Best teams since 1996 Ranking

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
This is sad, but fun!

Top 11:

1. 2007 -- Easily the best team. They were talented. They were deep. And they actually had depth on DL (something this team has lacked ever since). 13-3 with 3 strong wins over the two next best teams in the NFC. This team is remembered for the disappointing playoff loss to the Giants, but that Giants team was also stacked and did the same thing to the 18-0 Pats and start the season 11-1 the following year (before Plax shot himself).

2. 2014 -- This was probably the best offense we've had since the glory days. Efficient, Physical, and could carry the team on any field. But the real strength was the team's maturity-- the most mentally tough team since 2000. Unfortunately, the defense was once again a liability. The talent was not at all playoff caliber on that side of the ball. Jeremy Mincey was our sack leader with 6 sacks.

3a. 2016 -- This was virtually the same team as the 2014 team, but Dak/Zeke gave the team a burst of energy. Again, the defense wasn't a playoff defense -- Benson Mayowa led the team with 6 sacks.

3b. 2009 -- This is our most underrated team, IMO. This was a less deep version of the 2007 team, but with better defensive results. This was the year we were 2nd overall scoring defense at 15.6 PPG allowed. The offense was still physical and had a vertical game with Miles Austin. What doomed this team was the lack of creativity in the playbook, and ultimately we ran into a buzzsaw with the Vikings (IMO, the best team that season).

4. 1996 -- I was 10 at the time, so memory isn't the best. But I'm going to keep them above the rest because of the experience they fielded and the fact that I remember they absolutely waxed Minny in the playoffs. In reality, I only remember a handful of games including a tough OT win at SF who were 12-4 that season.

Notable Gap

5. 2022 -- Really good team, not great. The ground game never got going and the offense was hot and cold. The defense was great early, diminished late, and then played solid in the playoffs. Ultimately, maybe just as talented as some of the above teams, but just not a physical enough team. But they are clearly above any other team below as they had a reasonable amount of success against stiff competition in the regular season/playoffs.

Small Gap

6. 2021-- Exciting, but finesse offense. Could not handle tough competition.
7. 2018-- Solid offense, solid defense. Won a playoff game, but got worked by Sean McVay and the run game.
8. 2023 -- Great record, just no depth in the front 7, and lacked a run game. Only won division because of massive PHI collapse. They got embarrased in the playoffs.
9. 2006 -- I actually would take this team over the 2023 squad H2H because of Bill Parcells and the talent. But this was a team in transition that was just good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.
10. 2003 -- Terrible offense, really good defense-- probably 3rd or 4th stongest on this list.

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
This is sad, but fun!

Top 11:

1. 2007 -- Easily the best team. They were talented. They were deep. And they actually had depth on DL (something this team has lacked ever since). 13-3 with 3 strong wins over the two next best teams in the NFC. This team is remembered for the disappointing playoff loss to the Giants, but that Giants team was also stacked and did the same thing to the 18-0 Pats and start the season 11-1 the following year (before Plax shot himself).

2. 2014 -- This was probably the best offense we've had since the glory days. Efficient, Physical, and could carry the team on any field. But the real strength was the team's maturity-- the most mentally tough team since 2000. Unfortunately, the defense was once again a liability. The talent was not at all playoff caliber on that side of the ball. Jeremy Mincey was our sack leader with 6 sacks.

3a. 2016 -- This was virtually the same team as the 2014 team, but Dak/Zeke gave the team a burst of energy. Again, the defense wasn't a playoff defense -- Benson Mayowa led the team with 6 sacks.

3b. 2009 -- This is our most underrated team, IMO. This was a less deep version of the 2007 team, but with better defensive results. This was the year we were 2nd overall scoring defense at 15.6 PPG allowed. The offense was still physical and had a vertical game with Miles Austin. What doomed this team was the lack of creativity in the playbook, and ultimately we ran into a buzzsaw with the Vikings (IMO, the best team that season).

4. 1996 -- I was 10 at the time, so memory isn't the best. But I'm going to keep them above the rest because of the experience they fielded and the fact that I remember they absolutely waxed Minny in the playoffs. In reality, I only remember a handful of games including a tough OT win at SF who were 12-4 that season.

