Better late than never

Maxmadden

Reaction score
Creativity really isn't the most important. The main thing is to be unpredictable.
Norv Turner was never that creative but he was always unpredictable.
But creativity is a lot more fun to watch.
Hope KM doesn't over think it.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Both Jerry and Stephen's comments about expecting to be improved are very much putting Garrett and by extension the entire coaching staff on notice.

And their actions by not giving their head coach any sort of an extension show that.

"Win or we'll find someone who can."
Not really. Jerry over hypes the season every year. They waited until his final season of contract to extend last time as well. Some fans are attempting to read too much into it. Which is Jerry’s intention. Any type of press sells. He’s our lead cheerleader.

DanA

Reaction score
Creativity really isn't the most important. The main thing is to be unpredictable.
Norv Turner was never that creative but he was always unpredictable.
But creativity is a lot more fun to watch.
Hope KM doesn't over think it.

I agree with this.

Linehan was actually quite creative and implemented some complicated, subtle blocking which was unique to us. But when we got to the red zone he'd pull out a "surprise" play way too often which lead to Noah Brown, Jamize Olawale or Rico Gathers being targeted. If I see that sort of stuff again, I'll puke. It's like in boxing, if your best punch is a left hook, you don't stop throwing left hooks, your best chance of putting him on the canvas is still gonna be that left hook. You just have to set it up a bit different to surprise your opponent, give him a look that he reads wrong, or hasn't seen before.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
No question, that was on Linehan. Read a tweet last week where a beat writer said Belichick system ( offensive and defense ) is tweaked every week for the very reason you mention. Hard to believe Linehan wasn't doing this but it's a head coach issue also.
Of course Belicheat tweeks his system, puts in different plays and formations weekly. This is the NFL! All these players and coaches do is practice and study football. You would be stupid not to change things up weekly.

It was obvious Garrett and Linehan were to predictable. When a team has a really good idea what you are going to do it is much harder to do it. How does Garrett not understand that? Let’s run the ball right up the middle with Zek on 4th down vs Donald an Suh! Smart Football? or predictable stupid football?

MojaveJT

Reaction score
Welcome to modern day footballl SJ! Hopefully JG will get the picture.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The bottom line is we are a talent dependent team. Where we have greater talent than the opposition we excel. If we don’t like at QB, we struggle.

We need a QB who can read defenses at the LOS and call audibles or kill the call played then extend the play if needed making plays with his arm downfield.

Coaching isn’t a strength Jerry will allow. As badly as we needed an OC guru, what do we do? We hire probably the most inexperienced OC in the league who’s only served as a QB coach one season. Brilliant. Lol

We did the same thing with Garrett as OC then HC several years ago. And we wonder why we have issues. And why we’re talent dependent.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones was a guest of PFT yesterday, and among several comments, this one stuck out to me in particular:

Jerry Jones also addressed the looming changes to the offense, and Stephen Jones hinted that there may be different looks aimed at keeping defenses on their heels.

“I think the biggest thing is marrying everything up, so that we’re a little harder to diagnose when we snap the ball,” Stephen Jones said.

That’s a not-so-subtle indictment regarding the ease with which defensive had diagnosed them in the past. While it’s good that they’re realizing the issue now, it’s strange they didn’t spot it sooner.

It’s definitely something that everyone will be paying attention to in the future.

Though nobody will ever publicly say it, that's as close to an admission that Scott Linehan and his offense was woefully bland and predictable. And that predictability did a disservice to the talented players this team has.

And now, we all hope that Kellen Moore can succeed in doing a better job and be more creative and unpredictable.

I happy that Linehan is gone; however, in the years with Dez as the #1 WR, they couldn't run a complicated offense.

Then in 2018 they started the season with multiple WRs that were new to the team including the rookie Gallup who was eventually a starter.

Now that they have Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, etc., it will be much easier to trick things up.

They also had a rookie LG next to a backup playing Center in 2018 which required as much simplification as possible to start the season.

stiletto

Reaction score
It's pretty sad it took ownership as long as it did to recognize the issue especially considering most here have been saying it for years....(including Garrett's time as OC). It has been a terrible offense since he brought it. I am hopeful for many new looks this season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I happy that Linehan is gone; however, in the years with Dez as the #1 WR, they couldn't run a complicated offense.

Then in 2018 they started the season with multiple WRs that were new to the team including the rookie Gallup who was eventually a starter.

Now that they have Cooper, Gallup, Cobb, etc., it will be much easier to trick things up.

They also had a rookie LG next to a backup playing Center in 2018 which required as much simplification as possible to start the season.

