Big failure by the GM

USArmyVet

Reaction score
It will be much, much higher than that. I know it doesn’t fit your agenda but I could care less.

Please show me where anything I wrote reflects an 'agenda' as you claim? I simply posted Dak's salary cap hit by year and then an estimate of what the salary cap may be by 2023 and the percentage of the team salary cap based on Dak's salary cap hit.

That is simply statistics and not an agenda. Unfortunately you seem to see everything as an 'agenda' but I will not go down this path with you again as it would be a waste of my time.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The QB play last night was nothing less than atrocious. How the team could be this far in to training camp with these backup QB’s and think that they could play is mind boggling. They’ve seen them every OTA, mini-camp and every day in training camp. Really disappointed they haven’t gotten a decent backup from day one so that he could get acclimated with the offense. They better get off their rear ends fast and bring someone in because if Dak goes down for a few games, we ain’t winning squat.

You now sound a bit concerned about your hero not being totally fit?
We had a decent back-up QB last year.....I wonder your views were of him at the time....supportive as he was the back-up or decrying him to troll anti-Dax'ers to support your boy.

I trust you give the back-up a bit more support this year now that you're less sensitive and insecure about Dak's position on the team.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Actually, this is pretty standard with ALL second QB contracts........they are usually adjusted/ restructured/extended after QBs receives all guaranteed money.

Agreed but I suppose the restructuring of players that have not performed recently has me having a rather negative view of the way JJ & Co. does business at times.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Enjoy your weekend should you choose to.

Sir, his weekend will be perfectly filled with good, clean fun, thank you:
1. Go to the Dak Store and pick up more Dak wall posters. (Shirtless)
2. Design a Dak+Zeke=Super Bowl website
3. Get a Dak neck tattoo
4. Bake a cake with "We Love Dak" message and donate to the seniors center (Rockport's a good lad)
5. Practice the Dak cheer: "Dak, Dak, he's our man, best QB player that Jerry can have!"

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Agreed but I suppose the restructuring of players that have not performed recently has me having a rather negative view of the way JJ & Co. does business at times.

The players I assume you're talking about are those at other positions whose nowhere near as valuable as the QB position. As for the contracts they've restructured have been bad. If I'm not mistaken, a couple of OLmen, and DLaw are the only ones I think but notice they didn't touch Jaylon Smith, Coop or Zeke deals. In other words, they didn't wanna push their contracts further down the road making it harder to get out their deals.

basel90

Reaction score
So who has a back up QB that could step in and play at a high level if the starter goes down?
Many teams have excellent backup options , some listed below

12. Mitchell Trubisky (Bills)

The former first-rounder may have flopped as the Bears' starter, too often pairing promising off-script athleticism with an ill-advised throw in crunch time. But he's got the perfect skill set to learn behind and insure Josh Allen, who started his career on a similar note.

11. Taysom Hill (Saints)
It's tough to even consider him a backup considering Sean Payton deploys him almost every series, either under center or elsewhere. But assuming Jameis Winston claims the No. 1 job, he'll be it. As a gadget play-maker, he's good. As a QB, he's ... a gadget player.

10. Gardner Minshew (Jaguars)
He doesn't have the physical skill set to rival other QBs, and you might rather have somebody like Taysom Hill to keep defenses off guard, but Minshew has never lacked poise. Look at the numbers he put up in Jacksonville. He'll stick around for a while.

9. Mac Jones (Patriots)
No one knows how Jones will fare as the latest in a growing list of Alabama products to try to end the school's drought of elite QBs. But he brings too much feel for the pocket and for throwing the football to be written off, even in competition with Cam Newton.

8. Marcus Mariota (Raiders)
You don't want to be counting on him for an extended period, because durability has long been an issue. But his natural ability to move the chains as both a runner and short-area passer give him a relatively high floor as a fill-in.

7. Jordan Love (Packers)
Blasphemous? Try to remember that he went 26th out of 255 picks in the 2020 draft. Failing to take the field as a rookie, even as Aaron Rodgers' No. 2, was disappointing. But this guy still has an electric arm. Unpolished? Sure. But the upside is intact.

6. Tyrod Taylor (Texans)
As a full-time starter, Taylor hasn't been more than mediocre since his days with the Bills. He may well be the No. 1 again, depending on Deshaun Watson's future. As a short-term fill-in, he's much better: Very conservative, but mobile and well-versed.

5. Case Keenum (Browns)
Maybe the most underrated backup in the NFL. His knack for freestyling has gotten him in trouble before, but he's never lacked for moxie, flashing play-making ability in Minnesota and Washington in recent years. At 33, he's also seen his fair share of starts.

