people who have long hair and tattoo on their face and neck. Sure, I can get jobs with them, but can't get the best paying jobs in IT like that.

My family >>>>>>>> having long hair and tattoos everywhere.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I liked Journey best when both Steve Perry and Greg Rolie were in the band. They started with Greg Rolie and no Steve Perry, and Rolie was the lead singer. Then Perry came along and was exactly the right lead singer to change their sound. They were amazing with Perry on lead vocals but with Rolie's soothing, soulful voice backing him up, and also Rolie helping with the songwriting. IMO when they lost Rolie and he was replaced with Jonathan Cain, they lost a step. They actually got more popular and had huge hits with Cain, but IMO they weren't as good. I liked them okay at that point, but I didn't love them like I had before.