Big failure by the GM

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
But have we put him in position to succeed? Knowing he was raw and a 7th round pick? We can’t gauge him like a 1st rounder…
well then we agree that he played pretty badly and talent level is at best a 7th rounder, so the question is does this team have the years and space needed to get him up to NFL speed. At this point in time, he has shown absolutely nothing. I am not sure where the love comes from, but apparently there is always one or two players that are afforded unwarranted hype.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
What about the 42 mil hit in the coming years ? An injured QB who has no real accomplishments yet .
I don’t think there is a 42 mill hit but if there is, it would be in the last year of his contract when the cap has increased significantly and it’s a non-factor.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I don’t think there is a 42 mill hit but if there is, it would be in the last year of his contract when the cap has increased significantly and it’s a non-factor.

Dak Prescott Cap Hit and Dead Money

2021: $22.2M ($95M dead money)

2022: $33.2M ($72.8M dead money)

2023: $44.2M ($39.6M dead money)

2024: $47.2M ($26.4M dead money)

2025: $13.2M ($13.2M dead money)

So Dallas will do what they always do and after the 2022 season they will renegotiate with Dak and adjust his contract to lessen his 2023 cap hit....but if there are injury or performance issues Dallas is stuck with the contract until at least the 2024 season.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

So Dallas will do what they always do and after the 2022 season they will renegotiate with Dak and adjust his contract to lessen his 2023 cap hit....but if there are injury or performance issues Dallas is stuck with the contract until at least the 2024 season.
And the salary cap is going up every year. Why do you fail to mention that? Rhetorical question.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And the salary cap is going up every year. Why do you fail to mention that? Rhetorical question.
how about this wait to start posts about GM failures until you ,

ONE, watch all the ps games

Two, see the fail roster after cuts

Three, see who actually available that markedly better then gilbert?

four, please show me your NFL employee ID card and the one that also states you are or have been and NFL GM or player personal , heck jock strap cleaner even? that big NO...save the i know better..

after PS game one, really you have this OVER reaction.....take breath, calm down, and chill

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
how about this wait to start posts about GM failures until you ,

ONE, watch all the ps games

Two, see the fail roster after cuts

Three, see who actually available that markedly better then gilbert?

four, please show me your NFL employee ID card and the one that also states you are or have been and NFL GM or player personal , heck jock strap cleaner even? that big NO...save the i know better..

after PS game one, really you have this OVER reaction.....take breath, calm down, and chill
My name is Broaddus

USArmyVet

Reaction score

I suppose because I nor anyone else does not know what the salary cap will be going forward and am simply posting Dak's salary cap hits within his contract. That said, the salary cap in 2021 is set at $182.5M and if you assume a 10% increase (in spite of it going up recently around 7%; 2020-2021 was a decrease of almost 8% due to Covid) in each of the next several years due to a new tv deal, then you are looking at the cap being around $218M in 2023 when Dak has a $44M cap hit....which equals about 20% of the team salary cap hit.

basel90

Reaction score
Chaps, the Dak cheerleaders here will only applaud him and congratulate him for taking care of his Injuries and his mental health. They don't care that Dak and Zeke, on the aggregate, take up ... what, 55% of the salary cap? That is irresponsible.
Blimey! Dak is no Rogers, LamarJ, Brady or the departed Brees. He's not even a Foles, for goodness sakes. Dak is more a Daniel Jones, but with less potential.
Very well put . Dak is a serviceable good QB who has largely benefited from the cowboys offensive set up ( OL , WR , RB ) which many QBs can thrive behind . In crucial games where he had to carry the team he mostly failed . I think his record against good winning teams is around 25% winning average only . Now with his injuries I fear the next few years will be agonizing for the team as the cap is still absorbed by his horrible deal and zeke’s and amari and DLaw . Not much space to maneuver.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I suppose because I nor anyone else does not know what the salary cap will be going forward and am simply posting Dak's salary cap hits within his contract. That said, the salary cap in 2021 is set at $182.5M and if you assume a 10% increase (in spite of it going up recently around 7%; 2020-2021 was a decrease of almost 8% due to Covid) in each of the next several years due to a new tv deal, then you are looking at the cap being around $218M in 2023 when Dak has a $44M cap hit....which equals about 20% of the team salary cap hit.
It will be much, much higher than that. I know it doesn’t fit your agenda but I could care less.

coult44

Reaction score
The QB play last night was nothing less than atrocious. How the team could be this far in to training camp with these backup QB’s and think that they could play is mind boggling. They’ve seen them every OTA, mini-camp and every day in training camp. Really disappointed they haven’t gotten a decent backup from day one so that he could get acclimated with the offense. They better get off their rear ends fast and bring someone in because if Dak goes down for a few games, we ain’t winning squat.
We had a good backup QB last year, what did it matter? Every NFL team is a starting QB getting hurt away from being the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. It’s not like there are good QBs standing at the door and knocking. Who would you say to bring in?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
We had a good backup QB last year, what did it matter? Every NFL team is a starting QB getting hurt away from being the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. It’s not like there are good QBs standing at the door and knocking. Who would you say to bring in?
If you lose your starter for the season then you’re toast but if you lose him for only a game or 2 that’s when you need a good backup that can keep you competitive for those 2 games.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Well, I'm not as down on our current backups as some others here are, but IF I had to sign another QB TODAY from who is currently available, I'd sign RG3.

Stop laughing. His performance in Baltimore wasn't world beating, but it wasn't horrible either.

Think he's done, cooked (LOL) .........he had no problems being the Ravens career backup and they even decided enough is enough. Word is ESPN is expecting big things from him......

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It won't surprise me if Nick Foles isn't a Cowboys in a few weeks.

Couple things here;
* Bears coach admitted they're willing to trade him ( meaning Dalton is safe for this season)
* Foles says he would not wanna play for a team unless he knows the coaches and/or system. As he put it, he's done that, and it wasn't fun. Sounds like he's hoping Colts or Eagles will come after him........

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Actually, this is pretty standard with ALL second QB contracts........they are usually adjusted/ restructured/extended after QBs receives all guaranteed money.