Best NFL Head Coaches: Where does McCarthy rank?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
My main focuses with McCarthy is how he is depending upon once boss, Mike Nolan as DC.

As much flash,splash and dash money is constantly going into this offense and very sparingly on defense
its' going to continue to be the Defense that highly likely decides whether we advance down the stretch
and how our season continues in playoffs ...or ends in the playoff.

And if the going gets rough on the defensive side after two seasons,(barring mass wipe out injuries)
then he has to be quick about making changes and not letting it be too personal and sentimental..
That's what happen with him by holding on to wash up DC Dom Capers and sustaining some of the worse
defenses down the road.
i do not want to see that finesse style defense that McCarthy had for latter part of his defense before his demising firing.

- Also how MM implements manages both zeke and pollard into the offense- as both runners and receivers.
and it's gonna have to start with him, ..not Kellen Moore, imo.

As a game manager and decision maker, a gutsy go for it aggressor, an in -game adjuster (something Garrett was most horrible at) a QB guru and X's and O's designer and a leader of men, i'm that confident and optimistic about McCarthy.

-It's a fair argument that MM held onto Capers way too long, will he do the same with Mike Nolan? We have to see that play out. What we do know is, everything we are hearing isn't a finesse what so ever. They are going to be aggressive going after the QB and on the outside with press coverage. This may lead to more big plays given up, but more impact plays and turnovers. Let's see what Nolan can do with pretty much the same group Marinelli had, outside of Bryon Jones/Robert Quinn.

-MM has ran and be apart of running the wco offense for the majority of his career. Every coach has their own versions, but we know runners are apart of the passing game within this offense. We have heard the expression, in regards to the wco, the passing game is the extension to the running game.Deuce McAllister is a good example, his best season in which MM was the OC caught 70 passes and ran for over 1,600 yards, that's the type of season Zeke is certainly capable if given the opportunities. How will he use Pollard? I would like to see him be on the field with Zeke at times.

-As a game manager he is superior to a Jason Garrett. The problem that has plaqued the Cowboys for years is their inability to win enough close ball games, better in game coaching will certainly help.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
-It's a fair argument that MM held onto Capers way too long, will he do the same with Mike Nolan? We have to see that play out. What we do know is, everything we are hearing isn't a finesse what so ever. They are going to be aggressive going after the QB and on the outside with press coverage. This may lead to more big plays given up, but more impact plays and turnovers. Let's see what Nolan can do with pretty much the same group Marinelli had, outside of Bryon Jones/Robert Quinn.

-MM has ran and be apart of running the wco offense for the majority of his career. Every coach has their own versions, but we know runners are apart of the passing game within this offense. We have heard the expression, in regards to the wco, the passing game is the extension to the running game.Deuce McAllister is a good example, his best season in which MM was the OC caught 70 passes and ran for over 1,600 yards, that's the type of season Zeke is certainly capable if given the opportunities. How will he use Pollard? I would like to see him be on the field with Zeke at times.

-As a game manager he is superior to a Jason Garrett. The problem that has plaqued the Cowboys for years is their inability to win enough close ball games, better in game coaching will certainly help.
Good points.

I hinted in my post about Zeke being able to take advantage of the spread defense and opening running lanes with our OL not having to deal with 8 man fronts.

These are very beneficial possibilities for us with these changes.

I guess I wonder if there is enough time to install these factors. Some of this will have to take place in games.

Which may be herky jerky at times.

So my post is not just about whether or not we are the Tavens and Dak being Jackson

That was just a starting point for the discussion.

We got notohing but time right now. The topics about who is the most under rated teams of he last 20 years?

Whew..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Good points.

I hinted in my post about Zeke being able to take advantage of the spread defense and opening running lanes with our OL not having to deal with 8 man fronts.

These are very beneficial possibilities for us with these changes.

I guess I wonder if there is enough time to install these factors. Some of this will have to take place in games.

Which may be herky jerky at times.

So my post is not just about whether or not we are the Tavens and Dak being Jackson

That was just a starting point for the discussion.

We got notohing but time right now. The topics about who is the most under rated teams of he last 20 years?

Whew..

