Best NFL Head Coaches: Where does McCarthy rank?

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Based off his work as HC of Packers, where would you rank new Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy among
the better Head Coaches in the NFL ?
i can kinda see it like this:

1 Bill Belichek Pats

2 Andy Reid KC Chiefs

3 Sean Peyton Saints

4 Pete Carroll Seahawks

5 Mike Tomlinson Steelers

6 Jon Harbaugh Ravens

7 Mike McCarthy Cowboys ?

8 Doug Pederson Eagles

9 Kyle Shanahan Niners

10 Sean McVey Rams

Honorable Mention: Mike Zimmer, Vikings .....Mike Vrabel Tenn
No way Tomlin is better than Harbaugh. McCarthy is top 6.

quickccc

Reaction score
-They have added legit size and strength this off-season, more then they have done in such a long time. Poe, even Aldon Smith. They should help stopping the run.

-Our linebackers if clean most of the time, could be excellent, Jaylon can just attack, where Lve could use his high level instincts to make impact plays.

-Marinelli wanted to generate a pass rush with just the front 4, Nolan is going to employ 5 rushers, just do not know which ones. He was the creator of that amebia defense that confuse the hell out of Peyton Manning. His defense is going to force the opposing QB to get the football out more quickly. My biggest worry is our tackling on the back-end, this could lead to big plays.

-Believe the success of the defensive unit will be determined how the secondary preforms. If they struggle, forget about all those pressure packages.

only thing with Alden is with so much time off missed in years, we're likely to get him as a rotational player (ironically which what his current DL coach had him do as a rookie) and we dunno yet how he will play with extra bulk he''s added. But i'll certainly take my chances with his experience and past resume vs the likes of Kerry Hyder and really even Crawford who is ill-fit as a starting DE.

Truth told i don't have a problem with just generating rush with a " really good" front four, and if you have
talented enough LBs can become extra DBs, if they are well schemed liked.

the "conservative " Marinelli actually had a top turnover creating defense when he was DC with Chicago Bears and he had a whale of play makers that we simply did not have here.
he had Bears DBs were flat ball hawks - something we long very sorely lacked here, even when we
had Byron Jones at CB.

And i'll always be the advocate for the 4-3 scheme although the Tampa 2 would not be my version as
as it's conservative in that they rather have their LBs stay in coverage vs being occasional blitzers (only red zone) ..and.that took away Brian Urlacher's best and most fearful trait, imo.

i believe the success of the defense will start up front first with the DL, then the LBs and finally the back end.
The Eagles 4-3 had a formidable enough front seven to make up for an average secondary to win a Super Bowl. You couldn't make a living on them vs run, they had a viable pass rush and they forced turnovers .

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based off his work as HC of Packers, where would you rank new Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy among

1 Bill Belichek Pats

2 Andy Reid KC Chiefs

3 Sean Peyton Saints

4 Pete Carroll Seahawks

6 Jon Harbaugh Ravens

8 Doug Pederson Eagles

9 Kyle Shanahan Niners

10 Sean McVey Rams

2.Mike Tomlinson Steelers

Cowboyny

Reaction score
only thing with Alden is with so much time off missed in years, we're likely to get him as a rotational player (ironically which what his current DL coach had him do as a rookie) and we dunno yet how he will play with extra bulk he''s added. But i'll certainly take my chances with his experience and past resume vs the likes of Kerry Hyder and really even Crawford who is ill-fit as a starting DE.

Truth told i don't have a problem with just generating rush with a " really good" front four, and if you have
talented enough LBs can become extra DBs, if they are well schemed liked.

the "conservative " Marinelli actually had a top turnover creating defense when he was DC with Chicago Bears and he had a whale of play makers that we simply did not have here.
he had Bears DBs were flat ball hawks - something we long very sorely lacked here, even when we
had Byron Jones at CB.

And i'll always be the advocate for the 4-3 scheme although the Tampa 2 would not be my version as
as it's conservative in that they rather have their LBs stay in coverage vs being occasional blitzers (only red zone) ..and.that took away Brian Urlacher's best and most fearful trait, imo.

i believe the success of the defense will start up front first with the DL, then the LBs and finally the back end.
The Eagles 4-3 had a formidable enough front seven to make up for an average secondary to win a Super Bowl. You couldn't make a living on them vs run, they had a viable pass rush and they forced turnovers .