Notable Gap

5. 2022 -- Really good team, not great. The ground game never got going and the offense was hot and cold. The defense was great early, diminished late, and then played solid in the playoffs. Ultimately, maybe just as talented as some of the above teams, but just not a physical enough team. But they are clearly above any other team below as they had a reasonable amount of success against stiff competition in the regular season/playoffs.

Small Gap

6. 2021-- Exciting, but finesse offense. Could not handle tough competition.
7. 2018-- Solid offense, solid defense. Won a playoff game, but got worked by Sean McVay and the run game.
8. 2023 -- Great record, just no depth in the front 7, and lacked a run game. Only won division because of massive PHI collapse. They got embarrased in the playoffs.
9. 2006 -- I actually would take this team over the 2023 squad H2H because of Bill Parcells and the talent. But this was a team in transition that was just good enough to squeeze into the playoffs.
10. 2003 -- Terrible offense, really good defense-- probably 3rd or 4th stongest on this list.
Also I want to note:

While I think 2007 was the best team, I think the '14 and '16 teams had the best shot at the Super Bowl.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I might have the details flawed but didn’t Romo throw that pass on 4th and 2? Or 4th and 3?

It wasn’t even smart to throw that pass on that down. Low percentage pass.
Low percentage pass? Yes.

Smart? It was a near perfect pass. I am uncertain why the pass should be judged as smart, dumb or any description in-between.

Any quarterback's main passing responsibility is throwing a catchable ball. That was an example of a catchable ball.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Low percentage pass? Yes.

Smart? It was a near perfect pass. I am uncertain why the pass should be judged as smart, dumb or any description in-between.

Any quarterback's main passing responsibility is throwing a catchable ball. That was an example of a catchable ball.
It was 4th down and a low percentage pass. It wasn’t smart. It wasn’t like it was gonna be an easy pitch and catch by Dez. I get the idea of taking the shot when you get it but the risk outweighed the reward.

gtb1943

Reaction score
2007 was clearly the best team; a number of players on that team had career years then; like Ellis. But the lack of discipline and probably most of all that injury to TO doomed them. IF TO had been healthy, he and Romo had really clicked. That would have stretched the giants D a lot more and I think would have made the difference.

gtb1943

Reaction score
It was 4th down and a low percentage pass. It wasn’t smart. It wasn’t like it was gonna be an easy pitch and catch by Dez. I get the idea of taking the shot when you get it but the risk outweighed the reward.
A TD almost certainly. Calling it dumb is frankly more of a sign you want to take a shot at Romo then actually judging the play.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I might have the details flawed but didn’t Romo throw that pass on 4th and 2? Or 4th and 3?
No, you are correct.

This is a good video where Tony breaks down that play. He acknowledges that he would have liked to gone elsewhere with the ball but explains why he didn't feel those were going to be high % plays given the defensive alignment. Dez 1 on 1, he completed the pass. I can't argue the decision or the execution. https://www.dallascowboys.com/video...-the-dez-overturned-catch-at-green-bay-373921

My memory is a little fuzzy as well but didn't Witten drop a pass, slip & fall, something that would have converted a first down earlier in that possession? Witten had more than a few failures of his own that get swept under the rug.

Not every play or player is going to be perfect. I get that but in close games the little things will get ya.

I completely agree that having a QB who can really overcome is a huge advantage and yes sometimes a good QB just being a good QB isn't good enough.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay.

I got real work to do.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
A TD almost certainly. Calling it dumb is frankly more of a sign you want to take a shot at Romo than actually judging the play.
I’m judging the play I said nothing about Romo all I said was it was a dumb throw on 4th down. I can’t pacify you guys every time the discussion of Romo comes up. I can sit here and say he was a good quarterback for Dallas and someone would complain in taking shots at him. If I want to take a shot at him I’d bring up the things that have been argued to death and we know what they are.

I just don’t get how we can agree it was a low percentage throw but if I say it was a dumb throw it’s a shot at him?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, you are correct.

This is a good video where Tony breaks down that play. He acknowledges that he would have liked to gone elsewhere with the ball but explains why he didn't feel those were going to be high % plays given the defensive alignment. Dez 1 on 1, he completed the pass. I can't argue the decision or the execution. https://www.dallascowboys.com/video...-the-dez-overturned-catch-at-green-bay-373921

My memory is a little fuzzy as well but didn't Witten drop a pass, slip & fall, something that would have converted a first down earlier in that possession? Witten had more than a few failures of his own that get swept under the rug.