4. Jacoby Brissett (Dolphins)
More Tyrod Taylor than Case Keenum, Brissett prefers to play it safe, even though he's never been terribly accurate. Why's he so high, then? He's actually been solid as a full-timer, he's got a bigger arm than he shows, and he can move better than most think.

3. Teddy Bridgewater (Broncos)
Since his best days back in Minnesota, Bridgewater has been more game manager than franchise QB, but that's exactly what you look for in a veteran No. 2. His ceiling isn't particularly high, but his floor gives Denver not only a wild-card-caliber fallback but legitimate competition to push Drew Lock -- hopefully to a big rebound. As a bonus, he's a locker-room gem, quick to accept whatever role he has.

2. Justin Fields (Bears)

Reid1boys

Reaction score

The former first-rounder may have flopped as the Bears' starter, too often pairing promising off-script athleticism with an ill-advised throw in crunch time. But he's got the perfect skill set to learn behind and insure Josh Allen, who started his career on a similar note.

11. Taysom Hill (Saints)
It's tough to even consider him a backup considering Sean Payton deploys him almost every series, either under center or elsewhere. But assuming Jameis Winston claims the No. 1 job, he'll be it. As a gadget play-maker, he's good. As a QB, he's ... a gadget player.

He doesn't have the physical skill set to rival other QBs, and you might rather have somebody like Taysom Hill to keep defenses off guard, but Minshew has never lacked poise. Look at the numbers he put up in Jacksonville. He'll stick around for a while.

9. Mac Jones (Patriots)
No one knows how Jones will fare as the latest in a growing list of Alabama products to try to end the school's drought of elite QBs. But he brings too much feel for the pocket and for throwing the football to be written off, even in competition with Cam Newton.

You don't want to be counting on him for an extended period, because durability has long been an issue. But his natural ability to move the chains as both a runner and short-area passer give him a relatively high floor as a fill-in.

7. Jordan Love (Packers)
Blasphemous? Try to remember that he went 26th out of 255 picks in the 2020 draft. Failing to take the field as a rookie, even as Aaron Rodgers' No. 2, was disappointing. But this guy still has an electric arm. Unpolished? Sure. But the upside is intact.

6. Tyrod Taylor (Texans)
As a full-time starter, Taylor hasn't been more than mediocre since his days with the Bills. He may well be the No. 1 again, depending on Deshaun Watson's future. As a short-term fill-in, he's much better: Very conservative, but mobile and well-versed.

5. Case Keenum (Browns)
Maybe the most underrated backup in the NFL. His knack for freestyling has gotten him in trouble before, but he's never lacked for moxie, flashing play-making ability in Minnesota and Washington in recent years. At 33, he's also seen his fair share of starts.

More Tyrod Taylor than Case Keenum, Brissett prefers to play it safe, even though he's never been terribly accurate. Why's he so high, then? He's actually been solid as a full-timer, he's got a bigger arm than he shows, and he can move better than most think.

Since his best days back in Minnesota, Bridgewater has been more game manager than franchise QB, but that's exactly what you look for in a veteran No. 2. His ceiling isn't particularly high, but his floor gives Denver not only a wild-card-caliber fallback but legitimate competition to push Drew Lock -- hopefully to a big rebound. As a bonus, he's a locker-room gem, quick to accept whatever role he has.

2. Justin Fields (Bears)

Lol....you have qbs on the list you are selling as good backups that have never taken N nfl snap....are you kidding?

The bears put their starter on the bench as the signed Dalton who want very good for us last year. But he's good as a backup?

Minshew was under contract and the jags drafted Lawrence. I'd hardly say the gm did a good job addressing the backup position.

Broncos have a crappy starter that can't win, and your counting their backup as quality?
Mac Jones? Please

Hill? Hes there starter.

On that list I'll count 2 as good back ups.... marriota, and brissett......but the dolphins don't even have a legit starter yet, so who gives a crap about their "Back up?"

blueblood70

Reaction score

11. Taysom Hill (Saints)

9. Mac Jones (Patriots)

7. Jordan Love (Packers)

6. Tyrod Taylor (Texans)

5. Case Keenum (Browns)

2. Justin Fields (Bears)
first off your list is flawed

100% can NOT add in rookies who havent played a snap or 2ndyr players who have yet to take the field as good backups. You dont know if they can even play..not eve as backup..

Tyrod tailor is not better then gilbert, taysom hill is gadget player a rb playing qb and sorry hes not that good that kills half your list...but you listed 12 out of 32 teams and i can take half of them away as UNRPOVEN and whos to say they would be better then GG..

so you have 6 worthy backups to spread around 32 teams so again like post are saying who can we get that available and for sure better then GGilbert?

most that are avaible are just more of the same then we have

however after the next 2 cut down dates some teams will cut or trade some that are possibly better then GG like Foles, even crazier Dalton may end up cut who knows..a few other to watch..at that point you all can go whining about the DC having a failed Gm

right now its the best plan is to give Gilbert the most snaps you can get him before you decide rights before the season IF you actually need to bring in a vet..absolutely the fo is correct in getting these guys all the snaps until they decide they need change..

blueblood70

Reaction score
Lol....you have qbs on the list you are selling as good backups that have never taken N nfl snap....are you kidding?

The bears put their starter on the bench as the signed Dalton who want very good for us last year. But he's good as a backup?

Minshew was under contract and the jags drafted Lawrence. I'd hardly say the gm did a good job addressing the backup position.

Broncos have a crappy starter that can't win, and your counting their backup as quality?
Mac Jones? Please

Hill? Hes there starter.

On that list I'll count 2 as good back ups.... marriota, and brissett......but the dolphins don't even have a legit starter yet, so who gives a crap about their "Back up?"
TY!:hammer:

USArmyVet

Reaction score
You’re making it enjoyable already. Thanks for the laugh

The truly sad part about you is that while you have the ability to offer quality dialogue within this group but you CHOOSE to denigrate others or post simply to antagonize other members for your personal enjoyment. That said, continue your choices while the rest of us set about with adult dialogue in a hopefully constructive manner.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Mac Jones? Please

Hill? Hes there starter.

The point being 90%+ of the back-up QB's on that list are better than what Dallas has currently.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
We had a good backup QB last year, what did it matter? Every NFL team is a starting QB getting hurt away from being the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. It’s not like there are good QBs standing at the door and knocking. Who would you say to bring in?

Yep and I guess that Rockport s
Sir, his weekend will be perfectly filled with good, clean fun, thank you:
1. Go to the Dak Store and pick up more Dak wall posters. (Shirtless)
2. Design a Dak+Zeke=Super Bowl website
3. Get a Dak neck tattoo
4. Bake a cake with "We Love Dak" message and donate to the seniors center (Rockport's a good lad)
5. Practice the Dak cheer: "Dak, Dak, he's our man, best QB player that Jerry can have!"

Dont interrupt @Rockport he's busy proving that Dak is still the best QB in the league when playing with a shoulder injury. I still can't get over that Redzone thread where the analysis of the stats actually disproved his own argument.

I wonder if this concern about back-up QB's is Rock actually trying to jump off the Hero Dak ship. Does anyone think he may be a sleeper anti-Dak'er.

basel90

Reaction score

Mac Jones? Please

Hill? Hes there starter.

It is subjective ,and you are right , they don’t always perform great once called upon , but there is talent there on the list and experience. The packers have a promising backup so do the Patriots and others . Gilbert for the cowboys can get better with some more reps . The main issue here is committing so much money for a QB that has chocked so many times against good teams , a QB who has no accomplishments at college or NFL, and is now an injured QB showing the wear and tear . A huge gamble .

basel90

Reaction score
first off your list is flawed

100% can NOT add in rookies who havent played a snap or 2ndyr players who have yet to take the field as good backups. You dont know if they can even play..not eve as backup..

Tyrod tailor is not better then gilbert, taysom hill is gadget player a rb playing qb and sorry hes not that good that kills half your list...but you listed 12 out of 32 teams and i can take half of them away as UNRPOVEN and whos to say they would be better then GG..

so you have 6 worthy backups to spread around 32 teams so again like post are saying who can we get that available and for sure better then GGilbert?

most that are avaible are just more of the same then we have

however after the next 2 cut down dates some teams will cut or trade some that are possibly better then GG like Foles, even crazier Dalton may end up cut who knows..a few other to watch..at that point you all can go whining about the DC having a failed Gm

right now its the best plan is to give Gilbert the most snaps you can get him before you decide rights before the season IF you actually need to bring in a vet..absolutely the fo is correct in getting these guys all the snaps until they decide they need change..
I agree with you on most points . And yes Tyrad is not better than Gilbert whom I like and think needs more reps and confidence from the coaches . My worry is that the cowboys invested a massive cap space on Dak , who has no accomplishments in college or in the NFL, and had benefited from the cowboys OL , WR , RB platform, which is where most of the money on this roster . He has not done anything yet of notice in his career and the cowboys were 1-4 when he got injured last season ,