-Excellent point about Philly's secondary, the Giants also won with a suspect back-end as their front was elite.
-Do we have enough high-end pass rushers to generate a consistent rush while rushing 4? I don't think we do.
-The defense lacks play makers, they need a few more to make this defense into championship level. Let's hope Lve, Diggs develop into that.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The OP's list makes almost no sense. Why would Payton possibly be above McCarthy? Their parralel tenures with their HOF QBs clearly favor McCarthy.
I agree but opinions are just that. Sometimes we just think they’re silly

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Here's hoping McCarthy's year off pays off for him in a big way.

Let's hope that the time spent studying analytics fares him well.

I think being familiar with such a method helps any head coach.
Yeah..

Changes were always part of the results in GB.

Rodgers is so very different from other QBs.

He and Big Mike just hit a dead end with others catching up to GB losing a lot of talent off their roster.

There is only so far to go when that happens. Success always is that double edged sword.

Winning like the Pats have for 10 years? Probably not see that again for another decade.

So to me, we are painted into a corner where we are now trying to win at least one SB with Dak. The roster had it's chances the last 4 years already to win with young talent in Dak, Zeke and Amari, the OL and Garrett.

Failed big-time.

Now we scrapped everything for one last shot.

Tough break but it's what it is.

:grin:

quickccc

Reaction score
-Excellent point about Philly's secondary, the Giants also won with a suspect back-end as their front was elite.
-Do we have enough high-end pass rushers to generate a consistent rush while rushing 4? I don't think we do.
-The defense lacks play makers, they need a few more to make this defense into championship level. Let's hope Lve, Diggs develop into that.

the eagles had safety malcolm jenkins but i can't think of anyone else reputable in their secondary.
Giants secondary at that time had an old Sam Madison and rookie Aaron Ross.

the irony of the two teams ? Both were NFC East teams that beat the Dynasty led NE Pats for Super Bowls.

- secondary:
But there's still some uncertainties on defense for me to truly excited as i dunno who the startign CBs will be
with talk of Awuzie moving to safety (i for one think hes' a better coverage CB than Brown)
and i already have concerns about tackling of our safeties Ha Ha and Woods, and that starting duo is
not an area of strength.

- LBs:
i have no no doubt LVA can adapt quickly to MLB, and his great combination of instincts, length and mobility
will do wonders for our pass defense, if Lee is 2019 durable Lee who has lost little range at his age, i'll take that
(though i'd still part time his reps) and Jaylon will have to schemed well, blitz-designed off edge/stunts, play run well, and limited his coverage keys and responsibilities .and then there's the depth next to worry about with just injury prone joe thomas, scrub March Lillard and very unknown rookie in Gifford.. Could we see a future serviceable experienced vet LB added late ?

- and of course the DL unit, with added vets McCoy and Poe (346 lbs) is a start to a new look and approach
to the line attack/defend. Both guys played in Carolina Panthers 3--4 scheme and did not produce/struggled vs run
But in a base 4-3 scheme with a one gap look, they hopefully will do much better.
i expect a healthier much more productive DLaw, ..and don't be surprised to see him in
some "Greg Ellis" stand-up 3-4 OLB looks. (per his Wade Phillips dayz). - -on occasion change up in the multiple front looks.

The bigger issues will be proving we can stuff the very well first and then greatly being able to apply rush for sacks/pressures consistently - the RDE role and depth needs to be solved and settled. (and i do not care for Crawford as a starting DE) and we'll have to see how Gregory, Alden shows in hopes in being a big factor early on.

BigD_95

Reaction score

1 Bill Belichek Pats

2 Andy Reid KC Chiefs

3 Sean Peyton Saints

4 Pete Carroll Seahawks

6 Jon Harbaugh Ravens

8 Doug Pederson Eagles

9 Kyle Shanahan Niners

10 Sean McVey Rams

After he wins the Super Bowl this year he will be 1 or 2

Reaction score
I guess people are forgetting how awful he was his last two years. 11 and 16 before getting ran before the end of the 2018 season. 5 and 6 in the playoffs since the 2011 Super Bowl win.

