Big 12 Expansion

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Texas with SEC West . Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, OU( whether they are in West or not with Red River Rivalry) and 2 SEC East teams assuredly has a potential of 4-6 losses a year. And that doesn’t count potential tough matchups with Arkansas and Miss teams.

It shouldn’t be long until they start missing the Techs, Kansas and Baylor’s of the Big 12. OU isn’t going to cruise thru conference either like they did Big 12 and Big 8 with basically only 1 or 2 tough games a year. The fact they couldn’t ever win a game in playoffs proves they aren’t ready for SEC. Hope they get their butts handed to them.
Both those teams built what they have by being the decision-maker and needle mover in all conf decisions. They decided every major B12 decision since it's inception and were power brokers in the Big 8 and SWC before that.
Both schools had lockstep voters who kept them fat and happy.
Now they are going to a league who just ran roughshod over TAMU to add the team they most hated and never wanted to see again.
All because now Daddy is ESPN and they step and fetch it for their overlords.
They are undoubtedly helmet schools with the money and resources to win games.
But UT is in a very tough spot as a hugely different atmosphere from the kind of nothing in the entire state matters but football type of teams they will face now weekly.
UT may never again build a culture to dominate in football and brands do fade over time with a lack of success.

It's not like we have to kook very far.
We saw what Arkansas did after leaving the SWC and we've seen TAMU invest insane money in the football team only to to go final poll unranked in 8 of their 10 ten SEC years. And one of those seasons was the very first year with B12 players where they ended up 5th.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Both those teams built what they have by being the decision-maker and needle mover in all conf decisions. They decided every major B12 decision since it's inception and were power brokers in the Big 8 and SWC before that.
Now they are going to a league who just ran roughshod over TAMU to add the team they most hated and never wanted to see again.
But UT is in a very tough spot as a hugely different atmosphere from the kind of nothing in the entire state matters but football type of teams they will face now weekly.
UT may never again build a culture to dominate in football and brands do fade over time with a lack of success.

We saw what Arkansas did after leaving the SWC and we've seen TAMU invest insane money in the football team only to to go final poll unranked in 8 of their 10 ten SEC years. And one of those seasons was the very first year with B12 players where they ended up 5th.
Right.

And don’t forget about Nebraska who bolted to greener pastures in Big 10 who haven’t been heard from since. They can’t be happy fans in Cornhusker country either.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I think the mental state of those that drive the UT football bus is not accepting of the fact they will not be a power in the SEC. They perceived their power to be much more in the B12 than it truly is. And you are dead on on how quickly a program can fade into the background as quickly as it showed up and we might be seeing that at Clemson soon.

When those comments were made by some B12 people about they expected that from Texas, they weren't really speaking about people within the school but that band of boosters led by Red McCombs, who doomed Charlie Strong from the get go with being negative about him and putting him behind the 8 ball. He wanted him to fail and made sure of it.

I think a lot of the Texas move is because of OU, UT cannot be left behind and seen as second fiddle to OU. UT was a power in the B12 in name only since the days of Mack Brown, Strong and Herman couldn't sustain that and I do not think this HC will be able to either.

UT has a long history of the good old boys running it and having their high school HC buds that would guarantee a kid a full ride. Darrell Royal could keep them at bay by winning but what a lot of people at the time didn't understand is that Broyles, Stallings and Switzer knew the high school HC's that didn't like the good ole boys network and they forged relationships with those coaches. The strength of the Hogs was in it's Texas recruits and to almost the same extent, so was the Sooners.

Mack Brown could keep at bay by finally winning but one was not enough and you could see him age in that job. UT is a lot like the Cowboys except instead of the owner running the HC, the good ole boys do it at UT.

UT is a lot like those good ole boys in Odessa running the high school's team in "Friday Night Lights". Any HC has to go along to get along. And not one has managed to sustain that since Royal and he did it by winning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the mental state of those that drive the UT football bus is not accepting of the fact they will not be a power in the SEC. They perceived their power to be much more in the B12 than it truly is. And you are dead on on how quickly a program can fade into the background as quickly as it showed up and we might be seeing that at Clemson soon.

