Best Safety In The Draft? Mayock Says...

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
NFL Network's Mike Mayock has Texas' Earl Thomas rated above Tennessee's Eric Berry as the best safety in this year's draft.

This one is a bit of a shocker, considering Berry is widely hailed as a top-five talent. Thomas' coverage skills are good enough that some teams believe he can convert to cornerback, but he may have to bulk up a bit to bypass Berry as an NFL safety.

Earl Thomas. Go figure.

A couple of years ago I would have laughed, but Mayock has earned my respect. That being said, I don't think he even makes it to our pick.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I've thought the same as well before Mayock or anyone else did :).

Nightshade

Reaction score
TheCount;3285587 said:
Earl Thomas. Go figure.

A couple of years ago I would have laughed, but Mayock has earned my respect. That being said, I don't think he even makes it to our pick.

Well he won't if Mayock keeps running off at the mouth.

for Gawd sakes SSSHHHHHHUUUSSHHHH!!!!

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3285717 said:
I hope some team buys this bull**** and passes on Eric Berry.

The ultimate fail.

Exactly.

In fact, Mayock even contradicts himself in that he says Thomas is the best safety in the draft, yet he'll have to bulk up to play safety in the NFL.

Berry is the best safety, hands down.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I'd call his bluff and take Berry and run to the bank.

Eric Berry can do it all.

He's the best player Tennessee has ever had on defense, imo.

That includes Reggie White.

Only Peyton Manning ranks ahead of him, and that is because of offense.

Berry will live in the Pro Bowl and make the Hall of Fame if he stays healthy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3285753 said:
Exactly.

In fact, Mayock even contradicts himself in that he says Thomas is the best safety in the draft, yet he'll have to bulk up to play safety in the NFL.

Because maybe Mayock is looking at the big picture and not what the guy is today when he is 21 years old.

He is already a better cover safety than Berry. Most range of any safety in this class.

The questions about Thomas is his ability to stop the run because of his size which I think is valid.

Berry is a better all around safety as of TODAY but if you project both guys down the road I think Earl has more upside.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3285760 said:
Because maybe Mayock is looking at the big picture and not what the guy is today when he is 21 years old.

He is already a better cover safety than Berry. Most range of any safety in this class.

The questions about Thomas are his ability to stop the run because of his size which I think is valid.

Berry is a better all around safety as of TODAY but if you project both guys down the road I think Earl has more upside.

Who is the say Thomas won't lose some range, speed, or quickness once he bulks up?

Berry is a sure thing . . . and he's head and shoulders the best safety in the class.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3285764 said:
Who is the say Thomas won't lose some range, speed, or quickness once he bulks up?

Berry is a sure thing . . . and he's head and shoulders the best safety in the class.

As of today yes he is.

But Earl Thomas is already coming off a better season than Berry. Regardless of what the people who vote for the Thorpe award think.

But the guy has to be a hall of famer to validate being picked that high as a safety IMO.

I imagine once teams at the top really start asking themselves if they want to pay a rookie safety that much money that he may slip a tad.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Man, I'm gonna miss the great, elite Eric Berry. He's a class act off the field, too.

I'd trade my entire draft for him, and I'm not kidding.

Reaction score
man as much as I respect Mayock, he made a VERY dumb call here. Berry hands down man, If he keeps boasting Thomas like that NO WAYY he falls to 27, not that he'd be there in the 1st place anyway.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3285804 said:
what a waste, lol

I don't know about that. Right now, teams should want him to play CB, because with his tackling issues, you don't want him to be your last line of defense.

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3285805 said:
I don't know about that. Right now, teams should want him to play CB, because with his tackling issues, you don't want him to be your last line of defense.

I think he'd be way more talented at Fs, with that range, but yeah his small frame concerns me for a fs (tackling, etc), but if a teams drafting to make him a corner I think they should just wait, corner depth is really deep this year. We'll see I guess.

RamziD

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3285805 said:

Funny, but I watched him for 2 years at UT and didn't find any issues with his tackling. I do agree on 2 points, though. Eric Berry is the #1 DB in this draft and ET won't last to our 1st round pick.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
HoleInTheRoof;3285753 said:
Exactly.

Perhaps I should have been clear. The quote is from Rotoworld, they are the ones saying he has to bulk up, not Mayock. Mayock just said Thomas is #1 on his list.