best john wayne movie

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Chief said:
OK, here's one of my all-time favorite bits of trivia.

I happen to be a Buddy Holly fan, as well as a John Wayne fan. In one of Holly's biographies, it was reported that Buddy was a huge John Wayne fan. After Buddy and some of his friends went to see The Searchers, they spent the rest of the day mimicking Ethan Edwards' famous line in the film, "That'll be the day."

Buddy decided to write a song with that John Wayne line as the title and the rest is history.

That's a great story Chief.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm a little young to have proper respect for The Duke, and westerns are not something I am naturally pulled to.....

....but I love True Grit and The Cowboys. Those two are greatness. The Drunk Duke in True Grit is greatness, and the Cook is terrific in the Cowboys (not to mention Bruce Dern, who is REALLY scary....)

I am also a fan of the Hellfighters.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Tell us some more stories of the good old days grampa Chief ;)

I'll tell ya, that Ava Gardner was hot.

Actually, I'm not the grandpa in this thread. ;)

I think his initials are cbz.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chief said:
OK, here's one of my all-time favorite bits of trivia.

I happen to be a Buddy Holly fan, as well as a John Wayne fan. In one of Holly's biographies, it was reported that Buddy was a huge John Wayne fan. After Buddy and some of his friends went to see The Searchers, they spent the rest of the day mimicking Ethan Edwards' famous line in the film, "That'll be the day."

Buddy decided to write a song with that John Wayne line as the title and the rest is history.
I'm not a big John Wayne fan but I do know that Buddy Holly story.
You can't pass through Lubbock and not know Buddy Holly lore.

Quite a good song, btw.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Chief said:
I'll tell ya, that Ava Gardner was hot.

Actually, I'm not the grandpa in this thread. ;)

I think his initials are cbz.
He's the great great great grandpa :D