Not every play or player is going to be perfect. I get that but in close games the little things will get ya.

I completely agree that having a QB who can really overcome is a huge advantage and yes sometimes a good QB just being a good QB isn't good enough.
That’s a cool video I never heard Romo’s explanation. Not a fan of the empty back set on 4th and 2 I get you probably don’t run with the game on the line but I don’t like Dez being single covered and having to rely on a go route when he doesn’t get great separation as is. It’s easy to sit here in hindsight and say what he should’ve done because he has less than a second to make a decision. Seems like Beasley might’ve been the best play but I mean this pretty much explains why these guys have so much issues in big games making the big conversion. Dez go route, Witten slant and Beasley slant. Must be great for a defense to know what to defense on 4th down.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
That’s a cool video I never heard Romo’s explanation. Not a fan of the empty back set on 4th and 2 I get you probably don’t run with the game on the line but I don’t like Dez being single covered and having to rely on a go route when he doesn’t get great separation as is. It’s easy to sit here in hindsight and say what he should’ve done because he has less than a second to make a decision. Seems like Beasley might’ve been the best play but I mean this pretty much explains why these guys have so much issues in big games making the big conversion. Dez go route, Witten slant and Beasley slant. Must be great for a defense to know what to defense on 4th down.
Live, I was shocked when Romo lofted it downfield. I fully expected them to go with something underneath.

I was also surprised when Tony talked thru it that there wasn't an option for Beasley to take his route outside if defender took inside leverage. I would have assumed there would have been a word or hand signal once they saw the D alignment.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
This was our best Super Bowl over the last 15-20 years. Jerry and Garrett made a huge mistake with how they handled Dak and Romo during the playoffs. As good as Dak had played the regular season, you knew his lack of post-season experience would catch up with him. It still baffles me today WHY they didn't better prepare both players of a QB change if Dak started struggling. I remember telling a couple of friends to be prepared for Romo to take over during the first playoff game Dak struggles. I am 100% confident Romo would have picked up where Dak left off and led us to a Super Bowl.
Apparently, the Tony Romo you speak of is a completely different guy that I watched all of those years.. :facepalm:

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
That 07’ team would’ve won the SB if TO hadn’t gotten hurt against Carolina. Just my opinion. Owens rushed back, wasn’t 100%, and they ran Barber into the ground throughout the entire game. If Romo/Crayton connect on one of those two miscues, they probably win.
Like the inimitable Kendrick Perkins once said: "If Ifs was a fifth, we would all be drunk".

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Live, I was shocked when Romo lofted it downfield. I fully expected them to go with something underneath.

I was also surprised when Tony talked thru it that there wasn't an option for Beasley to take his route outside if defender took inside leverage. I would have assumed there would have been a word or hand signal once they saw the D alignment.
ESPECIALLY at that time...Beasley was always open for anything underneath.

John813

Reaction score
Same top 4 as the OP, but I would flip 2007 with 2016 as the 2007 defense was better vs the run and pass.

2014 defense was a mess, but the offense was just so efficient at times.
Offensive line was in it's prime, Murray was healthy, Dez was at his peak and the threat of the run gave Romo more options.

Truly think the 2014 team could of made the SB, even with Seattle still being a very good overall team. Just a team that could pound the opposing defenses into submission and Murray could lay the wood too.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I mean all of these teams are pretenders lol. This team hasn’t made a conference championship in years….those 12 and 14 win teams all were pretenders. 2007 team choked against a Giants team that barely made the playoffs.
With Jerry setting the culture and picking terrible HCs, it's amazing this team has done as well as it has.
Chalk that up to amazing talent acquisition.
Has any franchise done less with this level of talent?
It's nothing short of malfeasance.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
With Jerry setting the culture and picking terrible HCs, it's amazing this team has done as well as it has.
Chalk that up to amazing talent acquisition.
Has any franchise done less with this level of talent?
It's nothing short of malfeasance.
I say the same thing. We probably should be getting far worse results then what we get based on who’s in charge.