'Better Call Saul' - Season 2

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Some predictions.

Hector is going to finally have that stroke he so richly deserves.

It's not going to work out the way Nacho hoped though. Someone worse than hector will be put in charge until Tuco is out of jail.

Somebody is going to die soon. Smart money would be on Chuck, but maybe it's Howard. I think the title "Lantern" has something to do with it.

Kim ain't going to die, she's going to break bad. Something tells me the Mesa Verde guy and the oil guy are both dirty. She gets involved in money laundering. I think the mention of "Ice Station Zebra" in BB is Kim's operation.

No more BCS or Fargo after this week for at least a year. I has a sad.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Some predictions.

Hector is going to finally have that stroke he so richly deserves.

It's not going to work out the way Nacho hoped though. Someone worse than hector will be put in charge until Tuco is out of jail.

Somebody is going to die soon. Smart money would be on Chuck, but maybe it's Howard. I think the title "Lantern" has something to do with it.

Kim ain't going to die, she's going to break bad. Something tells me the Mesa Verde guy and the oil guy are both dirty. She gets involved in money laundering. I think the mention of "Ice Station Zebra" in BB is Kim's operation.

No more BCS or Fargo after this week for at least a year. I has a sad.
I like the predictions, can't argue with any of them except Kim breaking bad, although it was entertaining to just chew on for a minute...maybe you're right.

The year wait is a bummer. The trick is to stay occupied by something else to fill that void. I'll re-watch Breaking Bad and the Better Call Saul and we do have Cowboys football coming soon to fill a few months.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
They could go right into and through Breaking Bad days and go beyond. Is anyone interested in learning more about Gene the Cinnabon manager?

Good point about goi g into BB days.

Yes. I would like to see him (Gene) get back "in the business"... Saul Goodman turns into Gene who turns into Gene Hackman. I just like the sound of the last name.... Jimmy/Saul/gene is a hack! (no connection to actor)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
...and season 3 comes to a close. Season 4 is a given even though they haven't announced it yet. Still collecting my thoughts on the episode tonight. I'll chew on that and view the rebroadcast after Talkin Saul before I have anything further to say.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Chuck's death is his own fault, an involuntary suicide. I'm sure this will effect Jimmy in a negative way and who knows, may cause Jimmy to adopt some of Chuck's shark-like lawyering when he goes full blown "Saul Goodman".

Kim's accident has her shaken and questioning herself and it is effecting her relationship with Jimmy. Before the accident when Jimmy said the words, "I'll fix this" Kim stopped him and said, "no, you do not fix me, I fix me" but now that she is on the mend and Jimmy once again says, "I'll fix this" Kim just looked into his eyes and kissed him. She is all in on their relationship and she clearly is relying more on him than the Kim that we have known in the past. Jimmy clearly cares about Kim too... only a man that cares about her would pick up all those legal papers scattered about the sight of her accident. Closing down their office and seeing Kim take Jimmy's rolodex out of the garbage gives a clue to where here practice will be focused in the future.

Nacho's plan finally worked but is he in the clear? It seemed to me that Gus was on to him but was content to remain silent about it for now. Watching Hector allowed himself to get so riled up that he had a serious heart attack or stroke was so satisfying but I didn't expect to see Gus spring into action to save his life.

rynochop

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get why Gus seemed suspicious of him with that sideways look. Don't get why he tried to save him either, it's like he knew he'd become a vegetable and would rather see him suffer with that. Banged up Kim in pajama pants is sexy as hell.lol just a side observation

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't get why Gus seemed suspicious of him with that sideways look. Don't get why he tried to save him either, it's like he knew he'd become a vegetable and would rather see him suffer with that. Banged up Kim in pajama pants is sexy as hell.lol just a side observation
Gus wants to dictate the suffering that Hector will go thru.....it is ironic that Hector ultimately kills Gus when Gus could have let him die there in the yard

Kim just wants to be a regular lawyer....... she can't stay will Jimmy and she is bored with corporate law

Howard really is a nice guy.... he helps Chuck for years with his 'illness' ...he pays off Kim's loans and genuinely wishes her well...... he wasn't the one who wanted Jimmy out, it was Chuck

Chuck's is the biggest factor is Saul's creation...... Jimmy tried his whole life to walk the line and impress Chuck but in the end Chuck resented Jimmy's short cuts and the idea they were colleagues.... Chuck's death will make it easy for Saul Goodman to take over

Very creative prequel

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Chuck's last speech to Jimmy about having no regrets is a direct road map to becoming Saul. All that's left is the destruction of his relationship with Kim (Season 4's arc?) and he'll have no one left to say sorry to. No one else to have a regret about hurting with his screw ups.

