Best Parcells Era Draft Pick

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
thats7 said:
Tough question. They all contribute and are all class guys. I wouldn't be so quick as to annoint Witten. Great receiving TE but he needs to pick up his blocking. Julius and the injury bug but when he's healthy he contributes big time. Same goes for Patrick. Rob wasn't very good last year but the kid has earned the utmost of respect from me. He took his pounding like a man, in front of millions of unforgiving fans and never heard the guy complain. Man, I just can't bring myself to vote for "Best". Could be a good thing though...means we got a TEAM happening here.
Next time we have a Q&A session with a writer or Cowboy you should ask this question. Hell, send it off to Micks mail. He may take this one.

I wonder how Parcells would answer this?

My favorite thing about making this thread is that there were at least 2 players from each draft I could include. Further, there is opportunities that players no listed in my pole might end up being one of the best.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lanecity1975 said:
i'm so ready for football it's sickening.

how you doing big un?
Same, Same. Finally the waiting is over. Every year is seems to get worse.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
I went with Jason Witten because he was a third round pick and is doing so very well. I didn't go with any of the first round picks because you EXPECT it from a first rounder. The other lower round picks have yet to prove themselves (though there is little doubt with some of them). Canty could very well end up being the best pick down the road. I gotta say though that at this point I am very pleased with all of the guys on that list.

ghost

Reaction score
I'm a skins fan, so i wont vote.

But i'd go with either Newman or Witten. Being a skins fan, i never payed much attention to Newman, therefore i can't tell whether he's good or not. But from what i've heard, he is the real deal. But ********, Witten is surly the real deal. We might hate each other but i think we can agree on one thing- Both Witten and Cooley were steals. By the way, what round was witten taken in?

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Witten easily. Now that he is locked up for a few more years that makes him even more valuable.

Ware may end up being the best player drafted, but Witten was the best value and the most important for the franchise as a whole.

A TE is a young QBs best friend. IMO, the future QB of the Cowboys is not on the roster beyond this or maybe next season at most (Bledsoe).

cboyd

Reaction score
Witten was taken in the 3rd round. By the way I would not put Carpenter up on the list till he proves that he is worthy to be up there. The guy has not played in the NFL yet

baj1dallas

Reaction score
superpunk said:
If we're taking value into account - it's gotta be.

Ware and TNew were no brain-first rounders. Witten was a heck of a grab.

Ware wasn't a "no brainer" until about 2 days before the draft. A month before nobody had even heard his name.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
I'm going to say Patrick Crayton... since Parcells has a knack at finding those late round players...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I think Newman has been the best player, but I selected Witten. Newman had a far better rookie year and was probably better last season than Witten was. But considering Newman was the 4th overall pick and Witten was a 3rd rounder, Witten was truly the best pick in the Parcells era.

Rich........

SA_Gunslinger

Official CZ Ea-girls hater
Reaction score
we've drafted pretty well during the parcells era, imo.

that is something we may miss once he's gone.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Hard to tell at this time, many of those players just got their feet wet for the 1st time last season. Overall it looks like a very good foundation that is being put together.

kilz

Reaction score
Trading down to get Julius and adding a 1st rounder (Spears). By far his best decision IMO. Give Julius some time, he will be a star.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
superpunk said:
Ware and TNew were no brain-first rounders. Witten was a heck of a grab.

Not necessarily.

The debate on the forum was between Ware and Merriman with a sprinkle of Derrick Johnson.

In 2004, the debate was between TNew and Terrell Suggs or Byron Leftwich.

In hindsight, Newman was the best choice, but I wouldn't say it was a no-brainer then.

I have to say Witten, though.

He was a gift.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The obvious choices would be Witten or Ware. But they are expected to perform at a high level.

But I picked Canty. He has 1st round talent, and would have been a 1st rounder. But injuries kept him out of it. so to use a 4th round on a player that you expected to sit a year. But he overcame his injuries, played, and played well. Now after an off season of conditioning. I think he will show why he should have been a 1st rounder.

ravidubey

Reaction score
The best is Terence Newman while the best value is Jason Witten. The 2005'ers are TBD.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Witten no question...especially for where he was taken.

I'm hoping Ware proves me wrong though.:D