Best Safety In The Draft? Mayock Says...

burmafrd

Reaction score
One caveat on Suh is that he physically dominated. By strength as much as quickness. And the O linemen in the NFL are bigger and stronger then in college so perhaps the edge does go to McCoy.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;3287463 said:
One caveat on Suh is that he physically dominated. By strength as much as quickness. And the O linemen in the NFL are bigger and stronger then in college so perhaps the edge does go to McCoy.
I don't think so at all. I think Suh is the most dominant DT I have seen in maybe 20 years. If I were the Rams I would not trade out of 1 and would sign him now. Their DL could be dominant with him added to it.

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3287238 said:
Reggie White played at Tennessee.

I don't know that Eric Berry is the best prospect ever at Safety. I doubt that but I guess we'll see what the Combine brings.

Lott was good but I'd probably take Ed Reed or Dawkins over him. I think that each of them were more complete players. Lott brought a lot of attitude to the game and he could hit but he wasn't a great coverage Safety. Of course, in the era that he played, those thumpers at Safety could be used differently. In today's game, they would be abused.

If I had to pick the Safety that I thought was best, all time, I would probably go with Steve Atwater. I never really watched Willie Wood play but he was a heck of a safety as was our own Mel Renfro. I saw Ken Houston play and he was a heck of a player. He had more skills, IMO, then did Lott. He was one hell of a player.

To the discussion of RLW vs Ed Reed, well, I can say that I wanted Ed Reed way more then RLW at the time. Heck, those discussions are probably still in the archives. I think that anybody who watched RLW at OU and Ed Reed at Miami could see that Reed was the better Safety in terms of overall skills. He could do it all but RLW was such an impact player at OU, it was hard to see past that. However, if you really watched OU and RLW, you knew that a lot of that was the scheme Bob Stoops played while RLW was at OU. It was designed for RLW to make plays and it shielded him from being isolated in coverage. RLW was never a great cover Safety IMO. Even at OU, you could see this, which is why I liked Ed Reed better at the time.

With regards to Berry or Thomas, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both, IMO, are going to be very good Safeties in the NFL. I would be happy with either. I don't believe that Berry is another RLW. I believe that the kid out of USC might be but I think Berry has the coverage skills to play in the NFL. I would be very happy to see either player in a Cowboy uniform next season.

lott was/is thought of as a hitter and gets discredited for his coverage skills alot but in reality he was excelent in coverage. 63 ints, 9 postseason

lol at dawkins, great but not all time great.

Manwiththeplan;3287266 said:
Wasn't Lott Rookie of the year at CB then moved to safety?

second for roty and dpoty behind LT. he moved to saftey in 85. best year as a saftey in 86 and once again finished second to LT. he also missed the last two games of that season ans still led the league in ints

ABQCOWBOY;3287368 said:
I am not exactly sure when Lott was moved to Safet y but yes, essentially, he started as a CB and was moved to Safety. They moved him because of his coverage skills. That, plus the fact that he hit like 10 ton of brick so yeah.

he wasnt moved because of his coverage skills they moved him because the league was evolving and WR were getting faster and he couldnt keep up with the speed demons(maybe that is somewhat coverage skills)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;3287703 said:
Lott was/is thought of as a hitter and gets discredited for his coverage skills alot but in reality he was excelent in coverage. 63 ints, 9 postseason

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. He was OK but he was not excellent in Coverage at CB. Had he been excellent, he would not have been moved because it's a lot easier and cheaper to find a CB then a Safety, as we all know. The 63 INTs are good numbers but a safety should have good numbers because he's going to get the opportunities to play deep and pick balls off.

lol at dawkins, great but not all time great.

Dawkins:

Tackles 1014, PD 164, Scks 21, Ints 36.

8 Pro Bowls, 7 All Pro selections (5 1st team 2 2nd team) All Decade team.

Laugh if you want to but this guy could very easily land in the HOF.

he wasnt moved because of his coverage skills they moved him because the league was evolving and WR were getting faster and he couldnt keep up with the speed demons(maybe that is somewhat coverage skills)

If you can't run with WRs, then you don't have the skills to play CB. You can either cover them or you can't. Clearly, the 49ers believed that Lott was better suited to play Safety.

