Better or worse

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
That depends on the interpretation of "better".

Suppose the Cowboys go 10-7 and reach the NFC game which they lose.

Is that better or worse?

The Cowboys go 13-4 only to lose in their first playoff game again? Is that really any better?

Cowboys go 9-8, winning the tie breaker for division champion (It was a very tough year for the NFC East). They win the wildcard round but lose in the division round by a last minute field goal. Better or worse?
Better or worse will be defined by play off success. They can rack up all the regular season wins and stats they want, if it's a one and done in the play offs it means absolutely nothing.

Same thing the other way round. They barely make the play offs with a lot of bad regular season performances but pick up the pace in post season and march to the NFCCG, it's been a better season.

Really simple.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We'll be worse but not by much. We still make the playoffs and get bounced in the first round.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
I expect repeated playoff failures, if they even make the playoffs, as long as 4 is the QB.

ArtClink

Reaction score
Will we be a better team this year or worse?
Worse. Too many losses to free agency and almost no activity by the front office. Plus we have a lame duck head coach, a QB who Jerry has taken every opportunity to tick off, and a 12 win schedule. Depth has always been a problem for a Jones built roster. 9-8 is my prediction unless Dak gets hurt.

Techsass

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only area where I see an opportunity for improvement right now is on defense. And all of that comes from the possibility that Mike Zimmer will install a more fundamentally sound system.
I'm really hoping Diggs is back to where he was before he got injured. Bland had a few hickups as the season wore on, but Harris should get him back on track. We all praised Diggs for his INT's his rookie season, but he has been a much better DB since then.

We've redone the LBs. I'm not sure if they'll actually be any better than what we had, but they should be.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
On paper the Cowboys are better. They jettisoned Tyron Smith finally. He’s a 1st ballot HOF’er but is past his prime and can’t play a full season. Then they drafted 2 dogs on the offensive line. The Cowboys have been so weak in the trenches and now they’ve got some bulldozers. That will help the offense be more unpredictable if they can find a RB. Maybe Rico’s the guy or someone not on the team yet. It’s only July after all.

On defense they’ve improved a bunch, IMO, just by the hiring of Zimmer. They also invested a high draft pick on the D line and have young guys coming back from injury and young guys ready to make their mark.

shabazz

Reaction score
All signs point to us being worse but you never know.
A much tougher schedule, loss of starters, lame duck HC and QB, and numerous disgruntled players........I'm seeing another 12 win season in the bag

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A much tougher schedule, loss of starters, lame duck HC and QB, and numerous disgruntled players........I'm seeing another 12 win season in the bag
Usually when expectations are low, we have a better than expected season. We’ll see if that continues to hold up.

Bagman

Reaction score
With TV revenue, ticket prices and merchandise going up......the Jones' think we'll have a better year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It’s hard to gauge how any NFL season will go for any team. Usually the teams that were good the previous year tend to be good the following year, but key injuries can change a lot of things especially if you lose your QB. There seems to always be at least one team that’s way better than expected. With the added game and the prospects for an 18th game, the NFL season has become a marathon. Every team hits a few bumps at some point. Your chances always come down to how you’re playing in December and January. You want to hit your stride by the playoffs. The problem with the Cowboys is they tend to peak early then begin to level out and fade. Their best football last season was the first two weeks of the season. It’s caused the expectations to skyrocket for some fans. One fan got so excited he posted that he would be surprised if the Cowboys lost a game. :rolleyes:

They ended up being dominated the next week by a bad AZ team. You can’t allow yourself to get carried away because of early success, but good luck convincing the chest pounders on this board. No matter how good we look early, I say it every season let’s see how we’re playing in December and January. Like every season we’re going to get the bold predictions every week by some fans that will proclaim that no way are we losing. They’ll boldly predict that we’re not going to just win, we’re go blow them out and you can book it! :flagwave: Those are what I refer to as the kiss of death threads. They always come back to haunt the OP. I’m sure we’ll see a few platinum guarantees and quadruple plats from Gorico. He claimed last season he was done with them, but I’m not convinced. One impressive win will get his juices flowing again.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
The only area where I see an opportunity for improvement right now is on defense. And all of that comes from the possibility that Mike Zimmer will install a more fundamentally sound system.
I agree, Zimmer will bring disipline to this defense.Plus the players will like playing for him.This defense is loaded at LB ,Kendricks will help keep these young linebackers lined up correctly .DT play will be crucial for this defense to be good,if it is good these LB'S will ball out and the rest of the Defense will feast, this team could be good ,I can't wait to see what happens.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cDksfl2.gif