Best teams since 1996 Ranking

starfan1

Reaction score
People got upset when I said they were the same guy lol…..and it wasn’t the pro Dak crowd either. DAKS my guy but even I can’t defend his last 3 playoff performances. But for whatever reason there are some here that will and will defend Romos playoff career.
I dont blame either for the playoff futility completely. I do blame skelator. But yes I have see the pro romo guys get all butthurt when you say they are literally the same QB

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I dont blame either for the playoff futility completely. I do blame skelator. But yes I have see the pro romo guys get all butthurt when you say they are literally the same QB
Test I mean we know ultimately what the issue is. But sadly The reality is these guys can’t and haven’t won with Jerry and probably never will.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
That was the season we lost the divisional game to the Niners AND held their offense to just 19 points....unfortunately our offense only scored 1 TD the entire game.

Our defense came to play that day.
Isn't that the game where Pollard got hip dropped? Changed our whole running gameplan.

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
if only Sean "No hammies" Lee was healthy for 2014, that wouldve helped getting to a gimped rodgers or even got us home field advantage.

2016 Dak wasnt bad, but definitely had some nerves going, the reffing was weird, i forgot his name but we got called for some stupid *** penalty never called in like 10 years that killed an important drive. Defense couldnt do anything that game, no f'in idea how rodgers held on to that ball when the GOAT jeff heath hit him hard.

2007 hurts, just a huge mess of mistakes at the end

2009 sucked too, our oline was in shambles when we faced the vikings and we couldnt do a thing on either side, beating the eagles three times make it feel a lil bit better

2022 hurts the most cause imo that was the best defense we had in a long, long time, and our offense completely filled its diaper.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
IMO none of these teams would have made it past the NFC champioship game. Not enough clutch players at important positions......too inconsistent post Jimmy....plays need to be made in the playoff, mistakes will kill you...which is what happened in the divisional rounds.
this 100%, they all had fatal flaws....which history proved out.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I think it was the they would’ve never won with Garrett but highlight the teams led by Wade Phillips lol.
Wade Phillips inherited a Super Bowl roster from the Parcell's years and he squandered it. Of course neither Wade or Garrett had much of any real power. Wade remains the only Dallas hc to be under a gag order for a period lol. Garrett was so impressive in ten years that the entire league passed on hiring him.

morat1959

Reaction score
If a frog had wings, he wouldn’t hit his butt every time he hopped.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wade Phillips inherited a Super Bowl roster from the Parcell's years and he squandered it. Of course neither Wade or Garrett had much of any real power. Wade remains the only Dallas hc to be under a gag order for a period lol. Garrett was so impressive in ten years that the entire league passed on hiring him.
In Garrett’s defense…typically anyone who Jerry hired rarely gets a second shot after he ruins them except Chan Gailey.

ArtClink

Reaction score
In Garrett’s defense…typically anyone who Jerry hired rarely gets a second shot after he ruins them except Chan Gailey.
100% accurate. The other thing to remember is since Jimmy left, Jerry has micromanaged every HC since although Parcells was given a little more power. Jerry has been the hc in the shadows since Barry S took over for Jimmy and Jerry greatly limits the power his head coaches get. A great example is Jerry hiring assistant coaches before a new hc is named. He hired Garrett to be O-coordinator before Wade was hired as he did with Garrett. No self respecting hc would agree to come to Dallas since Jerry ensures it will be the last hc job you'll ever get in the NFL.

The most frustrating years have to be watching Garrett play hc for ten years with his pitiful clock management and instances of icing his own kicker. What a hack.

The other thing Jerry allows is "learning on the job", winning be damned like he did with Garrett and Kellen "The Hammer" Moore. What a disgrace to let unqualified candidates take over when he could have hired great experienced coaches. But then again even an experienced coach would get undermined constantly and thus be ineffective.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The other thing Jerry allows is "learning on the job", winning be damned like he did with Garrett and Kellen "The Hammer" Moore. What a disgrace to let unqualified candidates take over when he could have hired great experienced coaches.
Those decisions are not a disgrace as far as a narcissistic Mad Genius is concerned.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the 2007 team was the best. 2016 was not far behind but they were very young and they ran into their nemesis Aaron Rodgers.

But 2007 they were 13-3, had a bye, then faced the Wild Car Giants. They did not play well at home and lost to the team than won the SB. It was a golden opportunity for them, they best they had since their last SB win.

I think when we look at 2023, that team was a mirage. The offensive line was anything but dominant, the defensive line was mediocre at best. They couldn't run the football or stop the run. When they couldn't rush the passer they had nothing on defense. Green Bay, a mid team, exploited their weaknesses in a blowout. Looking back, that 2023 team had no business winning the division.

The sad part is, the 2024 team will be worse.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I think the 2007 team was the best. 2016 was not far behind but they were very young and they ran into their nemesis Aaron Rodgers.

But 2007 they were 13-3, had a bye, then faced the Wild Car Giants. They did not play well at home and lost to the team than won the SB. It was a golden opportunity for them, they best they had since their last SB win.

I think when we look at 2023, that team was a mirage. The offensive line was anything but dominant, the defensive line was mediocre at best. They couldn't run the football or stop the run. When they couldn't rush the passer they had nothing on defense. Green Bay, a mid team, exploited their weaknesses in a blowout. Looking back, that 2023 team had no business winning the division.