He's leaps and bounds better than Garrett but this top 10 talk is silly.
Agreed. He's in the 10-15 range for me for now. We will know a lot more after the season. At least he's an enormous upgrade over what we had.

Reaction score
But why would you assume that Payton is any better of a QB guru then McCarthy? McCarthy is the one who completely overhauled and changed his guys mechanics, in addition to Brees being good before ever meeting Payton.

I dont see why they would be even when McCarthy's tenure with Rodgers is simply better then Payton/Brees over that same span of time. *shrugs*
There is a lot of pressure on Sean Payton this year IMO. This is Bree's last year. And despite all the success and all the passing records, they only have one Super Bowl to show for it all. Need to win another to cement legacy, IMO. After this year Peyton will have to start over with Winston, Hill or whoever. That won't be easy.

quickccc

Reaction score
There is a lot of pressure on Sean Payton this year IMO. This is Bree's last year. And despite all the success and all the passing records, they only have one Super Bowl to show for it all. Need to win another to cement legacy, IMO. After this year Peyton will have to start over with Winston, Hill or whoever. That won't be easy.

so does Reid,...so does Tomlin .... so does McCarthy .... so does Carroll .....

More so , you even have HOF- QBs that retired without any SB rings, ... or even a SB appearance to show for it -despite their legendary passing records (ala Fouts, Marino)

It's just that so very hard to win Super Bowls.

That's why you really have to make it count when you do manage to advance into playoffs and to the title game.

Look at us Cowboys (America's Team) over 20 years -two decades since we've even had a SB appearance/win..

Cowboyny

Reaction score
the eagles had safety malcolm jenkins but i can't think of anyone else reputable in their secondary.
Giants secondary at that time had an old Sam Madison and rookie Aaron Ross.

the irony of the two teams ? Both were NFC East teams that beat the Dynasty led NE Pats for Super Bowls.

- secondary:
But there's still some uncertainties on defense for me to truly excited as i dunno who the startign CBs will be
with talk of Awuzie moving to safety (i for one think hes' a better coverage CB than Brown)
and i already have concerns about tackling of our safeties Ha Ha and Woods, and that starting duo is
not an area of strength.

- LBs:
i have no no doubt LVA can adapt quickly to MLB, and his great combination of instincts, length and mobility
will do wonders for our pass defense, if Lee is 2019 durable Lee who has lost little range at his age, i'll take that
(though i'd still part time his reps) and Jaylon will have to schemed well, blitz-designed off edge/stunts, play run well, and limited his coverage keys and responsibilities .and then there's the depth next to worry about with just injury prone joe thomas, scrub March Lillard and very unknown rookie in Gifford.. Could we see a future serviceable experienced vet LB added late ?

- and of course the DL unit, with added vets McCoy and Poe (346 lbs) is a start to a new look and approach
to the line attack/defend. Both guys played in Carolina Panthers 3--4 scheme and did not produce/struggled vs run
But in a base 4-3 scheme with a one gap look, they hopefully will do much better.
i expect a healthier much more productive DLaw, ..and don't be surprised to see him in
some "Greg Ellis" stand-up 3-4 OLB looks. (per his Wade Phillips dayz). - -on occasion change up in the multiple front looks.

The bigger issues will be proving we can stuff the very well first and then greatly being able to apply rush for sacks/pressures consistently - the RDE role and depth needs to be solved and settled. (and i do not care for Crawford as a starting DE) and we'll have to see how Gregory, Alden shows in hopes in being a big factor early on.

-If I remember that Giants secondary was hit hard with injury and they were playing mostly backups in that run.

-Reading the tea leaves throughout the off-season, Awuzie is going to be the team's starting outside CB, but he will be playing as a safety in the nickel. This would alleviate some tackling concerns at the safety position, as that is one of Awuzie's biggest strengths.

-I'm expecting a big turnaround season for the starting linebackers as they both really struggled last season. New Orleans linebackers raved about Nolan as their positional coach. If Lve returns to fully health and stays relatively healthy, he could be a legitimate star. The staff has to come up with a plan to have Jaylon play more to his strengths of tremendous speed and burst. He isn't the most instinctive player, who he can still be effective if used right.

