Better late than never

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones was a guest of PFT yesterday, and among several comments, this one stuck out to me in particular:

Jerry Jones also addressed the looming changes to the offense, and Stephen Jones hinted that there may be different looks aimed at keeping defenses on their heels.

“I think the biggest thing is marrying everything up, so that we’re a little harder to diagnose when we snap the ball,” Stephen Jones said.

That’s a not-so-subtle indictment regarding the ease with which defensive had diagnosed them in the past. While it’s good that they’re realizing the issue now, it’s strange they didn’t spot it sooner.

It’s definitely something that everyone will be paying attention to in the future.

Though nobody will ever publicly say it, that's as close to an admission that Scott Linehan and his offense was woefully bland and predictable. And that predictability did a disservice to the talented players this team has.

And now, we all hope that Kellen Moore can succeed in doing a better job and be more creative and unpredictable.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This will be interesting in TC, though in PS games, it will still be vanilla. But hopefully we get some decent TC reports on as to what they will possibly do.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Stephen Jones was a guest of PFT yesterday, and among several comments, this one stuck out to me in particular:

Jerry Jones also addressed the looming changes to the offense, and Stephen Jones hinted that there may be different looks aimed at keeping defenses on their heels.

“I think the biggest thing is marrying everything up, so that we’re a little harder to diagnose when we snap the ball,” Stephen Jones said.

That’s a not-so-subtle indictment regarding the ease with which defensive had diagnosed them in the past. While it’s good that they’re realizing the issue now, it’s strange they didn’t spot it sooner.

It’s definitely something that everyone will be paying attention to in the future.

Though nobody will ever publicly say it, that's as close to an admission that Scott Linehan and his offense was woefully bland and predictable. And that predictability did a disservice to the talented players this team has.

And now, we all hope that Kellen Moore can succeed in doing a better job and be more creative and unpredictable.

I just read another thread about marrying Dak up to a rich runway model :laugh:. Hope springs eternal on Moore but I have no expectations at this point. First year OC? hmmmmm

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think that players have executed. But, much like the Rams game defensively, it's hard to succeed when the other guy knows what you're doing.

No question, that was on Linehan. Read a tweet last week where a beat writer said Belichick system ( offensive and defense ) is tweaked every week for the very reason you mention. Hard to believe Linehan wasn't doing this but it's a head coach issue also.

Reaction score
The first step is throwing to set up the run not vice versa, or at least being in passing sets (3-4 wide) to run against nickel most of the time. This is the Rams blueprint that we were all clamoring for for a long while

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

Needs to happen on Defense too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No question, that was on Linehan. Read a tweet last week where a beat writer said Belichick system ( offensive and defense ) is tweaked every week for the very reason you mention. Hard to believe Linehan wasn't doing this but it's a head coach issue also.

Belicheck plays chess while we play checkers.

Moves like that are why his teams are always in the hunt for championships.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Needs to happen on Defense too.

Most definitely. That's why I mentioned that too. Old Man River had better have figured out his tells, or it won't matter what kind of talent we've added.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Watch that Boise/OU bowl game

Thats our new O

Same coaching tree lineages

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If that dig was at linehan then it was also at Garrett.

Both Jerry and Stephen's comments about expecting to be improved are very much putting Garrett and by extension the entire coaching staff on notice.

And their actions by not giving their head coach any sort of an extension show that.

"Win or we'll find someone who can."