Big Contracts in 2019 - The real reason Dez was released

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And they would have offered to let Dez play with a pay cut. They wanted Dez GONE.

I was always big on getting rid of Dez, but I don't think he's a bum, and for the right price, I'd want him back. I'm surprised he hasn't been signed elsewhere. A new WR coach will be good for him, and will help him with a fresh start. He could have that here. I bet he improves significantly this year. Some team is going to get a good deal on him.

Pairing him with Hurns would be a significant upgrade.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dez was central to the theme of the thread title:

Big Contracts in 2019 - The real reason Dez was released
I summoned you to a great point about FA (even resigning) dollars vs Draft capital on the OL and Zach.
Your input would be greatly appreciated.

And @dallasdave - his input is always on point and illuminating.

Corso

Reaction score
It’s still uncertain if we ever intended to retain Dez at any price . And why the discussion .
It's certain my friend: No - He was gone.
No pay decrease was brought up.
Nothing.

The meeting with Jerry was a courtesy, not a negotiation.

The meeting itself was minutes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The answer to that is NO.

I will forever believe the decision was made before the end of last season that he wasn't returning.

Why it took so long to cut him is unexplainable.
And that’s what has fueled much of the discussion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's certain my friend: No - He was gone.
No pay decrease was brought up.
Nothing.

The meeting with Jerry was a courtesy, not a negotiation.

The meeting itself was minutes.
Then why did we take so long to release him?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dak's contract is going to be the killer. Even if he never plays better than he did in 2017, he'd still get $25 mil a year.

We've got the money to pay Martin, and both sides want a deal to happen. It'll be expensive but worth every cent. D-Law's will be much more interesting though.

I don't think Irving factors into the team's long term plans. Super-talented pass rusher, but he's just such a freaking headache, and I don't think the Cowboys are willing to give him the guaranteed money he's going to want.

Jaylon, Gregory, La'El, Byron, and Maliek Collins are all pretty much just potential at this point, they're not production. They've all got talent, and I bet that one or two of the group will emerge as studs by the time their contracts are up. But if they all hit the market right now, I'd be stunned if any of them got more than 4 or 5 mil a year. They could all walk right now and we'd basically be fine.

We have 3 more years on Zeke's deal, and we can tag him after that (a top 5 salary doesn't hurt for a guy who's probably going to be a top 5 RB any year he's healthy). That gives us a lot more of #21, and we'll see how much wear and tear he's got by the time the bill is due.

So in short, the only contracts I'd even be concerned about is Dak and maybe Lawrence.

Corso

Reaction score
Then why did we take so long to release him?
Like I have an answer to that...
You ask for certainty in an uncertain situation, to prove a point?

I only speak of the definites: He's gone. They didn't ask for a paycut. They didn't want one. And now he's sitting on his couch, telling people how he's not regretting where he is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Like I have an answer to that...
You ask for uncertainty, to prove a point?

I only speak of the definites: He's gone. They didn't ask for a paycut. They didn't want one. And now he's sitting on his couch, telling people how he's not regretting where he is.
It makes for speculative discussion. Part of what we do on a forum.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
not all together true, they didnt even offer a lower price, he came around too late on taking a restructure to a more fair contract.. they let him go for many reasons Money was one but he would have taken less, hes still out there.. when you dont come with alower offer to player who most likely would have taken it, its more than money..his play on the field VS headaches vs Money was the equation to why he was released..him turning down, allegedly, the contract from Ravens shows how immature he still is, hes not thinking straight, all he can see now is getting back at the cowboys.. thats been the knock on dez since he arrived here, Immature, Volatile, and disruptive..thats ok when you are putting up 90-1400-10 but when you drop off , bye bye..he actually had solid career and I liked the guys passion but after that seatle game I realized it was time.. he let his emotions effect his game last year..it was really the first time ive seen it that bad I think he had a good 2016 season 2015 he really didnt play enough and had bad qb play, so 2017 was the true drop off the cliff moment..it was overblown it wasn't 3 years of decline, truly last year was just the moment you can really see things go sideways..

Up until Bryant was cut he maintained publicly that he wasn't going to take a pay cut. As many times as he tweeted that or talked about that in interviews the Cowboys took him at his word and cut him. It was only after he was cut that he publicly changed his tune and said he would have taken a pay cut. As far as just last season, that's a pile of crap. Brant hadn't reached 1000 yards in a season since 2014. You can't whine about QB because from 2015 through 2017 the number of times he was targeted per game only drop less than two targets a game from his 2014 numbers but he was only ever a 1 trick pony and as time wore on everyone could see he had a hard time getting separation even in single coverage. In 2016 he didn't lead the league in drops, only 3rd and might have led the league then to if he played all 16 games, but did lead the league in 2017. Performance for what he would have been paid was a big part of it but as you said he has always had an immature approach to the game on the field and sidelines. I disagree that resigning any players in 2019-2020 had anything to do with Bryant getting cut. He was doomed from his play and immaturity and it's just that simple.

GMO415

Reaction score
No one's paying Dez now....so why should Dallas?.....looks like they made a sound decision.

cern

Reaction score
I think all the fuss about the timing of dez's release is much ballyhooed. Prior to his release, any team interested in his services could have inquired of the cowboys. Seems several were interested in Sammy Watkins. And surely there are other teams still in need of a top wr. Ravens offered him a deal. Just might be that they listened, watched tape of the player, and came to the same conclusion many here reached months ago. He wasn't worth the money, the trouble, or any consideration.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think all the fuss about the timing of dez's release is much ballyhooed. Prior to his release, any team interested in his services could have inquired of the cowboys. Seems several were interested in Sammy Watkins. And surely there are other teams still in need of a top wr. Ravens offered him a deal. Just might be that they listened, watched tape of the player, and came to the same conclusion many here reached months ago. He wasn't worth the money, the trouble, or any consideration.

Or he could be asking for a very high single year deal like reported and no one wants to pay that much.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
IMVHO...Dak is no where close to being a franchise QB that you would want to lock up with over 100 million dollars.
I would want to see a couple of seasons and see if he progresses before betting the farm on a QB who hasn't
shown the ability to get the pass delivered on time and on target. Just saying.

Wow. What a crappy take.
If he has a season remotely close to his rookie campaign and the season he was having prior to his left tackle and running back’s abcense his contract will be > than Kirk Cousins.
On time and on target.

LittleD

Reaction score
Wow. What a crappy take.
If he has a season remotely close to his rookie campaign and the season he was having prior to his left tackle and running back’s abcense his contract will be > than Kirk Cousins.
On time and on target.

Look Rogers has had the same problems with no running game and still finds WR's with ease. Brees, the same thing. Just look at the
mechanics of Dak's throws and his accuracy on even mid-range routes. He sucks, plain and simple. Why in the world hang your hat
on a run first and shoot passer. That didn't work out too well for the Commanders and RG3 either. I just think Dak needs to prove he's a franchise
QB before we pay him like one. We have made that mistake so many times it hurts as our last 25 years is testament too.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dez was released for two main reasons.

1. He is a bad fit with Dak.

2. He's a pain in the ***.

Everything else is table dressing.

Dez was released as paying a WR 13+ million a season when you have a bus driving QB is a waste of most Valuable cap monies!!!!!