-I have heard many and even McCoy state he played too heavy last season. He reportedly has gotten his body back to his prior weight. It is a little worrisome how both McCoy/Poe preformed in Carolina against the run, but they both have an successful track record. You are right, if the Cowboys cannot win first down, forget about all those pressure packages. I do believe McCoy will be a better starter then Collins and the combination of Poe/Woods should be very formidable against the run. I do worry about the pass rush, don't think we have enough quality pass rushers. To expect both Aldon/Gregory to light the league on fire is too opportunistic to think after both missed so much time. I do believe DLaw is going to have a great season, perhaps a career one.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
McCarthy was considered one of the best HCs in the league until his final two years. His teams are consistently in the playoffs almost every single year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
His winning % among active head coaches would rank 6th.
I think that is a very fair ballpark for him today.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I guess people are forgetting how awful he was his last two years. 11 and 16 before getting ran before the end of the 2018 season. 5 and 6 in the playoffs since the 2011 Super Bowl win.

He's leaps and bounds better than Garrett but this top 10 talk is silly.
The last two seasons were bad.
That's fair.

Knocking 5-6 in the playoffs however is not fair. .455 in the playoffs is pretty good and that's of course AFTER he won a SB.

quickccc

Reaction score
-If I remember that Giants secondary was hit hard with injury and they were playing mostly backups in that run.

-Reading the tea leaves throughout the off-season, Awuzie is going to be the team's starting outside CB, but he will be playing as a safety in the nickel. This would alleviate some tackling concerns at the safety position, as that is one of Awuzie's biggest strengths.

-I'm expecting a big turnaround season for the starting linebackers as they both really struggled last season. New Orleans linebackers raved about Nolan as their positional coach. If Lve returns to fully health and stays relatively healthy, he could be a legitimate star. The staff has to come up with a plan to have Jaylon play more to his strengths of tremendous speed and burst. He isn't the most instinctive player, who he can still be effective if used right.

-I have heard many and even McCoy state he played too heavy last season. He reportedly has gotten his body back to his prior weight. It is a little worrisome how both McCoy/Poe preformed in Carolina against the run, but they both have an successful track record. You are right, if the Cowboys cannot win first down, forget about all those pressure packages. I do believe McCoy will be a better starter then Collins and the combination of Poe/Woods should be very formidable against the run. I do worry about the pass rush, don't think we have enough quality pass rushers. To expect both Aldon/Gregory to light the league on fire is too opportunistic to think after both missed so much time. I do believe DLaw is going to have a great season, perhaps a career one.

Nolan has assembled a reputable position/asst. coach staff here with the likes of Tomsula, George Edwards, Al Harris and kept holdover Leon Lett to continue coaching the DTs.
So the coaching structure should be strong foundation fixture.

I just have to see how this Awuzie situation pans out. As the way you've put his role as a starting CB
who will move to safety in nickel situations, that just does not make much sense to me strategically.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Nolan has assembled a reputable position/asst. coach staff here with the likes of Tomsula, George Edwards, Al Harris and kept holdover Leon Lett to continue coaching the DTs.
So the coaching structure should be strong foundation fixture.

I just have to see how this Awuzie situation pans out. As the way you've put his role as a starting CB
who will move to safety in nickel situations, that just does not make much sense to me strategically.

-We have to see it play out. It makes some sense to play Awuzie at Safety cause he is better facing the QB, then when his back is turned.
-However, Awuzie, in my opinion is the team's best CB right now on the current roster. How big of a drop-off would be if someone replaces him in the nickel? Worley/Brown are most likely going to have to fill in.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Which made no sense. Your post just baselessly assumes that somehow Payton is more impressive of a QB guru then McCarthy.

"Now just think if Payton coached Rodgers"

I simply mentioned that Payton took Brees and turned him into
the most prolific passer in NFL history.
Your retort was that McCarthy was a better coach with Aaron Rodgers
than Payton was with Drew Brees.

Now, try to stay with me here, Rodgers has a cannon for an arm.
He also has scramble ability. On the other hand, Brees has the arm
of a worn out cap gun and can't run. One coach can design plays using
the entire field. The other is restricted in that area due to limitations of
his QB. Not trying to knock Brees here, but I doubt you'd find many who'd
take him over Rodgers.

I do hope you understand now. Like I've said, I like them both.
I don't care about anyone's rankings. I'm just happy to have an
actual football coach this year.