CFZ Big Mac’s accomplishments in 3.5 seasons

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
That doesn't also include individual accomplishments in season as well as NFL all time relevent as well.

bottleKids

Reaction score
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy and only have back to back losses once since 2021.

All valid points, however, the one thing I think he needs to improve on, is his clapping. :lmao::lmao::lmao:

Cowboy_svt

Reaction score
the best thing ive seen is his adjustment in game-season.
Only time ive seen that not happen was the eagles game, but thats only one i can think of.
Penalties honestly i dont know who to blame, seems like we get the short end on some high penalty games, and some just seem like the player should know better, at this level they should anyway.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the best thing ive seen is his adjustment in game-season.
Only time ive seen that not happen was the eagles game, but thats only one i can think of.
Penalties honestly i dont know who to blame, seems like we get the short end on some high penalty games, and some just seem like the player should know better, at this level they should anyway.
The one thing with penalties that drives me crazy is the lining up off-sides thing. Last I checked we were leading the league in off-sides penalties with 12. Lining up off-sides is something you learn to avoid in pee wee football.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I’ve been all about Mike since he got here. He just wins football games and gets you into the playoffs. I still believe this was a Stephen push hire and it was a brilliant move.

Hopefully this is our year.
Jerry has prepped each and every year as to status of replacement candidates for coaching and head coaching replacements back before Jimmy became a candidate for firing. He's really no body's fool on franchise. His issue was and is loyalties.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Respect is earned in the playoffs.
Respect is earned getting there. That is a consistant as to validity for a team. Now, rewards improve on progress from that point. Then a fan can do his hero worship rain dance.

Redline360

Reaction score
Regular season accomplishments with one of the more stacked teams talent wise in football means nothing to anyone besides stat chasers.

Still have issues beating winning teams, to many penalties, undisciplined, and come out flat for playoff games

But yes miles above the JG era.

blueblood70

Reaction score
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.

It's insane to me that people think he's on the hot seat for any reason... Other than they want Dan Quinn which is shocking too because Dan Quinn's defense has been a shaky if not the shakiest part of our season so far as far as expectations versus results they have been in my opinion the largest contributor to the three losses that we've had so far and it's in the biggest games where they're not the championship defense that shut down defense that Mike McCarthy went into the season designing A conservative offense in order to help the defense...

Everyone around here is in a hurry to get rid of McCarthy for Quinn there's no way I'm doing that if I'm a GM if you decide to make a change a head coach you need to get rid of the whole entire coaching staff that is just the way it should be no keeping crumbs and parts around from the old staff in my opinion is not going to help because Dan Quinn's defense has not been any better than Mike McCarthy 's coaching the offense and the rest of the team...

Besides resume to resume Mike McCarthy is a much better head coach the Dan Quinn has ever been in his one failed attempt I'm not handing him the keys to my castle after seeing the last couple years his defenses are doing the same thing that they did in Atlanta when he was the head coach they're giving up big leads they're giving up time consuming boom or bust type drives...

So yes I agree the Mike McCarthy criticism is insane I'm in a hurry to get rid of the guy is just utterly ridiculous.... And you also didn't factor in maybe you missed the bullet point but he's also been the best coach managing missing key players I mean so far I don't do any research like you he's probably the best coach we've had at managing losses to our key players and still keep winning...

I guess the best example is didn't he go three wins one loss down the stretch in 2020 that's not bad given what he had to work with and ever since the rest of your bullet points are all the proof we need of how many games he's won since those last four games of 2020 up until now and all the adversity that he's gotten us past and yes there's still one more hurdle is getting to an NFC championship game but I don't think his coaching is the reason we're not going to get there...

Is he perfect, NO.. But not many coaches are everyone's going to make decisions in a game under fire you only have a split second to make it, and in hindsight being called wrong.

Reaction score

You mean the guy that handed MM the Keys to one of the top offenses in the league and one of the best offensive lines which is now a shadow of its former self? These first few years sure had a nice jumping off point. Thank god we tripped over DQ and put him to work because the offense is backsliding.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You mean the guy that handed MM the Keys to one of the top offenses in the league and one of the best offensive lines which is now a shadow of its former self? These first few years sure had a nice jumping off point. Thank god we tripped over DQ and put him to work because the offense is backsliding.
Dude I don't know what you've been smoking but I can tell you right now our offensive line hasn't been the same since 2018 has nothing to do with Mike McCarthy has everything to do with injuries, age, and hard to find quality depth that doesmnt drop off.. right somehow you think that the offensive line just now dropped off have you seen the injuries even in 2020 there were eleven different offensive line lineups it's very difficult to keep the same offensive line on the field as a coach how is that your fault are you ridiculous how ridiculous is that statement maybe you had too good a weekend maybe you need to get over the fumes that are still burning in that fog of thought.

Handed the keys? you mean from a offensive coordinator that couldn't put up points against the better teams? I don't see this as any different or any better until we prove otherwise but I can tell you this Mike McCarthy's been a better in game play caller and a person willing to adjust where is Kelly Moore did not... Kellen Moore pretty much was going to do the same thing from the start to the finish that he came in with the plan whether it blew up or not and no matter how much it hurt the team or the defense...

