Best Safety In The Draft? Mayock Says...

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;3286783 said:
Its hard for me to argue against Lott so I won't but if it were up to me I would take Ed Reed. But Lott never was awarded a DPOY like Reed has been. (Another point to me from Reali)

And not only do I think Ed Reed has dominated his share of games the guy dominates how teams have to prep against the Ravens defense all week in practice.

He may be one of the top 2 pass defenders of all time including corners too imo.

He just hasn't been retired long enough to get his tupac status but when he calls it a career how many people are going to immediately throw his name out there as the best safety of all time?

he didnt win the dpoy because for whatever reason he decided to have his two best seasons in 81 and 86. ill let you look up who won in those two years(hint it was the same person).

lott changed what you look for in a saftey and won 4 championships.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
ah the ol fakeout

http://img16.*************/img16/285/jordan070im4nj.gif

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
He picked Earl Thomas over Berry

He also picked McCoy over Suh. ( Which McShay did as well).

I strongly disagree with both of these picks.

Is he just trying to stir the pot, or am I missing something?

Reaction score
Although I don't agree with his assessment if the safeties there isn't much drop off at all from berry to Thomas, basically even.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
AustnIsMySaviour;3286928 said:
Although I don't agree with his assessment if the safeties there isn't much drop off at all from berry to Thomas, basically even.

I don't agree, I think Earl Thomas is pretty good, but I think Berry is great.

McCoy doesn't have half the stats Suh had. In Fact suh's senior season almost eclipses McCoy's career stats in college

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
rkell87;3286825 said:
he didnt win the dpoy because for whatever reason he decided to have his two best seasons in 81 and 86. ill let you look up who won in those two years(hint it was the same person).

lott changed what you look for in a saftey and won 4 championships.

let me guess without looking it up......hmmmm, thinking.....thinking..... does he have the same initials as a recently released RB?

Seriously knocking Lott for not winning DPOY when he played in the same era as Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor (no defensive player in the league now is as good as either) just shows ignorance of football beyond the last 10 years

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3286946 said:
let me guess without looking it up......hmmmm, thinking.....thinking..... does he have the same initials as a recently released RB?

Seriously knocking Lott for not winning DPOY when he played in the same era as Reggie White and Lawrence Taylor (no defensive player in the league now is as good as either) just shows ignorance of football beyond the last 10 years

Demarcus Ware at the end of the day will be mentioned with both of these guys.

Im sure his 20 sacks in a season would've still translated well in 1986.

Just because Demarcus Ware isn't the legend yet doesn't mean he hasn't performed like those guys did in there day.

Ware is already a better all around player than LT.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
CATCH17;3286961 said:

really? LT had 5 career ints in his first 5 seasons (pass deflections and fumbles forced weren't recorded). Even as a pass rusher, LT took over games consistently. Ware just isn't there (hopefully will be)

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;3286961 said:
Demarcus Ware at the end of the day will be mentioned with both of these guys.

Im sure his 20 sacks in a season would've still translated well in 1986.

Just because Demarcus Ware isn't the legend yet doesn't mean he hasn't performed like those guys did in there day.

once again man your talking about a player that revolutionized the position and what you want to look for at the position + changed another position forever(left tackle) these are players that transcend the sport and take it to another level. ware is a beast but isn't the unstoppable force that LT was.

Skinsmaniac

Boycotting Snyder since 2009
Reaction score
Muhast;3286933 said:
McCoy doesn't have half the stats Suh had. In Fact suh's senior season almost eclipses McCoy's career stats in college
Look at Suh's junior season compared to McCoy's season. I think the reason Mayock has McCoy higher is that he is quicker and younger and expects him to develop into a better player.

Gzus

Romosexual
Reaction score
CATCH17;3286961 said:
Not yet, but a few more seasons playing the way he's been playing and at least one SB win/appearance would do it.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Skinsmaniac;3287006 said:
Look at Suh's junior season compared to McCoy's season. I think the reason Mayock has McCoy higher is that he is quicker and younger and expects him to develop into a better player.
Mayock seems to think that for the Ram's style of Defense, McCoy fits better.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
41gy#;3285757 said:
I'd call his bluff and take Berry and run to the bank.

Eric Berry can do it all.

He's the best player Tennessee has ever had on defense, imo.

That includes Reggie White.

Only Peyton Manning ranks ahead of him, and that is because of offense.

Berry will live in the Pro Bowl and make the Hall of Fame if he stays healthy.

Reggie White played at Tennessee.

I don't know that Eric Berry is the best prospect ever at Safety. I doubt that but I guess we'll see what the Combine brings.

Lott was good but I'd probably take Ed Reed or Dawkins over him. I think that each of them were more complete players. Lott brought a lot of attitude to the game and he could hit but he wasn't a great coverage Safety. Of course, in the era that he played, those thumpers at Safety could be used differently. In today's game, they would be abused.

If I had to pick the Safety that I thought was best, all time, I would probably go with Steve Atwater. I never really watched Willie Wood play but he was a heck of a safety as was our own Mel Renfro. I saw Ken Houston play and he was a heck of a player. He had more skills, IMO, then did Lott. He was one hell of a player.

To the discussion of RLW vs Ed Reed, well, I can say that I wanted Ed Reed way more then RLW at the time. Heck, those discussions are probably still in the archives. I think that anybody who watched RLW at OU and Ed Reed at Miami could see that Reed was the better Safety in terms of overall skills. He could do it all but RLW was such an impact player at OU, it was hard to see past that. However, if you really watched OU and RLW, you knew that a lot of that was the scheme Bob Stoops played while RLW was at OU. It was designed for RLW to make plays and it shielded him from being isolated in coverage. RLW was never a great cover Safety IMO. Even at OU, you could see this, which is why I liked Ed Reed better at the time.

With regards to Berry or Thomas, I don't think you could go wrong either way. Both, IMO, are going to be very good Safeties in the NFL. I would be happy with either. I don't believe that Berry is another RLW. I believe that the kid out of USC might be but I think Berry has the coverage skills to play in the NFL. I would be very happy to see either player in a Cowboy uniform next season.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3287238 said:
Lott brought a lot of attitude to the game and he could hit but he wasn't a great coverage Safety. Of course, in the era that he played, those thumpers at Safety could be used differently. In today's game, they would be abused.

Wasn't Lott Rookie of the year at CB then moved to safety?

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;3287182 said:
Okay, stop posting gifs, just to post gifs.

thanks for your opinion.

http://img694.*************/img694/4134/2zqtqte.gif

you'll get over it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Manwiththeplan;3287266 said:
Wasn't Lott Rookie of the year at CB then moved to safety?

I am not exactly sure when Lott was moved to Safet y but yes, essentially, he started as a CB and was moved to Safety. They moved him because of his coverage skills. That, plus the fact that he hit like 10 ton of brick so yeah.