I've been watching some BB over again, and the personality of Saul differs so much that I was having a hard time seeing how they'd do the transition, but Chuck' speech lays it all out. Why waste time regretting anything he does? That's Saul to a tee. For Chuck's last words to be "You never really meant much to me" was pretty harsh.

Chuck's suicide was not involuntary though, he actively kicked that lantern over with loose papers and exposed insulation everywhere.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jimmy referred to Kim's backslide into couch potato mode as "Relax-a-thon 2003" so that is a good nod to the viewers when this happen in time... the Blockbuster was a nice touch too. There is no indicator in this episode she is bored of Jimmy, I see quite the opposite. I think the pathology of that relationship's undoing lies in the wake of Chuck's speech to Jimmy... not having anyone to say sorry to, no one to answer to, no one to hurt. All of which we have not seen yet.

I don't think Howard is the nice guy that I see others saying he is. Yes he paid for Kim's education as a lawyer but he was holding it over her head and treating her like dirt having her excessively doing "doc review" and trying to take the Mesa Verde account away from her before she quit him. Chuck was clearly the legal brains behind H H & M, not Howard. And does Chuck's death mean Jimmy inherits Chuck's retirement settlement with Howard?

I'm not convinced that Chuck's kicking the table and thereby knocking the lantern to the floor was such an intentional act and therefore reluctant to call it a straight up suicide. The flammable fodder in the floor was not there to be fuel for a fire, rather it was a result of his overreaction to thinking some mysterious power source was in the walls and going nuts to find it. He was in a semi-conscious state with his eyes closed at the time the fire ignited so he will no doubt be engulfed in flames. The question, "is chuck dead" seems almost foolish. Stepping back and reading the tea leaves... Chuck is dead.

As the Ambulance is pulling away we see Gus giving Nacho the side eyes and Nacho looks as if he feels the gaze of Gus burning on his skin. Gus's ride is gone so it makes sense that Nacho would give Gus a ride and then is when they probably discuss the pill swap. I think Gus sets Nacho free from the business to make amends with his father. He's not in breaking Bad.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I think Gus sets Nacho free from the business to make amends with his father. He's not in breaking Bad.

There might be a reference to Nacho's character in Saul's initial appearance on Breaking Bad. When Saul is held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse, Saul (mistakenly thinking that people sent by a person named Lalo are holding him at gunpoint) says "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio."

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
There might be a reference to Nacho's character in Saul's initial appearance on Breaking Bad. When Saul is held at gunpoint by Walt and Jesse, Saul (mistakenly thinking that people sent by a person named Lalo are holding him at gunpoint) says "it wasn't me, it was Ignacio."
I remember reading an interview last year with the actor that plays Ignacio "Nacho" Varga and he is asked about that reference that Saul made about "Ignacio" in Breaking Bad but he didn't know if that was a reference to his character in Better Call Saul or a different Ignacio. I'll post it here if I can find it.

Here it is... March 2016, before season 3 started.
http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/better-call-saul-michael-mando-nacho-dilemma.html

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@MichaelWinicki there is a new campy grind house style over the top show on SYFY called Blood Drive. Tonight is only the second episode but you might want to give it a try. Really hoke and silly but still kind of fun.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Chuck's death is his own fault, an involuntary suicide. I'm sure this will effect Jimmy in a negative way and who knows, may cause Jimmy to adopt some of Chuck's shark-like lawyering when he goes full blown "Saul Goodman".

Kim's accident has her shaken and questioning herself and it is effecting her relationship with Jimmy. Before the accident when Jimmy said the words, "I'll fix this" Kim stopped him and said, "no, you do not fix me, I fix me" but now that she is on the mend and Jimmy once again says, "I'll fix this" Kim just looked into his eyes and kissed him. She is all in on their relationship and she clearly is relying more on him than the Kim that we have known in the past. Jimmy clearly cares about Kim too... only a man that cares about her would pick up all those legal papers scattered about the sight of her accident. Closing down their office and seeing Kim take Jimmy's rolodex out of the garbage gives a clue to where here practice will be focused in the future.

Nacho's plan finally worked but is he in the clear? It seemed to me that Gus was on to him but was content to remain silent about it for now. Watching Hector allowed himself to get so riled up that he had a serious heart attack or stroke was so satisfying but I didn't expect to see Gus spring into action to save his life.

Gus is suspicious because he plans and calculates and it is something he probably would do. Lol
Plus their was focus on "here this is what medication he is taking" ... Gus automatically thinks... he knows what meds he is taking. Plus Gus knows these guys are always looking to replace the old with the new.

Gus is serious business man. He doesn't rush to whacking or taking someone out. He is more calculated. A lie in wait peorsonality.

Side theory. Maybe Gus and nacho were in it. Their plan?

