Best teams since 1996 Ranking

gtb1943

Reaction score
I’m judging the play I said nothing about Romo all I said was it was a dumb throw on 4th down. I can’t pacify you guys every time the discussion of Romo comes up. I can sit here and say he was a good quarterback for Dallas and someone would complain in taking shots at him. If I want to take a shot at him I’d bring up the things that have been argued to death and we know what they are.

I just don’t get how we can agree it was a low percentage throw but if I say it was a dumb throw it’s a shot at him?
Yes because you are calling him dumb'
and by the way if you had bothered to read the post about how Romo broke down that play you would eat your words

gtb1943

Reaction score
With Jerry setting the culture and picking terrible HCs, it's amazing this team has done as well as it has.
Chalk that up to amazing talent acquisition.
Has any franchise done less with this level of talent?
It's nothing short of malfeasance.
I can think of some teams that came so very close to winning it all and did not
Like the Bills teams of the 90's.
They were better than any team we have had since the 90's

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yes because you are calling him dumb'
and by the way if you had bothered to read the post about how Romo broke down that play you would eat your words
I never called Romo "dumb". Jesus lol.

And I stand by what I said. Throwing a deep pass to Dak on 4th and 2 to Dez on a go route is not a smart play or throw. Does that mean I think Romo is dumb? No lol.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Garrett yanked Romo and put in Sanchez, seemingly to avoid Romo leading the team to a win - which would have caused a controversy about who should be the starter for the playoffs.
This is why I will never forgive Garrett for that loss/season. They were too worried about a QB controversy rather than winning the post-season with the best QB.
Apparently, the Tony Romo you speak of is a completely different guy that I watched all of those years.. :facepalm:
Maybe but Romo was as good as good as any QB in the game his final 2-3 years. His knowledge of the game was epic. He was like an offensive coordinator on the field but his health failed him. This something you won't hear from many fans but I honestly think all the previous years he spent trying to become a pro golfer impacted his back. Remember I would have debates with other posters about whether or not he was risking his football health. But either way, we had a chance to see advanced knowledge in the broadcast booth.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Please just stick to the topic at hand. This can maybe not result in a put down thread based on which team or players you deem better. Give detailed rationale please.

1. 2014 Squad. Romo had already endured so many injuries when the league still allowed the ole land on the QB with all your weight. He had definitely mastered the offense and had a true elite rushing attack. Most opponents could not stop the rushing attack. The road game against the Seahawks demonstrated how vulnerable the Legion of Boom (and Dan Quinn’s defense) was to power running. Playaction devastated opponents when they tried loading the box. If Demarco Murray does not fumble in Green Bay, I’m not sure the Dez catch is a thing. That game was definitely a toss up-both offenses were dominant. Not sure what happens if they had advanced against Seattle, but I would have liked their chances against New England that particular year.

2. 2016 Squad. I went back and forth on this team or the 2014 squad for number one. Romo was definitely the better QB between the two in my opinion-especially in 2014, BUT the team’s defense was vastly superior in 2016 than 2014. Both squads had dominant rushing attacks and a prime Dez and Witten. Zeke was a superior weapon to Murray, but not enough to make some enormous difference. They had home field advantage against GB this time, but did not seem well prepared and had such a slow start that they were forced to come back and almost did.

3. 2007 Squad. This team had so many dominant performances throughout the regular season that I would typically think of them higher on this list, but I also remember how undisciplined they were at times and it came back to bite them at the worst moment in the playoffs. Owens was a nightmare to defend and the rushing attack was very strong with both Julius Jones and Martin Barber III. Young Jason Witten and Tony Romo looked on the cusp of something great, but maturity questions about this year are still asked today. Romo was shaky in this game and was not helped with steady play around. Dropped passes and very poor penalty decisions hurt the team against NY, and the less talented but more disciplined squad triumphed. They did not have as talented a squad until 2014.

4. 2022 Squad. The best defense that I have seen from the Cowboys in the past 28 seasons-as long as a healthy Hankins was playing. The lineman and linebackers were stout and vicious and the secondary got lots of turnovers, and played exceptionally well in both playoff games. The offense was not as dominant as the 2016 version without the elite rushing attack, but was still very strong with a very good Pollard, rookie Ferguson, Lamb, and solid play from the offensive line. Injuries damaged the team’s chances in the postseason (most notably Steele and Pollard).

The rest:

5. 2021
6. 2018
7. 1996 (year after last SB)
8. 2009
9. 2023
10. 1998
11. 2003
I agree with most of it. And it makes the Romo never played with a great defense look silly, as it should.

I love the Parcel's years and how he used Marion Barber. No Cowboys hc since knows how to use their top two RB's like Parcels did.

ArtClink

Reaction score
The teams from 2021 - 2023 were fool’s gold. Star studded in places it doesn’t matter as much as the trenches, plus completely unbalanced offenses.

Embarrassing against the run, even losing to a 3 (?) win AZ team that probably couldn’t beat Alabama. And yet the Jones’s have done nothing to improve the run defense for five years now.

