Best War Movie Ever!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I consider Midway (2019) one of the best war movies I've ever seen. Why didn't y'all like it?
I dont want to crude and say the movie was garbage. But as a person who served as part of the Pac fleet.....it was pure garbage.

It reduced one of the most pivotal battles in our country's history into a Michael Bay type action film with weak character development crippled by turning real naval hero's like Dick Best into cliched WW2 archtypes.

It seemed like a film to me that just wanted to pull in the action fans, and skimped on the writing (depite the fact the plot is practically already written for them) and acting. A little more effort and they could have done something on the scope of We Were Soldiers. Which to me is good but not great. Not anywhere near Full Metal Jacket or Platoon country

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I consider Midway (2019) one of the best war movies I've ever seen. Why didn't y'all like it?
Let me just add, that I dont think have anything against those types of action/war films. However, doing that type of movie with something as storied as the battle of Midway isnt going to go over well with people. That a big reason why Midway and Pearl Harbor bombed at the box.

If thats the war film they want to make, going a subject not quite as hallowed is always the better choice

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I watch war movies, there are two things that draw me in, a well made movie like Saving Private Ryan or a movie about a significant part of a war. We Were Soldiers was America's actual first battle with North Vietnam, Hacksaw Ridge was about a different kind of conscientious objector, Battle of the Bulge , The Longest Day and Midway are about pivotal parts of the war and all three had to be successful to end the war successfully.

But as far as a war movie that captivated me because they added interviews with the men that actually lived that has got to be Band of Brothers. I watch that, and most of my military/war collection, once a year and really look forward to that. Tell ya what it does for me. It makes me forget about all of this BS going on now and just sit there in awe of the courage and sacrifices these men made. I fall in love with these guys all over again every time I watch it. And I feel just like Buck did, overwhelmed with sadness and hollow inside at the loss.

And think about it. Had Spielberg and Hanks not done Band of Brothers, they wouldn't have been shocked to discover there was no WWII monument to so many that gave so much.

I also like the latter war movies like 13, 12 Strong and American Soldiers.

Tim didn't stipulate era so I go for Glory and Gettysburg as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, think i may watch it again this weekend.
Only I watch that a little differently than when I first saw it. It's like watching Cowboys and Indian movies now and what England did to Africa was along the same lines as what was done to the Native Americans. Nothing says progress like gunpowder.

kskboys

Reaction score
I dont want to crude and say the movie was garbage. But as a person who served as part of the Pac fleet.....it was pure garbage.

It reduced one of the most pivotal battles in our country's history into a Michael Bay type action film with weak character development crippled by turning real naval hero's like Dick Best into cliched WW2 archtypes.

It seemed like a film to me that just wanted to pull in the action fans, and skimped on the writing (depite the fact the plot is practically already written for them) and acting. A little more effort and they could have done something on the scope of We Were Soldiers. Which to me is good but not great. Not anywhere near Full Metal Jacket or Platoon country
That actually explains well why I liked it. I'm not a war movie fan in general, and as you said, this was more of an action type film. Makes sense.

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Lawrence of Arabia.

David Lean, (Spielbergs favorite director) directed;

Lawrence of Arabia nominated for 10 Academy Awards, won 7

Bridge Over the River Kwai nominated for 8 Academy Awards won 7

Dr. Zhivago nominated for 10 Academy Awards won 5

Total 28 nominations and 19 winners.

Pretty impressive war movie trifecta right there.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
*that's hard to rate, though , as far as fire& maneuver combat goes? That scene from the movie HEAT where Bob De Niro and Val Kilmer were making good on their break out escape from the bank robbery ,where they were suddenly non-mobile,left afoot& saddled up with the burden of their plunder, flat out put it to it, on those attempting to cinch down the noose( that was a very well directed& about the most realistic "firefight" ever to hit the silver screen,er, other than actual combat footage)

Last edited:

rags

Reaction score
Just was wondering what is in your opinion the Best War Movie Ever. You can pick only 1.

So many to choose from.

I say overall for me it's

Saving Private Ryan

All the characters and story was well written.Opening scene is unforgettable.

Agreed!