When those comments were made by some B12 people about they expected that from Texas, they weren't really speaking about people within the school but that band of boosters led by Red McCombs, who doomed Charlie Strong from the get go with being negative about him and putting him behind the 8 ball. He wanted him to fail and made sure of it.

I think a lot of the Texas move is because of OU, UT cannot be left behind and seen as second fiddle to OU. UT was a power in the B12 in name only since the days of Mack Brown, Strong and Herman couldn't sustain that and I do not think this HC will be able to either.

UT has a long history of the good old boys running it and having their high school HC buds that would guarantee a kid a full ride. Darrell Royal could keep them at bay by winning but what a lot of people at the time didn't understand is that Broyles, Stallings and Switzer knew the high school HC's that didn't like the good ole boys network and they forged relationships with those coaches. The strength of the Hogs was in it's Texas recruits and to almost the same extent, so was the Sooners.

Mack Brown could keep at bay by finally winning but one was not enough and you could see him age in that job. UT is a lot like the Cowboys except instead of the owner running the HC, the good ole boys do it at UT.

UT is a lot like those good ole boys in Odessa running the high school's team in "Friday Night Lights". Any HC has to go along to get along. And not one has managed to sustain that since Royal and he did it by winning.
Totally agree!!

And also agree Sooners were driving force behind the move . Whorns didn’t want to be left behind.

Sooners had been bellyaching about all of the 11am kickoffs . They have been averaging like 4 or 5 in recent years. And when the schedule came out early this year that their rematch of “ game of the century “ or whatever the hell they call it with Nebraska was going to be another 11am broadcast , they came unglued.

And when Commish Bowlsby didn’t respond as they hoped he would it was then that they begin plotting to bolt. It was partially tied into the new SEC deal which was signed in December which allows for more afternoon and prime time games which OU wanted.

There’s no documentation or history during this time or before that Texas has any plans of leaving . So I think we can draw some conclusions it was all about riding the Sooners coattails .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Sooners problem with the 11am broadcast it was too early for not only fans to get to the games but fans to tune in. Mostly their complaint was about being able to coordinate flying in recruits for the early kickoffs. Especially if they are flying in from east or west coast.

OU felt these early kickoffs were hurting recruiting . And when the Big 12 Commish didn’t respond to their complaints they begin plotting. Apparently this years game with Cornhuskers was like the last straw.

Personally, I think it’s a Legit concern for OU.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Sooners problem with the 11am broadcast it was too early for not only fans to get to the games but fans to tune in. Mostly their complaint was about being able to coordinate flying in recruits for the early kickoffs. Especially if they are flying in from east or west coast.

OU felt these early kickoffs were hurting recruiting . And when the Big 12 Commish didn’t respond to their complaints they begin plotting. Apparently this years game with Cornhuskers was like the last straw.

Personally, I think it’s a Legit concern for OU.
Agree and I know when I was working up there, one of my strongest customers was a honcho at OU and was actually the one that started the removal of Stoops after the Mixon incident. He told me that OU had spoken with the TV people and been told that Big 12 teams didn't get the numbers the Big 10 and SEC did so they were relegated to early starts. The PAC 12 was told the same thing, only in reverse, which is why I am surprised they didn't come after some of the Big 12 teams in TX and OK like TCU and OSU.

Even the Red River Shootout doesn't hold the national stage as it once did and that's because UT hasn't been a contender. It's an upset if they win and that didn't used to be the case. One of my must watch college games of the year, and still is, but not like it used to be.

If I'm the Cotton Bowl, I would try and get LSU and ARK to play on one of those State Fair weekends and then they'd have all 4 states involved in their State Fair. Both teams travel well and that would give a nice boost to the Fair. And then they could tell Booger to kiss their fried grits by landing a good matchup not in ATT.