Hurt Locker
Dunkirk
Lone Survivor
Full Metal Jacket
Glory
300 Rise of an Empire

quickccc

Reaction score
My favorite, and also from a film quality point of view (cinematography, editing, sound, music, etc) Full Metal Jacket is a clear choice, yet I still wouldnt say it is the best. Apocalypse Now might be my choice for best, but its a hard call. Frankly the vast majority of war films are middling mediocre films.

Good points, .

yeh, the more ancient age movies like Apocalypse Now and Dirty Dozen, etc, i really need to see again.

- and I'm not one to call Rambo movies a " war movies" - despite the Rambo solo action scenes because
most so based off rescue solo figure movies, ...

and there are other war movies that i like to a certain degree that i thin is Ok to watch but not a big wow me range
- such as Tom Cruise's Last Samurai.

- Full Metal Jacket is among my favorite military related movies, but it's not thoroughly a full fledge war action movie, the first half is
dealing with grind and gruel of boot camp training - mental abuse as such. and the post-dramatic issues.. the 2nd half is Sniper related,..

i- also really liked Inglorious Bastarrads and Enemy at the Gate, ..but the dialogue and pace in several spots, overrides the
action war scenes to a degree, imo.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being a history major I love all war/historical movies but I’m a stickler for accuracy which most fall short of.
I’m disgusted I haven’t seen the best war movie of all time, IMO, even mentioned. Not only was it arguably our nations most important war but the entire ~4 hour movie is all about possibly the most important battle during that war.

Ted Turner was a Civl War guru and he funded it, this movie does a very good job with accuracy IMO and is filled with A+ actors (Martin Sheen, Jeff Daniels, Thomas C Howell, Sam Elliott, Stephen Lang) just to name a few. Incredible battles scenes and sound.

Wait for it, wait for it...based on the battle and book Killer Angels...

GETTYSBURG

Do yourself a favor an watch it, it also has a “sequel” that is still very good but slower and it’s based off the book Gods and Generals (Killer Angels authors son wrote this book) and this was another Ted Turner film which is centered around Fredericksburg. There are a lot of the same actors playing different roles (Lang is Jackson instead of Pickett; Sheen who played Lee is replaced with Robert Duvall).

Its another ~4 hour film and this one is named after the book...GODS AND GENERALS

Hope some of you actually watch these, especially Gettysburg, I’d find it hard to believe you wouldn’t love it even if you’re not that interested in the Civil War. I’d be very interested to hear feedback from those who have actually seen it or after they see it.
Beg your pardon, I mentioned Gettysburg and Glory but I think the thread was moving in a more WWII direction, which is what most people think about war movies. The Patriot is also a war movie but I didn't see it mentioned.

As good a Gettysburg was, Gods and Generals was unwatchable because of the preponderance of dialogue. Stephen Lang breaking into speech was as annoying as Mama Mia.

I think Gettysburg captured one part of the Civil War very well. If anyone has studied Robert E. Lee, Martin Sheen's portrayal of his religious and "I am on the right side because God is on my side" dominance of his person was pretty dead on. He actually thought he was fighting a Holy War. He was an educated and learned man and that just goes to show you how strong conviction can motivate someone. According to Lee, ZZ TOP was wrong, Jesus was never in Chicago because he never left New Orleans, never crossed that Mason-Dixon line.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Being a history major I love all war/historical movies but I’m a stickler for accuracy which most fall short of.
I’m disgusted I haven’t seen the best war movie of all time, IMO, even mentioned. Not only was it arguably our nations most important war but the entire ~4 hour movie is all about possibly the most important battle during that war.

Ted Turner was a Civl War guru and he funded it, this movie does a very good job with accuracy IMO and is filled with A+ actors (Martin Sheen, Jeff Daniels, Thomas C Howell, Sam Elliott, Stephen Lang) just to name a few. Incredible battles scenes and sound.

Wait for it, wait for it...based on the battle and book Killer Angels...

GETTYSBURG

Do yourself a favor an watch it, it also has a “sequel” that is still very good but slower and it’s based off the book Gods and Generals (Killer Angels authors son wrote this book) and this was another Ted Turner film which is centered around Fredericksburg. There are a lot of the same actors playing different roles (Lang is Jackson instead of Pickett; Sheen who played Lee is replaced with Robert Duvall).

