Best Decade of Movies

SlammedZero

Reaction score
To try to stay fair to all the decades without tethering yourself to nostalgia is tough. With that said, I think I have to go with the 90's.

"The first CGI generation, the Disney renaissance, Post-Modernism, blockbuster 2.0"

Great 90's Titles Examples

Matrix
The Lion King
The Rock
Toy Story
Forrest Gump
Home Alone
Jurassic Park
Fight Club
Titanic
The Shawshank Redemption
Dumb and Dumber
Men in Black
Braveheart
Wayne's World
Bad Boys

My runner up was the 80's.
"Birth of the action film, John Hughes and teen movies rule supreme, comedy and capitalism"

Hollywood technology the last 10/15 years has been amazing but it has been saturated with nothing but Marvel and DC. I'm a bit burnt out on comic book movies.

What do you guys think?

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I agree, esp with incorporation of the CGI stuff with movies like Jurassic Park and the Matrix, it really took it to another level of visual fantasy. We all have faves for nostalgic reasons as you pointed out but I still remember Jurassic Park and Matrix being groundbreaking even after all these Marvel movies recently one upping each other. They're visually great (Marvel), but nothing that made butt cheeks clinch like that T Rex poking his eye into that truck or the Raptors in the kitchen.
b41e7dbca3a99dedfd160dbeb1d4e98e.gif

Man, I hated this girl during that movie, I know she was playing a role, but COME ON :)

Last edited:

BillyBates

Reaction score
wow, I'm not sure I could pick a decade out. I really don't care for the comic book movies ether.
Casablanca (1941)
Citizen Kane (1941)
The Night of Hunter (1955)
Rio Bravo (1959)
2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Apocalypse now (1979)
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is a great conversation topic for movie lovers. Every decade has been graced with fantastic films. My vote goes to the 1970s with releases like:

Jaws
Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope
Rocky
The Godfather I and 2
Patton
The Exorcist
Alien
Saturday Night Fever
Halloween
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
One Who Flew Over The Cookoos Nest
Network
All The President’s Men
Superman: The Movie
Blazing Saddles
Taxi Driver

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This is a great conversation topic for movie lovers. Every decade has been graced with fantastic films. My vote goes to the 1970s with releases like:

Jaws
Rocky
The Godfather I and 2
Patton
The Exorcist
Alien
Saturday Night Fever
Halloween
Network
All The President’s Men
Blazing Saddles
Taxi Driver

It's the 70s and it's not close. I agree DE.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
I know some will say Big or Coming to America but my all-time favorite from 1988 is Die Hard. And for me, no other film was close that year. :p
Both the 70's and 80's really got great movies.
It is amazing that 1977 and 1988 got some outstanding movies.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The 80's by far but the late 70's and 90's were good also. Each decade builds the next one though but I think we saw the birth of what was possible in the 80's, mainly referring to action and teen movies.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Jaws
Rocky
The Godfather I and 2

Patton
The Exorcist
Alien

Saturday Night Fever
Halloween

Network
All The President’s Men
Blazing Saddles
Taxi Driver
Wow, I somewhat take it back but I'm still a 90s boy:p. I didn't realize all the highlighted movies came out in the 70s. I saw them after the fact, but that list is a hard one to conquer, cgi or not. I would say those movies have much more substance outside of the Shawshank, Forrest Gump, etc. A Clockwork Orange came out in '71 too and that movie was groundbreaking as well; we watched it in college criminology class.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
The 70's without question.

It was the decade of the director. Never in the history of cinema did directors have more control over their films than during that time period and it led to some brilliant film making.

Easy Rider's (1969) incredible box office success astonished the studios and led to never before seen freedom given to directors no matter their experience. A tremendous decade of motion pictures ensued.

Unfortunately it would all end suddenly and rapidly when Michael Cimino tried to follow his incredible the Deer Hunter with Heaven's Gate (1980), budget overruns due to lengthy retakes and obscene shooting costs allowed the money men to once again seize control.

It was control they would never relinquish, few are the films and directors since that had the creative freedom of their 1970s counterparts.

Just an awesome decade of movies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The 80's by far but the late 70's and 90's were good also. Each decade builds the next one though but I think we saw the birth of what was possible in the 80's, mainly referring to action and teen movies.

I can't really say that I agree with this. Movies today are mostly effects, very little quality writing. In the 70s, it was about actual acting and writing. That's just my opinion.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I can't really say that I agree with this. Movies today are mostly effects, very little quality writing. In the 70s, it was about actual acting and writing. That's just my opinion.

I never said anything about todays movies. They are mostly regurgitated nonsense but with stunning visual effects.

I meant the 70's led to the 80's(the bloom) which led to the 90's. Even the early 2000's were decent but went downhill fast.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I never said anything about todays movies. They are mostly regurgitated nonsense but with stunning visual effects.

I meant the 70's led to the 80's(the bloom) which led to the 90's. Even the early 2000's were decent but went downhill fast.

I think it changed after the 80s. Special effects started to become the star of the movie industry and writing and actual acting became less important. That's why you see all these actors as top draws in the industry and they can't act a lick.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it changed after the 80s. Special effects started to become the star of the movie industry and writing and actual acting became less important. That's why you see all these actors as top draws in the industry and they can't act a lick.

True but we are discussing two different things. I don't mean the technological advances but the ideas/genres became solidified in the 80's. Action and teen movies really stepped it up and became a staple in the movie industry.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
True but we are discussing two different things. I don't mean the technological advances but the ideas/genres became solidified in the 80's. Action and teen movies really stepped it up and became a staple in the movie industry.

Perhaps we are. I'm saying that I believe the best decade of movie making was the 70s and I don't think it's close. I'm not talking about box office draw or biggest grossing films etc. I'm just talking about the best movies. Of course, it's subjective but to me, it's seriously not close.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Perhaps we are. I'm saying that I believe the best decade of movie making was the 70s and I don't think it's close. I'm not talking about box office draw or biggest grossing films etc. I'm just talking about the best movies. Of course, it's subjective but to me, it's seriously not close.

You are older than me, so naturally the 70's are better to you :grin:

That was a great decade from Alien, the Godfather, Star Wars, Rocky, Jaws, Deliverance, Exorcist, Close Encounters to Every Which way but Loose.

I just happen to think that decade led to the explosion in the 80's :flagwave: