CFZ Big Mac’s accomplishments in 3.5 seasons

kskboys

Reaction score
You mean the guy that handed MM the Keys to one of the top offenses in the league and one of the best offensive lines which is now a shadow of its former self? These first few years sure had a nice jumping off point. Thank god we tripped over DQ and put him to work because the offense is backsliding.
How much did you have to drink/smoke to not consider age and injuries? I mean, that's just pure blindness!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
The one thing with penalties that drives me crazy is the lining up off-sides thing. Last I checked we were leading the league in off-sides penalties with 12. Lining up off-sides is something you learn to avoid in pee wee football.
You mean while todays millenial players were playing w/ their phones?

Qcard

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
Ehh!!! I Love Jerry but holding onto Garrett after 2011 Season was a Crime.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
First of all I'm glad MM is our coach. After watching Jason Garrett for 10 years it's an improvement.

But the fact remains - no NFL head coach has ever won a SB with 2 differnt teams. That goes back 55 years. Now the Cowboys have set multiple NFL records just as the first team to lose their first two games and win the SB, first team to have the NFL's leading rusher and win the SB, first wild card team to get to the SB, and probably some others.

So it wouldn't be a shock for MM to be the first to win SBs with different teams.

I just can't get that record out of my head, please Dallas let's set that record as well!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
Yes, Coach Mac has done a good job.
Hopefully he can minimize the penalties...

kskboys

Reaction score
First of all I'm glad MM is our coach. After watching Jason Garrett for 10 years it's an improvement.

But the fact remains - no NFL head coach has ever won a SB with 2 differnt teams. That goes back 55 years. Now the Cowboys have set multiple NFL records just as the first team to lose their first two games and win the SB, first team to have the NFL's leading rusher and win the SB, first wild card team to get to the SB, and probably some others.

So it wouldn't be a shock for MM to be the first to win SBs with different teams.

I just can't get that record out of my head, please Dallas let's set that record as well!
That's only a record because good coaches in the past stayed w/ the same team, often for their career.

And here's what you missed: 4 HC's have taken two different teams to the super bowl: Parcells, Shula, Dan Reeves, and Dick Vermeil.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Find like most of your thought the one you're missing out is there's no offensive line that gives 4 seconds on a regular basis however it would be nice to have 2.8 the three seconds which is just above or at the league average instead of 1.8 to 2 seconds in which that is what's happening and it's happening with a four man rush with the 9ers front , not having to use five or six guys to get pressure and stop the run fans asked well why does that matter and I keep trying to tell them when they can play zone or Max coverage on the back end and still only use four guys to get to your quarterback and stop your run it's almost no way an offense can function being that one-dimensional without making mistakes ie forcing balls to targets with little to no separation in crunch time.

I Mean go back and look at those games where the most guys they had to use was 5, and yet our line still struggled, and we still had no run game I mean we don't need 4 seconds it'd be nice to have three..Daks running at 1.8 as its breaking down that quick with the better fronts in football. nice to have solid run game dont need to be dominant but jeez under 3ypc not going to cut it..
This one you're in left field upon. Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith, Zac Martin are all top shelf. Those three alone can keep any group fully functional. Look again...there is plenty of other talent to keep the standard top shelf.

You need to pay attention to the changes in time for passes as well and yardage productions have steadily improved and will some more as the season progresses. The strength of the passing game is just starting to come into view and with more field stretching the running will continue until it is again a top 10 level against all comers. The past four to five games it already improved to a strength again.

The Cowboys offensive line isn’t flawless by any means, but they are improving at a time when offensive line play is absolutely critical, and they have yet to plateau. A case can be made they have yet to reach their full potential and the best days are still to come.

The biggest factor in their continued ascent is clearly their continued health. Tyron Smith hasn’t played a full season since seemingly the Bush administration. He’s already missed time and is currently on a special practice schedule that preserves him for game day. But at the same time, he’s currently graded as the No. 2 OT in the NFL, so if Smith can stay healthy, the sky is the limit for the Dallas offensive line.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-offensive-line/

In Ben Baldwin’s recent composite rankings consisting of PFF, SIS, and ESPN grades, the Cowboys offensive line has moved up to 14th in pass protection and fifth in run blocking.

Pollard:

He has had runs of 14, 22, 27, and 21 yards (touchdown run vs. Carolina) as his explosiveness is starting to return.
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-run-game-key-best-5-trending-right-tony-pollard

Statistical indicators are starting to return for the running game, also.