A new offensive scheme is like a breath of fresh air. Let's see what MM/Moore put together and add modern wrinkles to it.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Based off his work as HC of Packers, where would you rank new Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy among
the better Head Coaches in the NFL ?
i can kinda see it like this:

1 Bill Belichek Pats

2 Andy Reid KC Chiefs

3 Sean Peyton Saints

4 Pete Carroll Seahawks

5 Mike Tomlinson Steelers

6 Jon Harbaugh Ravens

7 Mike McCarthy Cowboys ?

8 Doug Pederson Eagles

9 Kyle Shanahan Niners

10 Sean McVey Rams

Honorable Mention: Mike Zimmer, Vikings .....Mike Vrabel Tenn
I think Sean Payton is not as good as what he Once was. Bill Belichick without a doubt he knows how to change with the times

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Here's hoping McCarthy's year off pays off for him in a big way.

Let's hope that the time spent studying analytics fares him well.

I think being familiar with such a method helps any head coach.

Last edited:

quickccc

Reaction score

All respect due, i tend to hear the juicy promises of a DC or new defense all the time. i hear
" more aggressive, more blitzing, more turnovers, pressure defense... swarming group speed to the ball " , etc etc. blah blah. It's the good- juicy things sports fans/media hype want to hear.

- My first goal with getting rid of Marinelli is changing how we play defense- that starts up front and it starts with
being more physical and more powerful. Changing the way teams try to impose their will upon your front and how YOU impose your will upon challenging teams.
i want to us more powerful and stout at the point of attack vs run that we've become instead having
to Marinelli- slant our way to the run gaps.

- Going with a much bigger Dontario Poe was a big start- dunno what a 30+ age McCoy is gonna handle- wait and see, i'm confident with Dlaw, but the DRE and LBs new spots still have to be settled. We have to be able
consistently shut the run and make it longer 3rd distances.

- Also i keep hearing more bltizes from fans, but its not gonna be about how often we bltiz- but it's how we design/scheme the bltizes.- that was not a strong suit of Richard at all. We got stonewalled most times we
sent blitzers and if you don't get there at the QB, ..then that's more open vulnerable plays upfield that we're likely to give up.
We had the proper blitzing personnel to try to make it work with Jaylong, LVE, Lewis, Heath,

Some coaches are terrific at designing blitz packages - some other coaches are awful at it.
Guess where and which one Richard rates at ?

- If a starting RB is catching 70 balls with an offense like this that has such weaponry as Coop-Gallup.Lamb, as we have,i dont think that's not a good sign.

- As i said in a different post, it's not about amount of catches that is gonna matter with Rbs in the pass game but it's how they are gonna be scheme- designed. i pray i don't see a bunch of dump offs and safety valve catches.as we saw zeke in 2017. That's too much Kellen like use with our RBs.
o_O

quickccc

Reaction score
I think Sean Payton is not as good as what he Once was. Bill Belichick without a doubt he knows how to change with the times

i actually thought last year was among Payton's best work with his HOF starting QB out with injury.
he has his team prepared to work with backup QBs and every since he changed DCs with Dennis Allen
the Saints have been much more resisting on defense than in past years.- albeit they have to make defense
count as they've faltered twice to Vikes per playoffs.
and remember his design work with gimick QB Taysom Hill ?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
All respect due, i tend to hear the juicy promises of a DC or new defense all the time. i hear
" more aggressive, more blitzing, more turnovers, pressure defense... swarming group speed to the ball " , etc etc. blah blah. It's the good- juicy things sports fans/media hype want to hear.

- My first goal with getting rid of Marinelli is changing how we play defense- that starts up front and it starts with
being more physical and more powerful. Changing the way teams try to impose their will upon your front and how YOU impose your will upon challenging teams.
i want to us more powerful and stout at the point of attack vs run that we've become instead having
to Marinelli- slant our way to the run gaps.

- Going with a much bigger Dontario Poe was a big start- dunno what a 30+ age McCoy is gonna handle- wait and see, i'm confident with Dlaw, but the DRE and LBs new spots still have to be settled. We have to be able
consistently shut the run and make it longer 3rd distances.

- Also i keep hearing more bltizes from fans, but its not gonna be about how often we bltiz- but it's how we design/scheme the bltizes.- that was not a strong suit of Richard at all. We got stonewalled most times we
sent blitzers and if you don't get there at the QB, ..then that's more open vulnerable plays upfield that we're likely to give up.
We had the proper blitzing personnel to try to make it work with Jaylong, LVE, Lewis, Heath,

Some coaches are terrific at designing blitz packages - some other coaches are awful at it.
Guess where and which one Richard rates at ?

- If a starting RB is catching 70 balls with an offense like this that has such weaponry as Coop-Gallup.Lamb, as we have,i dont think that's not a good sign.