Anybody who's not on Mike McCarthy hater would see the fact that in my opinion he's a better play caller is he a better offensive mind or play designer or anything like that I wouldn't go that far but I could tell you right now he knows how to design A better game plan and he knows how to adjust in the game when that game play is failing... And as far as situational football play calling goes there is an even a close comparison Mike McCarthy wins 10 out of 10 times...​
I don't think anybody in here thought that Kellen Moore was a bad offensive coordinator he just not a good fit for what we were trying to do here it's that easy he didn't get cut from this team because he was bad he got cut from this team because he was a bad fit... But I'm glad you're drinking the killing more kool-aid as if he's doing anything better or worse with the chargers the guys a nice passing game coordinator but as far as an offensive coordinator that can call plays in games Mike McCarthy is superior...​

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's insane to me that people think he's on the hot seat for any reason... Other than they want Dan Quinn which is shocking too because Dan Quinn's defense has been a shaky if not the shakiest part of our season so far as far as expectations versus results they have been in my opinion the largest contributor to the three losses that we've had so far and it's in the biggest games where they're not the championship defense that shut down defense that Mike McCarthy went into the season designing A conservative offense in order to help the defense...

Everyone around here is in a hurry to get rid of McCarthy for Quinn there's no way I'm doing that if I'm a GM if you decide to make a change a head coach you need to get rid of the whole entire coaching staff that is just the way it should be no keeping crumbs and parts around from the old staff in my opinion is not going to help because Dan Quinn's defense has not been any better than Mike McCarthy 's coaching the offense and the rest of the team...

Besides resume to resume Mike McCarthy is a much better head coach the Dan Quinn has ever been in his one failed attempt I'm not handing him the keys to my castle after seeing the last couple years his defenses are doing the same thing that they did in Atlanta when he was the head coach they're giving up big leads they're giving up time consuming boom or bust type drives...

So yes I agree the Mike McCarthy criticism is insane I'm in a hurry to get rid of the guy is just utterly ridiculous.... And you also didn't factor in maybe you missed the bullet point but he's also been the best coach managing missing key players I mean so far I don't do any research like you he's probably the best coach we've had at managing losses to our key players and still keep winning...

I guess the best example is didn't he go three wins one loss down the stretch in 2020 that's not bad given what he had to work with and ever since the rest of your bullet points are all the proof we need of how many games he's won since those last four games of 2020 up until now and all the adversity that he's gotten us past and yes there's still one more hurdle is getting to an NFC championship game but I don't think his coaching is the reason we're not going to get there...

Is he perfect, NO.. But not many coaches are everyone's going to make decisions in a game under fire you only have a split second to make it, and in hindsight being called wrong.
Good post my cowboy fan friend...

I agree that Mike McCarthy has no job on the line status for this season.

Against San Francisco and Philadelphia, the Dallas defense has to dominate both games. One of the reasons I'm wanting Leonard signed now.

If the gulf offense sticks to design and no turn overs, the offensive line gives a stable 4 seconds and clean end areas...Prescott and the offense will win against both.

This is an on the line for disgruntled fans...who just really are no longer fans. That based upon biased and personal attachments for whipping boy conduct justified by their own egos. They then lie on acceptability and to a positive and true fan on stereotype. That ;is how true discrimination is born. No contrary observation or credable respect in conflict.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Good post my cowboy fan friend...

I agree that Mike McCarthy has no job on the line status for this season.

Against San Francisco and Philadelphia, the Dallas defense has to dominate both games. One of the reasons I'm wanting Leonard signed now.

If the gulf offense sticks to design and no turn overs, the offensive line gives a stable 4 seconds and clean end areas...Prescott and the offense will win against both.

This is an on the line for disgruntled fans...who just really are no longer fans. That based upon biased and personal attachments for whipping boy conduct justified by their own egos. They then lie on acceptability and to a positive and true fan on stereotype. That ;is how true discrimination is born. No contrary observation or credable respect in conflict.
Find like most of your thought the one you're missing out is there's no offensive line that gives 4 seconds on a regular basis however it would be nice to have 2.8 the three seconds which is just above or at the league average instead of 1.8 to 2 seconds in which that is what's happening and it's happening with a four man rush with the 9ers front , not having to use five or six guys to get pressure and stop the run fans asked well why does that matter and I keep trying to tell them when they can play zone or Max coverage on the back end and still only use four guys to get to your quarterback and stop your run it's almost no way an offense can function being that one-dimensional without making mistakes ie forcing balls to targets with little to no separation in crunch time.

I Mean go back and look at those games where the most guys they had to use was 5, and yet our line still struggled, and we still had no run game I mean we don't need 4 seconds it'd be nice to have three..Daks running at 1.8 as its breaking down that quick with the better fronts in football. nice to have solid run game dont need to be dominant but jeez under 3ypc not going to cut it..

CCBoy

Reaction score
Next season and with the draft, the Cowboys will back away from this currently more prevalent West Coast formula and add a more dominant running back to that positional group. Both the passing game and running game were affected for about three games, until a unit not together for about a season and a half...affecting last playoffs as well, well, it has steadily improved from game 3 forward. That is the functional level and not a memory set from the 1990's.

The team is sound to top shelf everywhere, now.

This season, offensive line starters need to be healthy through the playoffs. There are, although, relevant backups there to support when needed along the way.

As far as replacements and team, are Parsons, Lamb, Diggs, Overshown, Turpin, Cooks, Tyler Smith, Odighizuwa, Gilmore, Ferguson, and Bland significant?

That leaves Smith and Martin still on the job and plenty of top shelf for a strong offensive line in any decade passed through.

Naw, us fans need to catch up to the NFL now in action and become good fans again. :starspin:

kskboys

Reaction score

MM is a top 10 HC in the NFL. Man, you gotta ignore a ton of facts staring you in the face not to see it.