How the team won 12 games three straight years is beyond me. I’ve never seen a team respond well to a coach with less than a year left on his contract. I doubt dudes who get tired by January are gonna change that.
If our defense the past 29 seasons could stop the run when it really counted, we wouldn't be dreaming of finally winning a div round playoff game almost 30 years later.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
I mean they ended up being one. I believe that was our best chance to win. Unfortunately.
I think we have different definitions of "pretenders." 07' seemed like a missed opportunity and I was totally shocked they lost to a team they swept in the regular season. 2023 didn't surprise me at all.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think we have different definitions of "pretenders." 07' seemed like a missed opportunity and I was totally shocked they lost to a team they swept in the regular season. 2023 didn't surprise me at all.
You felt that way in 2007 because at that point it had only been what? 9 years of misery....and even less then that when you factor in the hope we got when Romo came in for Bledsoe. We're going on 28 in 2023.....so no, nothing really shocks me at that point.

But you win 13 games and lose in the 1st round to a team in the Giants who barely even the made playoffs? Yes, I understand they peaked and won a SB but they didn't even really play that particularly well that game. I did not come out of that game thinking wow we got beat by a much more dominant team. Not at ll.

Flamma

Reaction score
2007, 2014, and 2016, in that order, were our best seasons. No other season did I think we were actually SB contenders.

I put 2007 first because we had a better offense and defense. Although Romo was a bit shaky, not as good as he was in 2014.

2014 and 2016 were very similar. Low turnover, ball control offense that hid our weak defense. Very similar teams. I put 2014 ahead because Dak was a rookie.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Even though they had clinched the no. 1 seed in week 15, I wanted the team to win the final two games to set the franchise single season record at 14-2. Cowboys beat the Lions, but in the season finale in Philadelphia, they decided to rest some starters. When Romo came in for Prescott and got that quick TD to take the lead, Garrett yanked Romo and put in Sanchez, seemingly to avoid Romo leading the team to a win - which would have caused a controversy about who should be the starter for the playoffs.
Having the first round bye, the Cowboys should have went with the regulars against the Eagles, instead of having a two-week layoff for many of the key starters.
The 2nd-seed Falcons were very strong in the playoffs, first pulling away from the Seahawks in the 2nd half of the divisional round game to win 36-20, then curbstomping the Packers...17-0 at halftime...37-15 lead going into the 4th qtr to eventually win the NFCCG.
But if Dallas would have beaten Green Bay, the championship game would have been at AT&T Stadium instead of the Georgia Dome.
In a close game - the Cowboys win over the Falcons to advance to the Super Bowl to play the Patriots at NRG Stadium in Houston.
I don't think you're remembering that last game right. Philly sat their starters.....they let Romo come in to knock some rust off I assume just in case if Dak got hurt in the playoffs they would've put Romo in. But that Philly team was too bad for there to be some controversy.

Motorola

Reaction score
I don't think you're remembering that last game right. Philly sat their starters.....they let Romo come in to knock some rust off I assume just in case if Dak got hurt in the playoffs they would've put Romo in. But that Philly team was too bad for there to be some controversy.
Eagles were 6-9 going into that game...that was Carson Wentz's rookie season, same as Prescott.
Eagles went all out- Wentz threw 2 TDs to TE Zach Ertz.
Overall no.2 pick started and played all 16 games.
It was the Cowboys who sat out starters.
It was a bad Eagles team - 5-9 after week 15, but won their final two games v. Giants and Cowboys at home.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Eagles were 6-9 going into that game...that was Carson Wentz's rookie season, same as Prescott.
Eagles went all out- Wentz threw 2 TDs to TE Zach Ertz.
Overall no.2 pick started and played all 16 games.
It was the Cowboys who sat out starters.
It was a bad Eagles team - 5-9 after week 15, but won their final two games v. Giants and Cowboys at home.
Yeah you're right I looked over the box score those weren't backups those were actual starters who get reps that year. My mistake. Just was a bad team lol.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought we would win it too. What I remember most about that game was our O line couldn't do anything against them in the second half.

It was tied at halftime, we had gone on some long scoring drives (96 & 90) & our O line seemed set up to wear them down. Instead they stoned us & we only score a measly FG.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought we would win it too. What I remember most about that game was our O line couldn't do anything against them in the second half.

It was tied at halftime, we had gone on some long scoring drives (96 & 90) & our O line seemed set up to wear them down. Instead they stoned us & we only score a measly FG.
Yup. That TD drive Dallas gave up right before halftime was a killer.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
for me it was the 2014 team
JG cost them that game not murray.
The underwear thief should have played that game.
Murray was tired and had a broken hand .

starfan1

Reaction score
Have at it. I already now post retirement you say anything about Romo on this site people are gonna come out the wood work. It was a low percentage throw but it was smart. Makes zero sense to me but ok.
Man you know the deal its like that with both of these QBs. Cant for the life of me figure out why we as fans are so invested in 2 QBs that aint accomplished jack squat.

is it just their fault ?

no not by a long shot but man people get butthurt so easy when you bring up either

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Man you know the deal its like that with both of these QBs. Cant for the life of me figure out why we as fans are so invested in 2 QBs that aint accomplished jack squat.

is it just their fault ?

no not by a long shot but man people get butthurt so easy when you bring up either
People got upset when I said they were the same guy lol…..and it wasn’t the pro Dak crowd either. DAKS my guy but even I can’t defend his last 3 playoff performances. But for whatever reason there are some here that will and will defend Romos playoff career.