Gus springs into action to save him because it is in his best interest to never have it look like he took out the old man.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

I do wonder... how many stories can they really go into here?

Could they connect this prequel to a potential sequel to BB.

Gene ends his BCS series by hooking up with Jesse post BB?

Diary of a Pinkman... lol

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Gus is suspicious because he plans and calculates and it is something he probably would do. Lol
Plus their was focus on "here this is what medication he is taking" ... Gus automatically thinks... he knows what meds he is taking. Plus Gus knows these guys are always looking to replace the old with the new.

Gus is serious business man. He doesn't rush to whacking or taking someone out. He is more calculated. A lie in wait peorsonality.

Side theory. Maybe Gus and nacho were in it. Their plan?

Gus springs into action to save him because it is in his best interest to never have it look like he took out the old man.
I completely agree. Let's not forget that there is one other person that was in on the pill swap plan... Mike, who when last seen was shaking hands with Gus as a business partner. It's likely Mike had informed Gus that Nacho is an ally in getting rid of Hector. I believe Gus was fully in the know of Nacho's plan before he even arrived at the scene of the crime so to speak.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I completely agree. Let's not forget that there is one other person that was in on the pill swap plan... Mike, who when last seen was shaking hands with Gus as a business partner. It's likely Mike had informed Gus that Nacho is an ally in getting rid of Hector. I believe Gus was fully in the know of Nacho's plan before he even arrived at the scene of the crime so to speak.

Bingo!!

(Not Jimmy "old folks home" Bingo... but bingo nonetheless) lol

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Mike is a puppet master of sorts... in both shows!

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Season 3 was really good although I'm not sure I liked it quite as much as the first two, but still really good all the same.

I agree with so many comments on this season finale that I've seen in this thread.

It would appear that Gus knows, or suspects, Nacho for what has gone on. I wouldn't doubt in the least that Mike gave him a heads up as to what is happening but I also wouldn't be surprised if he simply picked up on something being wrong by the way Nacho was acting during the entire incident. The fact that he so calmly picked up the pills, while his boss is possibly dying, just so he could make sure he had them? It probably set off a glaring red flag for a guy like Gus. Either way it's pretty clear he knows and is going to see this as either an asset or a problem.

I don't know if Nacho is the same one that Saul is referring to in Breaking Bad but something tells me, gut feeling, that it's not. I don't know where they go from here with Nacho. I do believe this attack is going to be the one that puts Hector into the state in which we see him in through out all of Breaking Bad.

The reason Gus saves him is so glaringly simple for anyone who watched BB. Gus wants Hector to suffer for the way Hector treated his family when he first game into this business. There is no doubt that Gus didn't want Hector to go out so easily. This could also be why Gus could eventually see this as a problem with Nacho because he'll be pissed that Nacho almost took him out before Gus could be the one to do so. It's obvious (From BB) that punishing, and ultimately being the end, of Hector was the plan for Gus all along. It is awesome work though that they added this in due to the fact that those of us who loved BB know that Hector, ultimately, kills Gus (With the help of Walt).

I don't see Kim going into any Breaking Bad sort of situation. I do believe that this is the catalyst for her becoming all in with Jimmy that will ultimately lead to Jimmy hurting her, as the last person he has left, and it will be the final piece that is broken before Jimmy goes full Saul Goodman. I agree with the others that the speech by Chuck will be what starts sending him down that path where he ultimately hurts Kim. He will realize, next season, that Kim is the only person left that matters to him and that he can't be who he really is as long as he's got her to think about. So he'll ultimately ruin the relationship for his own personal gains later.

And you saw a small glimpse of just how terrible he can be, as Saul, with the way he played that poor old lady. Getting all her friends to hate her just to get his money but as we all saw he was still too much Jimmy, and not enough Saul, to where he had to fix it.

Chuck will be dead. Or at best fighting for his life when the new season starts and it will begin the end of Jimmy. The speech from Chuck, Chuck's death, everything will finally crash down onto Jimmy and force him to where he's always been headed anyway. Which, in the end, sort of makes Chuck completely right (Even if he is a big part of why Jimmy is that way) because in the end Jimmy is always going to burn every single bridge in his life to get things the way he wants them regardless of what it takes, or who it tramples on.

Right now Jimmy still has a heart, and it causes him to try and fix his mistakes, but by the end of next season he won't have that heart anymore. He'll be full blown Saul Goodman.

I was bummed the season ended with no Mike in it. He's one of my absolute favorite characters from either show.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Season 3 was really good although I'm not sure I liked it quite as much as the first two, but still really good all the same.

It's funny. I felt the same way exact way.
And I was trying to figure out why?

Answer: lots of familiar pieces/characters from BB... Tie in's... explanations. Mysteries explained. Less stimulating second go round.