Its another ~4 hour film and this one is named after the book...GODS AND GENERALS

Hope some of you actually watch these, especially Gettysburg, I’d find it hard to believe you wouldn’t love it even if you’re not that interested in the Civil War. I’d be very interested to hear feedback from those who have actually seen it or after they see it.
I love Civil War history so It's strange that I've never even heard of this movie. It looks like a pretty great cast too. I'm not sure I was getting TNT at the time so that may be why I missed it. I just looked and you can stream it on Amazon for 2.99 so I will check it out.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love Civil War history so It's strange that I've never even heard of this movie. It looks like a pretty great cast too. I'm not sure I was getting TNT at the time so that may be why I missed it. I just looked and you can stream it on Amazon for 2.99 so I will check it out.
Gettysburg was first rate and Jeff Daniels was great in it. Even C. Thomas Howell couldn't ruin it.

When I moved to PA, we were close to Gettysburg and made our first, of many, trips and standing there on the Pickett's Charge field and on Big and Little Round Top and taking in all that happened in a very small area was mind boggling. I had always assumed the Battle of Gettysburg was on a much grander scale over a much larger area. I never considered what the people that lived in the town of Gettysburg were going through while 50,000 boys and men died around them.

aria

Reaction score
Gettysburg was first rate and Jeff Daniels was great in it. Even C. Thomas Howell couldn't ruin it.

When I moved to PA, we were close to Gettysburg and made our first, of many, trips and standing there on the Pickett's Charge field and on Big and Little Round Top and taking in all that happened in a very small area was mind boggling. I had always assumed the Battle of Gettysburg was on a much grander scale over a much larger area. I never considered what the people that lived in the town of Gettysburg were going through while 50,000 boys and men died around them.
I was actually surprised how surprised small Little Round Top was but the Picketts Charge field was about the size I had pictured in my mind. That place is incredible, I can’t wait to go back.

As an added bonus, we went when it wasn’t the busy season and stayed at the Farnsworth INN was is still riddled with bullet holes. They were also shooting some sort of documentary nearby and the bar at the hotel was loaded with reinactors who looked like they just walked off the battlefield. I bought them a few drinks and got my picture with them, the whole thing was pretty surreal.

If you like to read, I highly recommend Rebel Yell by S.C Gwynn, it’s about ”Stonewall Jackson”. It starts off a little dry and slow talking about the early part of his life and the Mexican War but it really picks up and left me in awe of the things he did and how important he was to Lee. One of the best books I’ve read in the past couple of years.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score

I went to Gettysburg and Fredericksburg when I was a kid but was a little too young to appreciate what I was seeing. It's definitely something I want to do again as an adult.

The name C. Thomas Howell always makes me think of the great David Spade Hollywood bit on Saturday Night Live. "C. Thomas Howell...luckily we don't have to anymore."

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Good points, .

yeh, the more ancient age movies like Apocalypse Now and Dirty Dozen, etc, i really need to see again.

- and I'm not one to call Rambo movies a " war movies" - despite the Rambo solo action scenes because

and there are other war movies that i like to a certain degree that i thin is Ok to watch but not a big wow me range

- Full Metal Jacket is among my favorite military related movies, but it's not thoroughly a full fledge war action movie, the first half is
dealing with grind and gruel of boot camp training - mental abuse as such. and the post-dramatic issues.. the 2nd half is Sniper related,..

i- also really liked Inglorious Bastarrads and Enemy at the Gate, ..but the dialogue and pace in several spots, overrides the

Rambo is based off on a true story.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've read it was inspired by Audie Murphy. And several other actors were considered before him including Burt Reynolds, De Niro and a few others.
My childhood hero as he was from Arkansas and To Hell In Back was my favorite movie for a long time. He was a terrible actor but I didn't care.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good points, .

I am pretty easy with the War category with the Missing in Action and Rambo movies.

There are three war movies, both based on fact, that get me too riled up. 13 Hours, Hamburger Hill and Black Hawk Down. Wasted bravery and courage of good men for nothing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am pretty easy with the War category with the Missing in Action and Rambo movies.

There are three war movies, both based on fact, that get me too riled up. 13 Hours, Hamburger Hill and Black Hawk Down. Wasted bravery and courage of good men for nothing.
Make that four movies as I just watched The Outpost last night. Very good but riled me up.

Makes me wonder just how lucky we were to win WWII.

Londonboy

Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

The true story of Douglas Bader, who lost both legs in a training accident, but carried on regardless and became a highly decorated fighter pilot in WW2.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Most of my favs have already been mentioned, but there are a couple that haven't.

Sergeant York with Gary Cooper, one of my favs as a kid staying up late watching the late movies before cable TV
Gallipoli with a young Mel Gibson, great WWI movie, a classic