The sad part is, the 2024 team will be worse.
This does prove out, if you look back when Dak and CD couldnt put the other team behind where they only had 1 option (or the opposing QB threw us the ball) it didnt go well, it was built on the hope the other team would make mistakes and couldn't stay balanced...thats not a winning formula in the playoffs

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2014 was a great season for 1 reason and 1 reason only.

As you may recall, everybody was puzzled during TC that year because Romo and Dez were staying after practice every day and Romo would just lob balls down the sideline to Dez, Dez would stop, wait for the ball and out-jump EVERYBODY coming down with the football every time.
That combo was responsible for TDs and critical 3rd down throws all season.. It opened up the run ridiculously because defenses sometimes trippled Dez in failed attempts stop it.

Without that play, that team doesn't make the playoffs.

plasticman

Reaction score
When I evaluate the seasons I try to take my personal opinion out of it. I do this by using a weighted scoring system that includes their league ranks in both scoring and yardage, both offensively and defensively along with the turnover differential. That is worth half the score while their season record is worth the other half.

Record-50%
Offense points-10%
Offense yards-10%
Defense points-10%
Defense yards-10%
Turnover differential-10%

I have created a score for every team for every season from 1970 (NFL-AFL merge) to last season. In all, 32 different teams produced a total of 1578 different seasons.

As far as the Cowboys seasons from 1997 to 2023, the rankings will surprise a lot of fans but the formula makes it very clear as to why:

1. 2023
2. 2022
3. 2021
4. 2007
5. 2016
6. 2009
7. 1998
8. 2014
9. 2019
10. 1999

Although it seems absurd, consider that the record of 12-5 has a winning percentage between that of 11-5 and 12-4. Only a record of 12-4 and above is better in a 16 game season.

This evaluation is for the regular season only and their playoff fates are not part of the score. I wanted to do it this way so I could compare their regular season potential to their playoff results. As you know, after 1996, they were all pretty much the same.

In 2023, the combination of their 12-5 record combined with their rankings in the five categories gave them the #1 spot. They ranked #1 in points scored and #5 in the other four categories. This is their best combined statistical ranking since the 1992 season.

By now, you should all be catching on to the fact that this is not a celebratory event.

Obviously, the better their regular season was, the more severe they blew a true opportunity to be in the Super Bowl and the past three seasons have been the worse.

The fan favorite seasons of 2014, 2016, and 2007 had their flaws and it's the same one that plagued them since the beginning of this century until Dan Quinn showed up. They could not get a turnover

The Cowboys had strings of seasons where they had single digit INT's. In Quinn's very first season there, the Cowboys were ranked #1 in turnover differential for the first time in their history. The following season, they were ranked #2 for the 3rd time in their history. The last time was 1981. Last season they were ranked #5

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
2024 is the one, if not it will be a while before we have another chance. The rebuild starts in 2025.

Motorola

Reaction score
When I evaluate the seasons I try to take my personal opinion out of it. I do this by using a weighted scoring system that includes their league ranks in both scoring and yardage, both offensively and defensively along with the turnover differential. That is worth half the score while their season record is worth the other half.

Record-50%
Offense points-10%
Offense yards-10%
Defense points-10%
Defense yards-10%
Turnover differential-10%

I have created a score for every team for every season from 1970 (NFL-AFL merge) to last season. In all, 32 different teams produced a total of 1578 different seasons.

As far as the Cowboys seasons from 1997 to 2023, the rankings will surprise a lot of fans but the formula makes it very clear as to why:

1. 2023
2. 2022
3. 2021
4. 2007
5. 2016
6. 2009
7. 1998
8. 2014
9. 2019
10. 1999

Although it seems absurd, consider that the record of 12-5 has a winning percentage between that of 11-5 and 12-4. Only a record of 12-4 and above is better in a 16 game season.

This evaluation is for the regular season only and their playoff fates are not part of the score. I wanted to do it this way so I could compare their regular season potential to their playoff results. As you know, after 1996, they were all pretty much the same.

In 2023, the combination of their 12-5 record combined with their rankings in the five categories gave them the #1 spot. They ranked #1 in points scored and #5 in the other four categories. This is their best combined statistical ranking since the 1992 season.

By now, you should all be catching on to the fact that this is not a celebratory event.

Obviously, the better their regular season was, the more severe they blew a true opportunity to be in the Super Bowl and the past three seasons have been the worse.

The fan favorite seasons of 2014, 2016, and 2007 had their flaws and it's the same one that plagued them since the beginning of this century until Dan Quinn showed up. They could not get a turnover

The Cowboys had strings of seasons where they had single digit INT's. In Quinn's very first season there, the Cowboys were ranked #1 in turnover differential for the first time in their history. The following season, they were ranked #2 for the 3rd time in their history. The last time was 1981. Last season they were ranked #5
So since you started with the 1997 season- thus eliminating 1996 from the rankings - I assume the 2006 playoff team comes in 11th place?

plasticman

Reaction score
So since you started with the 1997 season- thus eliminating 1996 from the rankings - I assume the 2006 playoff team comes in 11th place?
The OP specified those seasons "since" 1996.

However, if I include the 1996 season then it would be ranked #13 between the 2003 and 2017 seasons.

The 1996 team had a very weak offense, ranked 25th in scoring, 24th in yardage. They did have the #3 defense in both scoring and yardage plus #9 in turnover differential.

They beat the Cardinals twice 17-3 and 10-6. They beat the Patriots 12-6. They beat the Packers 21-6 on seven Boniol field goals. The next season they went 6-10 and Switzer was fired.