It's not as if I don't like the guy. He's from Albuquerque New Mexico so obviously, I watched him. I'm just stating my opinion on what I saw.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Hostile;3287544 said:
I don't think so at all. I think Suh is the most dominant DT I have seen in maybe 20 years. If I were the Rams I would not trade out of 1 and would sign him now. Their DL could be dominant with him added to it.

No kidding. People are way, way overthinking this if they would take McCoy over Suh. McCoy is a talent, but he wasn't nearly as dominating as Suh -- not even close.

Mayock can watch all the tape and use all the draft lingo he likes, but this is like taking Ricky Bell over Tony Dorsett.

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3287758 said:
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. He was OK but he was not excellent in Coverage at CB. Had he been excellent, he would not have been moved because it's a lot easier and cheaper to find a CB then a Safety, as we all know. The 63 INTs are good numbers but a safety should have good numbers because he's going to get the opportunities to play deep and pick balls off.

Dawkins:

Tackles 1014, PD 164, Scks 21, Ints 36.

8 Pro Bowls, 7 All Pro selections (5 1st team 2 2nd team) All Decade team.

Laugh if you want to but this guy could very easily land in the HOF.

If you can't run with WRs, then you don't have the skills to play CB. You can either cover them or you can't. Clearly, the 49ers believed that Lott was better suited to play Safety.

It's not as if I don't like the guy. He's from Albuquerque New Mexico so obviously, I watched him. I'm just stating my opinion on what I saw.

he averaged 4 ints a year as cb, 7 as a rookie. he was a very good cb but the game changed and he obvoiusly was better suited as a saftey at that point.

63 is a good number no matter what position you play. dawkins has a little more than half that number.

i dont doubt he will make the hof but to try to put him in the discussion to be near the top of the greatest ever at the position is laughable to me. maybe a superbowl win would change that but prolly not

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
rkell87;3287777 said:
he averaged 4 ints a year as cb, 7 as a rookie. he was a very good cb but the game changed and he obvoiusly was better suited as a saftey at that point.

63 is a good number no matter what position you play. dawkins has a little more than half that number.

i dont doubt he will make the hof but to try to put him in the discussion to be near the top of the greatest ever at the position is laughable to me. maybe a superbowl win would change that but prolly not

Dawkins plays in an era where the WRs are much more talented. The game is much more difficult if your a DB now then it was then. You can't play nearly as physically, you can't do many, many things that created INTs back when Lott played. I do believe that Dawkins is more talented but hey, if you want to say Lott was, that's OK with me. At the end of the day, Lott was not the best Safety I ever saw. He was very good, no question but I don't think he was the best. JMO

rkell87

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3287822 said:
Dawkins plays in an era where the WRs are much more talented. The game is much more difficult if your a DB now then it was then. You can't play nearly as physically, you can't do many, many things that created INTs back when Lott played. I do believe that Dawkins is more talented but hey, if you want to say Lott was, that's OK with me. At the end of the day, Lott was not the best Safety I ever saw. He was very good, no question but I don't think he was the best. JMO
thats cool, obviously i didn't see lott in his prime but i would say ive seen enough of all three to know that i saw lott dominate games just like ray lewis did in his prime and i just dont see it with the other two you mention, reed is a game breaker and playmaker but i just dont see it every game year in and year out, and dawkins is the emotional fiery leader like ray lewis is but isn't the play maker IMO to be the greatest.

lott was but like you JMO

burmafrd

Reaction score
did not really pay attention but Suh only really dominated this last year, right? So where was he before? If he is so great?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3287768 said:
No kidding. People are way, way overthinking this if they would take McCoy over Suh. McCoy is a talent, but he wasn't nearly as dominating as Suh -- not even close.

Mayock can watch all the tape and use all the draft lingo he likes, but this is like taking Ricky Bell over Tony Dorsett.
Great example.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
burmafrd;3288092 said:
did not really pay attention but Suh only really dominated this last year, right? So where was he before? If he is so great?
You answered your own question.