Best Quartbacks in NFL History Tier List

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Namath falls into that category of player that the league could really market to the public. He had that persona and charisma which were absolutely seminal in growing the game. QB's back in the 60's and 70's didn't put up numbers by todays standards. Football was mostly a game for running backs. Don Coryell and Bill Walsh changed all that.
No doubt but Broadway had a canon arm. We really hadn’t seen anything like before. Not Bart Starr or Unitas who were championship studs of that era . Not even Tarkenton or Lamonica other top passing QB’s of that era.

There was no one else like him for a very short time . It was a slim window . But an arm like few in history. Probably why he threw so many interceptions . He probably thought he could throw it thru any defender.

But yea , he was a cultural icon of that era. And deserves to be in the HOF for impact alone . And he was great for a handful of years .

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Interesting ........Marino with no ring on tier 2 and Aikman with three on tier 3, same as Eli Manning. As good as he is, P Mahomes on the list is a bit premature.

FV4zFncWAAEIsZf

What? You mean to tell me Dak is not right behind Brady? I mean I hear of his greatness on this forum every freaking day!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What? You mean to tell me Dak is not right behind Brady? I mean I hear of his greatness on this forum every freaking day!
Not really. We see more of fans defending him against trolls and some unwarranted attacks solely blaming him on our less success as a team.

There’s actually a very small group of Dak Homers who’d rank him that high. Unfortunately entirely too much time and space is dedicated to their squabbling .

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Who is to say that the guys you listed above wouldn't be great today with modern training, modern coaching, and modern sports medicine extending their careers?
Nobody is to say that, but the fact of the matter is they're not, and that's all we have to go by.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
These type of rankings or charts always will cause controversy . But the HOF on the most part gets it right.

Sometimes it takes them 50 years or a lifetime to get it right but on the most part they do.

Unfortunately in order to keep the fraternity elite there can often be those who some feel unwarranted to be left out. But that helps ensure its status in history.

The fact we only have 300+ in the HOF after 100 years is a testament .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly, I copied the image off my Facebook page but here's a link to SOG.......let me know if it's not allowed for future reference. Already noticed your post any image should have a link so that won't happen again.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2d0E10gvDxph8gD_hXRbuA
Thanks. So about the delay. Real world work got in the way.

I will add the YouTube channel link to the OP in a sec but was the image pulled recently from one of the channel's videos? I ask because the bulk of the ones I found are 'Top 10' list videos. None of them say 'Best Quarterbacks' or some similar. Some of the videos go back several years, so I am assuming you may have grabbed the image from one of the channel's videos that has since been removed?

Edit: Nevermind. I located the SOG website and will update the OP with the correct link accordingly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Too much to argue about to waste my time with this ranking. The only one I agree with is Tom Brady at number one.

conner01

Reaction score
The only ones I didn’t see play was Baugh , Luckman and Graham. But my father and grandfather spoke of them .

Fans always want to discount greatness from prior eras mainly cause they didn’t see them play. Watching highlights or reading stats can never describe the impacts they made on the game.

Sammy Baugh was like a super freak athlete of that era. Closet thing we’ve probably had this era to his athletic ability being able to play different positions is Deion.
It’s hard to judge what you can’t see and I get that
But when a player dominates the competitions they performed against that a big deal
I never seen Baugh play but have seen some video of him. He was a very athletic dude. You could just tell he was much more athletic than the other guys. And that’s mostly just natural. They didn’t train year round, have the nutritional info of today or even the ability to train like guys today. And they played under rules that are so much different than today. Safety wasn’t a concern at all. You could take a guys head off lol
It was just a different game but some of those guys were just naturally great athletes
Comparing them to todays players is impossible because the game was so much different but that doesn’t take away from the fact they dominated the competition they played against

Ring Leader

Reaction score
My List:

1 Tom Brady
2 Peyton Manning
3 Joe Montana
4 Aaron Rodgers
5 Dan Marino
6 Drew Brees
7 Brett Favre
8 John Elway
9 Dan Fouts
10. Kurt Warner
11 Steve Young
12 Roger Staubach
13 Terry Bradshaw
14 Pat Mahomes
15 Ben Roethisber
16 Troy Aikman
17 Jim Kelly
18 Russell Wilson
19 Johnny Unitas *
20 Joe Namath *

Even Rams fans who were around in the 70s wouldn't put Warner (10) over Staubach (12). I'll begrudgingly give you a pass if you never saw Staubach play, but damn dude, really?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I don’t think Young, Marino, or Farve should be ahead of Troy or Roger. And Brees is too high. I’m one of the few that thinks Rogers get more credit than he deserves as well.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Recency bias in all of these polls is a joke. Look at NBA top 10 players, and it will likely have 8 players that have played in last 20 years.

Roger Staubach is a top 5 qb, period. Let him play in this day where you can hit a qb or receivers and see how he would dominate. Eli manning in same conversation as Roger is a joke.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thanks. So about the delay. Real world work got in the way.

I will add the YouTube channel link to the OP in a sec but was the image pulled recently from one of the channel's videos? I ask because the bulk of the ones I found are 'Top 10' list videos. None of them say 'Best Quarterbacks' or some similar. Some of the videos go back several years, so I am assuming you may have grabbed the image from one of the channel's videos that has since been removed?

Edit: Nevermind. I located the SOG website and will update the OP with the correct link accordingly.

Thank you!

DFWJC

Reaction score
Moderator Edit: https://www.sogsports.com/best-quarterbacks-of-all-time-tier-list/

Interesting ........Marino with no ring on tier 2 and Aikman with three on tier 3, same as Eli Manning. As good as he is, P Mahomes on the list is a bit premature.

FV4zFncWAAEIsZf
Really jaw-dropping that they have freaking Eli manning that high.

He was the very definition of average to above average (in his good years). Never, ever, had a season where he was a top 5 QB in the league. Not once.

This idiot has Eli ahead of Moon, Mahomes, Fouts...and so many others he has no business being ahead of.

DFWJC

Reaction score
This is ONLY an individual' opinion. And that individual is DEAD wrong. Again, everyone has their own opinion.
Yeah, because he made a graphic with tiers, he gets his silliness published and repeated.
Sad stuff