Best HC since JJ and we don't appreciate him

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
MM is the best HC we've had since JJ and that's including Parcels that was just collecting a paycheck......I don't get the hate! All coaches make bad calls from time to time. But he has our team ready to play every week. I appreciate MM and think he is doing a great job.
Good job. Not great job.
If he could manage the game better
I would agree wit ya.

glimmerman

Reaction score
maxie, I was feeling that way but the fact is this team really hasn't changed, they will ride the offense as far as that can take them because the D really isn't that good, it is that opportunistic and what happens when it's not. It's not like McC hasn't seen that before in GB.

There is no HC in the NFL more all in on his offense than McC and he has the #1 O, #2 run and #5 pass and scoring at 34 ppg.

This is a team that must take the risks because that D is still in rebuild mode and McC knows he has the owner the most amenable to that in the league. Booger loves risk because Booger loves reward and so far he's seeing his team rewarded with not only a 5-1 record but the highest confidence level of any offense in the league.

I also think part of the problem between McC and his former QB in GB was his reluctance to take the risks and I think that worked on him while he was on the beach that season.

The Dallas Cowboys are the best team to apply analytics to in the league and that was not the last time you will see him go for it on 4th and short on his own side of the 50 and true to form, he will get hammered if they don't make it and not enough credit if they do.

I love the risk taking because I am not watching them to see them win, I am watching them to see them play and that's edge of the seat stuff right there.

I could not help but flash back to Barry Switzer's infamous run Emmitt twice on the same play go for it and he caught hell for that. But what if they'd made it? I also wonder what the analytics would say the likelihood a team runs the same play on 4th down right after it fails?
This Defense is creating turn overs. They are a big play Defense that gives up some yards here and there. I think the pats did what I was waiting on. The ran on us more than other teams did. He kept on the running game while shutting ours down.

But we had so many plays during that game we should have score 50 points. We still have things to work on but hopeful they get better as the season goes on. We make the playoffs and those teams will be able to do what the pats did. Or close to it. I don’t think they did much different than what teams have done or tried to in the past years. Put the game on Daks arm.

nobody

Reaction score
He's done a fantastic job of turning the culture around and I love his not being afraid to go for it. It's just sometimes his clock management is inexplicably bad for how many years he's got as a HC. It's almost like they're doing clock management by committee and the vote gets weird sometimes.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Clearly, I'm personally not a fan of McCarthy. Yeah, he's better than Garrett, but so what? Garrett is a bum too.

Moore controls the offense. Quinn controls the defense. The one thing that we know for sure that McCarthy has full control over is time management, and as you can see from that article I shared, it's something that he has always been horrible at.
5-1 is pirdy good time management

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Strongly agree McCarthy is not appreciated but strongly disagree he is the best coach since JJ. In some ways, I think Parcells was even better than JJ. Both of them in their prime with their best coordinators and no one having an advantage at college scouting, I'd be tempted to pick the Tuna over Jimmy. That 2003 10-6 season is the best coaching job in Dallas since the Landry days. Going to the Playoffs with a team used to losing with 3 consecutive 5-11 seasons, two years of no first round picks, and limited depth everywhere including the triplets of Quincy, Hambrick and AB.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Can people please quit calling other Cowboy fans haters just because they may see things different. Their is nothing wrong with healthy debate.

The areas of great improvement under MM is that this team has depth up and down the lineup, they make great 1/2 time adjustments, they are mentally tougher and Dak is now a legit top 5 QB. So that’s all good.

The areas that need addressing are penalties and mistakes in game management from MM.

Barring injury I think the O we see now will be the O we see in December but hopefully the penalties will get cleaned up.

I think the D will be better in December than they are now…they have to get better. You can’t rely on turnovers to save your bacon…

Go Cowboys.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Around here when we lose it's the coaches fault and when we win it's despite the coach.

You have to realize most of these people don't know the role of a head coach. They just think they stand on the sideline and try to find the clock. They don't realize he has to create the practice schedule, the drills, the training, meetings, etc. You will never convince these people because they go by talking points. Everyone repeats what they heard on tv or someone else.
Bravo. People don’t know what the hell they’re talking about.

Good post.

Last edited:

tunahelper

Reaction score
MM is the best HC we've had since JJ and that's including Parcels that was just collecting a paycheck......I don't get the hate! All coaches make bad calls from time to time. But he has our team ready to play every week. I appreciate MM and think he is doing a great job.

Parcells won 10 games with Quincy Carter and Hamrick starting. MM could not win 5 games with those guys. Parcells left a loaded roster and franchise QB.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Parcells won 10 games with Quincy Carter and Hamrick starting. MM could not win 5 games with those guys. Parcells left a loaded roster and franchise QB.
Lol!! Quincy was a pretty good QB before his drug and alcohol issues.. BP was just collecting a paycheck, I lost ALL respect for him when he let Antonio Bryant throw a towel in his face.....

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a good coach.

I recently watched an interview with Lamb and asked why the team was able to perform under those circumstances. He said is that they prepared for those plays. So each game that we played so far, we are well prepared and ready for any scenario.

#2. Dak Prescott. Dak Prescott is now an elite pocket passer and now the best passer in the NFL outside the pocket. This is all due to McCarthy emphasizing that all their QBs are able to scramble outside the pocket and make plays. Dak was never this good outside the pocket. All he did was take off and run. This version of Dak is the new and improved Dak thanks to McCarthy.

#3. He's letting his coordinators do what they do best. He doesn't get in the way of Kellen Moore or Dan Quinn's job. This is one reason why I think he is better than Parcells. Parcells in the playoffs against Seattle all he did was pay conservative and kept running the ball. He always plays conservative and never wanted to air it out. He even said to Sean to scale down his playcalling....

#4. Jerry and Stephen really likes him and trust him. Heck, he even said he lied during the interviews that he watched every NFL game and both Jerry and Stephen chuckled. Jerry/Stephen look at Garrett as if he was nothing more than a coach in training.

#5. McCarthy is not a robot. He really knows his football. He has set the tone for this team and laid out a culture that the players are comfortable with. I listened to a few of his interviews and they talk about football and every aspect of the team.

#6. He brings the results. His the head coach of the Cowboys. We are winning. Everyone in the media are saying that this is an entirely different Cowboys team. And it almost happened overnight. Surely, McCarthy deserves credit for that.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Lol!! Quincy was a pretty good QB before his drug and alcohol issues.. BP was just collecting a paycheck, I lost ALL respect for him when he let Antonio Bryant throw a towel in his face.....
I used to have an awesome fan-made highlights video of Quincy Carter throwing bombs. The guy had a cannon arm on him. He definitely had some talent, just didn't have the head.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Well there's no team in the league at 6-0 so your stuck with the Cowboys. Obviously sucks for you.
The Cardinals are 6-0.

Embarrassed again by your own inability to research before you hit "post reply", sucks for you, as usual, huh?