- As i said in a different post, it's not about amount of catches that is gonna matter with Rbs in the pass game but it's how they are gonna be scheme- designed. i pray i don't see a bunch of dump offs and safety valve catches.as we saw zeke in 2017. That's too much Kellen like use with our RBs.
o_O

-The Defense is going to be a work in progress. A lot of turnover, learning a new defense and evaluating which holdovers are long-term answers.

-Marinelli's scheme was very simplistic, conservative and focused more of keeping everyone in front of you in coverage. His idea was to force a team to drive the whole field and tighten up in the red zone.

-Nolan's scheme is more about the front 7, then it is about coverage on the back-end. He is going to disguise the pressure with various fronts, in which our rushers should hopefully receive favorable match-ups. What happens when they give up a few big plays? Does he go conservative? That's something we need to watch closely.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
i actually thought last year was among Payton's best work with his HOF starting QB out with injury.
he has his team prepared to work with backup QBs and every since he changed DCs with Dennis Allen
the Saints have been much more resisting on defense than in past years.- albeit they have to make defense
count as they've faltered twice to Vikes per playoffs.
and remember his design work with gimick QB Taysom Hill ?
I actually thought he made some really bad decisions in the playoffs.

Swagger

Reaction score
I’d take anyone in your top-12 over him with the possible exception of Tomlinson, who I’m not a huge fan of, but who’s comparable to McCarthy.
Tomlin proved his worth last season. The Steelers almost reached the play offs with a back up QB.

quickccc

Reaction score
-The Defense is going to be a work in progress. A lot of turnover, learning a new defense and evaluating which holdovers are long-term answers.

-Marinelli's scheme was very simplistic, conservative and focused more of keeping everyone in front of you in coverage. His idea was to force a team to drive the whole field and tighten up in the red zone.

-Nolan's scheme is more about the front 7, then it is about coverage on the back-end. He is going to disguise the pressure with various fronts, in which our rushers should hopefully receive favorable match-ups. What happens when they give up a few big plays? Does he go conservative? That's something we need to watch closely.

yeh oh wlll ... as i said before, everyone has a plan until they get a right hook in the mouth. It sounds good on paper with the various front looks and disguised coverages,etc. but the basics and bottom line is we have to flat out be able to out physical the other guy across the line from us..
If folks can move and gash us around vs run, the other fancy terms doesn't mean much of anything.

It starts upfront - and then Lets see if there is a movement switch with jaylon and he adapts (i really have questions about his long term here but that's just me) and how LVE adapts to the middle mike, which i really like the sound of that move - and ireally think he will eventually become THE new leader of the defense if he returns to his rookie form. imo.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
yeh oh wlll ... as i said before, everyone has a plan until they get a right hook in the mouth. It sounds good on paper with the various front looks and disguised coverages,etc. but the basics and bottom line is we have to flat out be able to out physical the other guy across the line from us..
If folks can move and gash us around vs run, the other fancy terms doesn't mean much of anything.

It starts upfront - and then Lets see if there is a movement switch with jaylon and he adapts (i really have questions about his long term here but that's just me) and how LVE adapts to the middle mike, which i really like the sound of that move - and ireally think he will eventually become THE new leader of the defense if he returns to his rookie form. imo.

-They have added legit size and strength this off-season, more then they have done in such a long time. Poe, even Aldon Smith. They should help stopping the run.

-Our linebackers if clean most of the time, could be excellent, Jaylon can just attack, where Lve could use his high level instincts to make impact plays.

-Marinelli wanted to generate a pass rush with just the front 4, Nolan is going to employ 5 rushers, just do not know which ones. He was the creator of that amebia defense that confuse the hell out of Peyton Manning. His defense is going to force the opposing QB to get the football out more quickly. My biggest worry is our tackling on the back-end, this could lead to big plays.

-Believe the success of the defensive unit will be determined how the secondary preforms. If they struggle, forget about all those pressure packages.

Starrlord

Reaction score
I was really just defending my position against the poster that
seemed to think Payton wasn't nearly as good as McCarthy.

As I've stated several times, I like them both. Most fans would've
loved to see Payton come to Dallas a couple years ago.
Which made no sense. Your post just baselessly assumes that somehow Payton is more impressive of a QB guru then McCarthy.

"Now just think if Payton coached Rodgers"

Starrlord

Reaction score
The OP's list makes almost no sense. Why would Payton possibly be above McCarthy? Their parralel tenures with their HOF QBs clearly favor McCarthy.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
this is simple, we will find out this year lol.
I am not going to judge MM based on what he did with GB, this is a different team and owner and organization.
And he had a year off to reflect on how he might do better, so this coming season and the next will tell us how good he is.