Big 12 Expansion

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
This would in fact the first smart thing the Big 12 has done in about 15 years.

Why? Because a 12 team league is the smallest that is stable and the advantages to 12 should be clear to anyone over 30.
The B1G derailed under 10 team alignment and expanded to 12 and shot up in prestige on the field.
Big 12 had reverse happen. Again, Why? Because 10 with a true round robin is literal trash.
You get a GTD repeat of 1 vs 2 for the conf CG which means 1 extra loss to your best teams.
9 conf games plus 1 OOC P5 means a tougher schedule that penalizes teams an average of about .65 games per season.

As to HOU that is a good get and a major shot at UT. UT was the one flexing on Houston. Now they are bailing and this is a sharp stick in their eye.

HOU plus TTU make for a solid TV showing in that monster and growing market.
It also puts OUT on the shakiest of ground. They pay full freight or they stay.
This revamped league would be far better than the AAC but also at a level where any of the 12 teams could compete.

And this deal would be the biggest kick in pants possible to all 3 of ESPN (who has to pay new teams same rate as current ones through 2024), UT(who fought HOU inclusion mightily), and SEC(who wanted to own the Houston market but will see a HOU promotion to P5 (and B12 teams playing there yearly nibble at that).

Hardline

Reaction score
The Big 12 can do better than the four teams already mentioned.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Who?

I mean you could add Boise or Memphis but there are not many more better options out there not already tied to a Power 5 conference.
That was my question too.
Who?

If you ask me, these are 4 pretty good choices.
  • BYU--name brand. Say no more
  • Cincy--can be paired with WVU in that region of the country. Rising football, decent basketball history. Solid choice
  • Houston. Large public university in a large market. Have had somewhat recent success in football and went basketball was in the Final Four last year. Baseball has a good history too (as an afterthought)
  • UCF---probably the fastest-rising overall sports program and one of the largest universities in the country. It is a big outlier geographically but that means less now than in the past.

Hardline

Reaction score
Who?

I mean you could add Boise or Memphis but there are not many more better options out there not already tied to a Power 5 conference.
Notre Dame could be one.
I would go Boise St. Over BYU.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Notre Dame could be one.

I don't see anyway ND would join the big 12. I think they looked into that in the past.

BYU is far more profitable over Boise State and thing about BYU that helps vs most other schools is that it is independent and has already shown interest in joining the big 12.

Now I do like Boise State but they do not bring the same value as BYU.

There are other teams that I would not mind seeing joining either now or in the future like Memphis, Boise State and I know others might not care for the team but Colorado St.

I think the Big 12 should go to 14 teams instead of 12 and that would mean adding one of the three I listed. But I doubt it happens.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Notre Dame could be one.
ND isn't joining any conference if the CFP is expanded which is near certain. It has a national schedule and wouldn't want to go more regional than it already has.

The Big 12 had to get to 12 and protect itself and the brand.
BYU has a significantly larger footprint than Boise St. --I would go all the way to 16 to secure the spot as 5th strongest conference brand. Add Boise, UNLV, USF, Memphis.
4 team pods.

But this was the right 4 they are targeting right now.
Those schools compete in football and basketball with P5 teams day 1.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The Big 12 can do better than the four teams already mentioned.
For the Big 12 to do better they had to first stabilize and survive.
This does this.

Now as they aren't part of any "Alliance" they could look to poach Pac12 schools like Arizona, Arizona State, Utah and Colorado in a couple years to get to 16.
OR they could take Boise/Memphis as the next two up to get to 14 if OUT bounce as expected in 2023.
OR most likely they could take Arizona/Arizona St/Boise/Memphis and be at 16.

But of 69 P5 level schools they are now at least in the ball game on more than yearly payouts.
a 10 team conf was a tragic idea that only made sense financially and even that was in the shortest of terms.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Who?

And at least this gets you guys a travel partner in Cincy. Also gets you a Florida school in the conf where you recruit heavily.
Sneaky strong design for WVA tbh.

And make a killer bball conference.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Notre Dame could be one.
Notre Dame would not be one...not even close.

If they joined a league it would for sure be either the ACC (which they play all sports in already and football last year...and loved it) or the Big Ten

Boise State brings nothing to the table except football. BYU is way above them as a national brand.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Notre Dame could be one.

If Notre Dame joins anyone, it's probably the ACC or maybe the Big 10. Boise State is probably fine where they are, but they might fit better in the PAC12 with Hawaii.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Was a pretty good week for the soon to be Big 12.
UCF's comeback win over Boise, Kansas State handling Stanford with ease.
Even terribad Kansas eeked out a win.
Lone conf loss was a close P5 loss to Maryland.
Tech did put on a second half clinic versus to be HOU but that was a better game than the final score indicated. And it drew 44k fans.

RaZon

Reaction score
No team should be a 42 point fav, this kind of thing needs to stop.

Hell, just play every team in your conference.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This is an excellent move to preserve the Big 12 conference. And will keep its Power 5 status.

A decision could be upcoming as soon as this week . And they could begin playing as soon as 2023 with Tx and Ou still in the conference.

Ghost12

Reaction score
If Notre Dame joins anyone, it's probably the ACC or maybe the Big 10. Boise State is probably fine where they are, but they might fit better in the PAC12 with Hawaii.
Notre Dame Football cannot join any conference except the ACC until 2037.