Pollard's run average is back up to 4.0
Dowdle's run average is up to 4.3

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And here's what you missed: 4 HC's have taken two different teams to the super bowl: Parcells, Shula, Dan Reeves, and Dick Vermeil.
No, I didn't miss that, they all lost those SBs. My post was that no coach had won with different teams.

And there are also many other coaches that won a SB and didn't even make it to another one with a different team, let alone win it.

Just showing that since in 55 years it's never happened that it's unlikely. 55 years is a long time....

CCBoy

Reaction score
This one you're in left field upon. Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith, Zac Martin are all top shelf. Those three alone can keep any group fully functional. Look again...there is plenty of other talent to keep the standard top shelf.

You need to pay attention to the changes in time for passes as well and yardage productions have steadily improved and will some more as the season progresses. The strength of the passing game is just starting to come into view and with more field stretching the running will continue until it is again a top 10 level against all comers. The past four to five games it already improved to a strength again.

The Cowboys offensive line isn’t flawless by any means, but they are improving at a time when offensive line play is absolutely critical, and they have yet to plateau. A case can be made they have yet to reach their full potential and the best days are still to come.

The biggest factor in their continued ascent is clearly their continued health. Tyron Smith hasn’t played a full season since seemingly the Bush administration. He’s already missed time and is currently on a special practice schedule that preserves him for game day. But at the same time, he’s currently graded as the No. 2 OT in the NFL, so if Smith can stay healthy, the sky is the limit for the Dallas offensive line.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-offensive-line/

In Ben Baldwin’s recent composite rankings consisting of PFF, SIS, and ESPN grades, the Cowboys offensive line has moved up to 14th in pass protection and fifth in run blocking.

Pollard:

He has had runs of 14, 22, 27, and 21 yards (touchdown run vs. Carolina) as his explosiveness is starting to return.
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-run-game-key-best-5-trending-right-tony-pollard

Statistical indicators are starting to return for the running game, also.

Pollard's run average is back up to 4.0
Dowdle's run average is up to 4.3
Minimum block time is 2.0 but standard projection is 2.4.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Yeah, now that this team has a taste of what it's like to go to the playoffs, it won't be new to most of them, and they'll have a certain hunger and swagger going into them..

I want to see Dak keep his confidence up. If McCarthy focuses on one thing from now until the playoffs, I hope it's Dak's confidence.
Our fans are like toddlers. They'll cry about anything. Just tune them out, focus and hopefully everyone is healthy enough to prove the doubters and haters wrong. This is a good team. This team has enough talent. They just have to find a way to get it done.

McCarthy's recent adjustments are all I ever wanted to see in the first place. So, good job by the HC. I figure we'll see him back again next year.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I like big mike. I just want to see better situational awareness in-game.
This is also my biggest complaint. I suspect he's working on it. That said, no coach is perfect. I just think he's got the right idea about how to fix things. But he's better at fixing and adjusting over a week's time rather than in-game, like you say. That has been my biggest complaint about McCarthy. Still my only real complaint. Let's hope he's improved and proves us wrong.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is also my biggest complaint. I suspect he's working on it. That said, no coach is perfect. I just think he's got the right idea about how to fix things. But he's better at fixing and adjusting over a week's time rather than in-game, like you say. That has been my biggest complaint about McCarthy. Still my only real complaint. Let's hope he's improved and proves us wrong.
Momentum changes.....handle it, handle it, handle it!

Praxit

Reaction score
Respect is earned in the playoffs.
..how about respect when not making playoffs? We're lucky we have contending team with MM. That will be 3 yrs in row
. I understand we have to get over the hump, but you got to reach the tournaments first.

Gambit

Reaction score
You mean the guy that handed MM the Keys to one of the top offenses in the league and one of the best offensive lines which is now a shadow of its former self? These first few years sure had a nice jumping off point. Thank god we tripped over DQ and put him to work because the offense is backsliding.
Offense is backsliding?

How do you possibly quantify that?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Jerry knows how to hire them after his failed 90’s dynasty boys. Campo to Parcells. Garrett to McCarthy.

People forget, numbers-wise in NFL career, Big Mac was probably the best candidate available that offseason. No HOF coaches available, but hopefully Big Mac wins the big games here and becomes one.