Even if you wanted to blame Dez, he wouldn’t cause the entire offense to have to be ‘dumbed down’, but just his role.

Remember also that they started 2018 with receivers that Linehan wanted and not those he didn’t. He got everything he wanted last year. And still failed.

Good riddance.

kskboys

Reaction score
Stephen Jones was a guest of PFT yesterday, and among several comments, this one stuck out to me in particular:

Jerry Jones also addressed the looming changes to the offense, and Stephen Jones hinted that there may be different looks aimed at keeping defenses on their heels.

“I think the biggest thing is marrying everything up, so that we’re a little harder to diagnose when we snap the ball,” Stephen Jones said.

That’s a not-so-subtle indictment regarding the ease with which defensive had diagnosed them in the past. While it’s good that they’re realizing the issue now, it’s strange they didn’t spot it sooner.

It’s definitely something that everyone will be paying attention to in the future.

Though nobody will ever publicly say it, that's as close to an admission that Scott Linehan and his offense was woefully bland and predictable. And that predictability did a disservice to the talented players this team has.

And now, we all hope that Kellen Moore can succeed in doing a better job and be more creative and unpredictable.
Non football people running a franchise.

kskboys

Reaction score
No doubt Moore is going to TRY and be more creative. He has the advantage of knowing what got Linehan fired. But Moore alone won't cut-it, players have to execute.
Or change it up themselves.

Not to be dismissed was Cooper stating how he was tired of running right at DB's and just turning around.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even if you wanted to blame Dez, he wouldn’t cause the entire offense to have to be ‘dumbed down’, but just his role.

Remember also that they started 2018 with receivers that Linehan wanted and not those he didn’t. He got everything he wanted last year. And still failed.

Good riddance.

My point is not to defend Linehan but to point out that moves they've been making with players point to a team commitment to a less predictable offense by getting smart and versatile players.

In the past:
Dez very very limited mentally and as a route runner. Very unpredictable.
TWill not the brightest bulb in the box.
Beasley great in his niche short area but limited to his niche other than an occasion play where the defense was caught by surprise.

They got Tavon Austin in 2018 but he was injured much of the time.

In that final game the offense looked much different (I'm convinced that Kellen Moore got a trial run as OC in that game).

Some of the changes compared to game 1 of 2018:
Cooper
Gallup with NFL starting experience.
Cobb
Tony Pollard
Frederick hopefully back to normal.
Many options at LG better than a rookie that needed to gain weight.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Kellen Moore is the biggest question mark entering the 2019 season. It could be good, or it could be a disaster. If it is a disaster, look for Garrett to step back in to call plays, just like he did in 2013 after Bill Callahan got off to such a dismal start to the season.

kskboys

Reaction score
Kellen Moore is the biggest question mark entering the 2019 season. It could be good, or it could be a disaster. If it is a disaster, look for Garrett to step back in to call plays, just like he did in 2013 after Bill Callahan got off to such a dismal start to the season.
Garrett's going to be calling plays? Who told you this?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There were several challenges in 2016 and 2017. When push came to shove, the contingencies didn't pan out for one reason or another.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
The first step is throwing to set up the run not vice versa, or at least being in passing sets (3-4 wide) to run against nickel most of the time. This is the Rams blueprint that we were all clamoring for for a long while

Sorry, I disagree here. That’s not the problem. Run to set up the play action pass is what this team is about and that shouldn’t and won’t change. But they can be more creative out of different formations and use some more motion. They’ve had a lot of success in the past when Zeke has run out of the spread offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My point is not to defend Linehan but to point out that moves they've been making with players point to a team commitment to a less predictable offense by getting smart and versatile players.

In the past:
Dez very very limited mentally and as a route runner. Very unpredictable.
TWill not the brightest bulb in the box.
Beasley great in his niche short area but limited to his niche other than an occasion play where the defense was caught by surprise.

They got Tavon Austin in 2018 but he was injured much of the time.

Austin was also barely used when he was healthy, despite putting up career numbers with the opportunities he did get. That's on Linehan.

In that final game the offense looked much different (I'm convinced that Kellen Moore got a trial run as OC in that game).

I agree. And who knew we actually had a TE?

Some of the changes compared to game 1 of 2018:
Cooper
Gallup with NFL starting experience.
Cobb
Tony Pollard
Frederick hopefully back to normal.
Many options at LG better than a rookie that needed to gain weight.

Much more for Moore to work with, no doubt.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does the "certain person" look like he belongs in a circus?

I have far too much class than to name names, but I will give hints.

7WBKcch.jpg